Excursion Refunds

Noneeds4me

We just returned from a spectacular Alaska cruise on the Star Princess.  AWESOME trip, and experience with Princess!  That said, now that we’re home...we are struggling with getting refunded for two different excursions from that trip.  

One was canceled 6/29/19.  The website states we will be refunded to the credit card originally charged within 24 hours (if canceled outside of five days prior to sail date, which it was). Sail date was 7/7/19.   That did not happen.  We’ve called numerous times (also to our cruise consultant) and been given numerous answers, and whom else to contact because they are not the correct people.  We even checked with Customer Services onboard the Star and got another referral....even leading to them suggesting I misunderstood the policy and it can take up to 15 days.  I double checked the cancelation policy and have not misunderstood it.  So I wait...and wait...  I know I’ll have to start calling again on Monday.

Okay, well...while onboard, we had second excursion scheduled for Skagway (7/11/19) canceled by the cruise line for lack of participants. Silly me thought the refund would go to our Stateroom Account, but it did not.  Today is 7/19, and we still have not received the refund for that excursion, nor ever received anything stating how our refund would be handled.  When home, I called (again), and I was referred to Customer Relations.   It was recommended that I call instead of email because email correspondence takes a lot longer.  I was also told Stateroom credits are mailed out in around 4-6 weeks, but he could not help me because he doesn’t have access to my account.  So, I called Customer Relations.  I ended up with a recording stating I must contact them via email afterall, (sigh).  I sent off an email on 7/15/19 and am still awaiting a response other than the automatically generated return email from them.  

I love Princess but this is ridiculous.  Nobody seems to have any answers?  What was a fantastic cruise is quickly becoming a post cruise headache.  It should not be this difficult to talk to someone who can help us, OR find someone that knows what the policy is.

We already have another cruise booked with Princess (we’re Platinum Members), but sadly, I’m really starting to reconsider.

Is anyone else going through this? We can’t be the only people who are due excursion refunds?

I cancelled a shorex onboard last month and it was refunded as OBC to my stateroom account that day. That's odd that yours was not. And your 6/29 shorex should have been refunded to your credit card of purchase since it was within the five days prior to sailing. I don't know why it is being handled like that, was it paid for with OBC maybe? 

Wow, that is unacceptable!  I would be very upset indeed. I am curious what is causing this delay on your refund, I've done refunds both before and during cruises with them and never had anything like that. Please update when you hear back from Princess! Hope your refund shows up soon! 

I would call the Executive Guest Relations post cruise department to ensure the credit will appear on your credit card. They usually inform you that it can take a billing cycle or so to process. 

Do you have the invoice showing the refund? If not I would ask for a, copy. Next time I would go to the Shore Excursion Desk or Guest Relations soon after learning that your excursion was cancelled for the refund or to chose a comparable excursion. 

For me on Royal Caribbean when the port was cancelled I went to view my bill on the TV and saw the OBC right away and asked for a copy of the shipboard account reflecting this. 

I would never wait until I was off the ship to dispute my bill. I do it no later than the morning before my departure so as not to wait in long lines. Now with ship applications I view the bill on my phone. Is there a dispute or review transaction option on these apps? And if so it would reduce time spending in line. 

If would be nice for notifications on the app such as a Charge was made to your account do you approve it or wish to dispute it?  Or a refund is being processed for the cancelled excursion. 

No, it was not given as OBC.  That was my hope when we boarded.  One of the first things we did on day 1 was to go to Customer Services (onboard) to see what they could tell us about it.  By the end of the cruise, we had not been refunded for either of the two canceled excursions.   We did go to Customer Services onboard a SECOND time on the morning of disembarkation at the end of the cruise. We were told the same thing...wait.  I have all our paperwork showing we paid for the excursions and I know Princess will make it ‘right’, it’s just a very poor way of doing business...my opinion.  Oh...the credit cards used are in my name, and so were the excursions.  Two different cards for two different excursions.  I’m going to give them til Monday and if no refund/s, I’ll call again.  I have already emailed Princess Customer Relations at the email someone suggested.  Received an automatic response saying my email had been received and they’ll be in touch.  It’s hard to be patient when it feels like nobody is trying to help rectify the problems, and now we’re HOME and the trip is behind us.

Thanks everyone, for your feedback.

Edited by Noneeds4me
  • Like 1

We cancelled our Princess excursion for the Crown in September 2 days ago on line and received a full refund back to our credit card yesterday....easy...just like they stated in the cancellation policy....24 hours....thx Princess!

If Princess only had one credit card from you and no refund has been received than I would do a charge back on my credit card with the credit card company.  This will get Princess attention to take care of the matter.  You have to give an explanation of why you are doing it and they will than investigate to prove you wrong and hopefully find the error.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 11:04 AM, rocklinmom said:

I cancelled a shorex onboard last month and it was refunded as OBC to my stateroom account that day. That's odd that yours was not. And your 6/29 shorex should have been refunded to your credit card of purchase since it was within the five days prior to sailing. I don't know why it is being handled like that, was it paid for with OBC maybe? 

Mine have always gone back as OBC (even when paid for with my credit card).

On 7/20/2019 at 9:36 PM, trvlwrld said:

We cancelled our Princess excursion for the Crown in September 2 days ago on line and received a full refund back to our credit card yesterday....easy...just like they stated in the cancellation policy....24 hours....thx Princess!

Cancelled a shore excursion on 6/21 for upcoming sailing on 10/24.  No credit appeared on my account or credit to my credit card.  Called Princess and was told it would more than likely be an on board credit. I then asked where online I could see the credit posted to my account. End result, they said I would receive a credit on my credit card 10-15 days from today. This is the second time I had to call (2 different cancellations) and I had to ask for a credit to my credit card. Just FYI

3 minutes ago, Noneeds4me said:

We have now been told by customer relations themselves that they’re working on it and not to expect a refund for 4-6 weeks.  Not good Princess!!!

If they are issuing a check - look very carefully at your mail. It will be basic envelope that will say Bottomline as the sender and I think Princess underneath that. Many people would mistake this as junk mail.