Flights by celebrity pay later

shipster60

I know this is a cruise air question, but it’s specific to Celebrity. I booked flights through Celebrity for a March 2020 cruise. I chose the pay later option. My flight shows up on American Airlines but it won’t let me choose seats. I called back to flights by Celebrity and was told it had to be paid for and ticketed first and that won’t be until Feb. even though final payment is Dec.That doesn’t make sense to me because I have already booked through them for a September cruise and I was able to pick my seats right away. That time it was before final payment as well. Those flights were with United. Hopefully someone can help me clarify this. Should I call back and talk to someone else?

We were not able to choose seats for our flights in October with American until final payment was made. We paid about a month before final payment was due, and within minutes I went to the AA site and selected seats. I wonder if the rep with whom you spoke was confused about your final payment date.

We booked the pay later deal as well... but something to keep in mind... even though you pay later... you may not be able to cancel. We had planned on driving...but on a lark I decided to check out the cost of flying from ATL to FLL. The flights I ended up booking were $150/pp round trip... so I could not beat that ...so I went ahead and booked this... about two months before the 90 period. In the back of my mind.. i was thinking I could cancel flights...if we had to cancel trip... but when I got the invoice I noticed that the cancelation charge was $200/pp. I was not planning to cancel..but it did bother me that no one thought to mention this cancellation fee.... no problem we are going... but just keep the possibility of a cancellation fee in mind. Now despite this incredibly low fare... I was able to select our seats when I logged onto Delta site.

Shipster60, the Flights By Celebrity rep gave you some bad information. Once the flights are paid you can immediately book your seats.

We also have the "Pay Later" option for our upcoming cruise in October but in our case the flight was paid for about a month before our final payment was due. I don't know why.....maybe because we booked business class seats and they had to be paid for sooner...just a guess. Anyway, I was able to access the seating chart and book our seats at that time.

If it makes you nervous not having seat assignments until very close to when you fly you can always choose to pay for the flight portion in advance by calling Choice Air.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your cruise!!!!

5 hours ago, kearney said:

We booked the pay later deal as well... but something to keep in mind... even though you pay later... you may not be able to cancel. We had planned on driving...but on a lark I decided to check out the cost of flying from ATL to FLL. The flights I ended up booking were $150/pp round trip... so I could not beat that ...so I went ahead and booked this... about two months before the 90 period. In the back of my mind.. i was thinking I could cancel flights...if we had to cancel trip... but when I got the invoice I noticed that the cancelation charge was $200/pp. I was not planning to cancel..but it did bother me that no one thought to mention this cancellation fee.... no problem we are going... but just keep the possibility of a cancellation fee in mind. Now despite this incredibly low fare... I was able to select our seats when I logged onto Delta site.

A Flights by Celebrity rep told me that the $200 cancellation fee doesn't apply until you pay for the flights.  We've changed our flights twice to take advantage of price drops, so I checked on that before having them cancel the original flights and booking other flights.

The rep also was able to select seats for us, although I suppose I won't know for certain until we pay for the flights next month.

10 hours ago, STLCRUISIN said:

Shipster60, the Flights By Celebrity rep gave you some bad information. Once the flights are paid you can immediately book your seats.

In the UK when booking, Celebrity have block bookings on certain commonly used flights that they expect to fill, even though payment has been made they dont release the tickets for the whole block until about 30 days before flight. ie the airline doesnt have the names yet even though they know its booked. Maybe its something like that.

Edited by JBare

We booked our seats and were able to choose our seats before we paid, It was on United, they did change our return flight without checking with us. 

We fly in a month and hope all will work out, this is our first time using flights by Celebrity, we got a good price, but let’s see if it’s worth it!!!

We also had no problem with Delta.  Great that you do not have to pay until the cruise final payment is due and can check and change your reservation without penalty prior to final payment. As said previously, you choose your seat and if you see that the price goes down just call choice air and they will adjust.

I booked through Celebrity Air many months ago for round trip to Buenos Aires in January, 2020.  I was able to go to the American website and select my seats the same day I made the flight reservation.  I don't know if it makes any difference, but my ticket is first class.  Celebrity Air should give you a record locator number for the airline, and you then can go there directly and select seats.

Carolyn

I've been pleased with Flights by Celebrity so far. Made two changes so far with no hassles (lower rates or better flights). Our final payment is not until October.

I don't think we could pick our seats with EVA air (prior to payment) but had no issues doing so with United. For this reason, I am pretty sure it is not a "Flights by Celebrity" restriction but dependent on the airline and their agreement with Celebrity and may also vary by fare type.