Last one off the ship?

FaithPlus1

Trying to figure out on departure what would be the best time for me to get off based on how I want to spend the day. 

This is on an Alaskan cruise that debarks at Seward. Can you stay on the ship until 11AM? I know you typically need to be out of your room earlier. 

Thanks

Most times we have been asked to be out of our cabin by 8:30 and off the ship before 10 am.  They need to turnover the cabins quickly for those embarking but the public areas have a bit more flexibility.  Just remember - they are really pressed to get ready for an entire new group of passengers.  Quite honestly I’m amazed at how quickly they get it done.

43 minutes ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Trying to figure out on departure what would be the best time for me to get off based on how I want to spend the day. 

This is on an Alaskan cruise that debarks at Seward. Can you stay on the ship until 11AM? I know you typically need to be out of your room earlier. 

Thanks

I agree with the other posters.  Get off and enjoy Seward.  

We once sailed on a RCCL ship and they had a programme where for about £50 (I think) pp you could stay on longer.  We had lots of time before our flight so I paid to stay on.  My family hated it because they felt so awkward amongst people coming on to enjoy the whole 7 days.  

Sitting around in public places waiting for time to pass is not my favourite pastime.  In fact we usually self-disembark early - and breakfast in our cabin with fruit and yoghurts that we have selected the previous day and stored in the fridge.  We avoid that 'end of party' feeling.  

• Like 1

I've been to Seward off the Sun years ago. The "stuff" walking distance from where you get off were just a lot of stores. I just would rather relax on a ship longer than to walk around souvenir shops. To each his own! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, FaithPlus1 said:

I've been to Seward off the Sun years ago. The "stuff" walking distance from where you get off were just a lot of stores. I just would rather relax on a ship longer than to walk around souvenir shops. To each his own! 

Fair enough - we went from Whittier.  Not much there either TBH.  

Downtown Seward is nice, not the junk around the cruise terminal.  The main town is about a mile away, there is the Aquarium and the shops downtown have more character and "old timey" feel.  Saw 2 whales out in the bay by the aquarium.  Otherwise you will be off the ship at about 10 am.  You will have to spend most of the time in the buffet or in the atrium  and then they will absolutely make you leave at final call.  All breakfast options will close early as well.

8 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks

Probably you are going to be the last one on the ship is you are still there at 8:00 a.m. Last call will probably be before 9:00. Most people take the train transfer to Anchorage that leaves around 6:30. You need  to figure out how you are going to Anchorage. The regular train leaves late afternoon, though you can probably check your bag that morning at the station. You can take a glacier tour that leaves early and gets you back in time for the train.

Your other options are to stay in Seward a few days, rent a car one way to Anchorage or take a transfer by bus.

Edited by zqvol

9 hours ago, FaithPlus1 said:

Thanks

They will call all ashore around 9:30. You need to be off by 10:00. Once they get to a zero count, they will turn the ship over and start boarding the next cruise before 11:00. 

On a Caribbean Cruise sailing from New York, we went to lunch - probably between 12:00 - 2:00 PM.  Hostess was initially hesitant to seat us, as she explained the occupants of our room from the previous sailing, were still on board.   

I "assume" it was an NCL snafu, as I doubt Homeland Security would allow us to board while passengers had not yet disembarked (no zero count).

I very carefully perused my on-board charges for that day.

19 hours ago, zqvol said:

Probably you are going to be the last one on the ship is you are still there at 8:00 a.m. Last call will probably be before 9:00. Most people take the train transfer to Anchorage that leaves around 6:30. You need  to figure out how you are going to Anchorage. The regular train leaves late afternoon, though you can probably check your bag that morning at the station. You can take a glacier tour that leaves early and gets you back in time for the train.

Your other options are to stay in Seward a few days, rent a car one way to Anchorage or take a transfer by bus.

The bus to the airport leaves at 8:30am. So I'm assuming those not on the 630am train will be on the 8:30am bus.