Disembarkation at Southampton

steve333

On reading our cruise documents for our upcoming cruise it states disembarkation times will be advised onboard,as we are travelling by taxi I am trying to work out a safe time to give our driver to collect us,from past experience what is the latest time you can disembark(easy to identify cases and most of passengers would have left the port)when the cruise ship has docked in Sothampton(I think it’s due around 7 am),also,our cruise documents advise we need to have a valid credit card for onboard purchases to be registered but we only have debit cards and have had no issues with other cruise lines before so do P and O accept debit cards for this purpose?(thanks for any help,Steve)

Debit cards will be accepted, with regards to disembarkation if ship arrives as expected and not arrived late which has happened on a number of occasions recently then I would imagine arranging for your taxi to be there for 1030 would be about right and be one of the last off the ship.

4 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

Debit cards will be accepted, with regards to disembarkation if ship arrives as expected and not arrived late which has happened on a number of occasions recently then I would imagine arranging for your taxi to be there for 1030 would be about right and be one of the last off the ship.

Hi.many thanks for the reply,much appreciated,Steve.

I always ask for the last possible disembarkation slot then usually wait in the Crows Nest until a final announcement is made asking all remaining passengers to leave the ship - a very civilised experience. My cases are usually the last in the baggage hall and easily identifiable. The car park too, is usually empty by then and a safe, trouble-free drive off. I am always off the ship between 10.00 and 10.15.- so, as advised, booking a taxi for 10.30 would be just about right.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sir Cumference said:

I always ask for the last possible disembarkation slot then usually wait in the Crows Nest until a final announcement is made asking all remaining passengers to leave the ship - a very civilised experience. My cases are usually the last in the baggage hall and easily identifiable. The car park too, is usually empty by then and a safe, trouble-free drive off. I am always off the ship between 10.00 and 10.15.- so, as advised, booking a taxi for 10.30 would be just about right.

My thinking too-thanks for your thoughts,Steve.

Debit cards are accepted but be aware that P&O, along with most hotels, put a daily reservation on your card based on your current spend. This ring fences a sum of money on your account which reduces the balance available for other spend such as direct debits or other outgoings. Money is not taken from your card at this stage but it ensures that sufficient funds are available when payment is taken is taken at the end of the cruise. These reservations can stay on your account for a few days longer.

I would therefore recommend the use of a credit card to avoid these problems or ensure your debit card account has a healthy balance to cover your expected on board spend at all times.

Brian

12 minutes ago, BrianI said:

Debit cards are accepted but be aware that P&O, along with most hotels, put a daily reservation on your card based on your current spend. This ring fences a sum of money on your account which reduces the balance available for other spend such as direct debits or other outgoings. Money is not taken from your card at this stage but it ensures that sufficient funds are available when payment is taken is taken at the end of the cruise. These reservations can stay on your account for a few days longer.

I would therefore recommend the use of a credit card to avoid these problems or ensure your debit card account has a healthy balance to cover your expected on board spend at all times.

Brian

Thanks for the heads up Brian,I will have enough in the account to cover d/debits due out and onboard charges plus I have an authorised overdraft on that account just in case-thanks,Steve.

Your other option is self-disembarkation - ship to taxi rank in two minutes, straight through the baggage hall without stopping, and at the taxi rank before the hordes arrive.

There is a further option I have used, but I fear there would be some serious 'tut tutting' if I mentioned it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve333 said:

On reading our cruise documents for our upcoming cruise it states disembarkation times will be advised onboard,as we are travelling by taxi I am trying to work out a safe time to give our driver to collect us,from past experience what is the latest time you can disembark(easy to identify cases and most of passengers would have left the port)when the cruise ship has docked in Sothampton(I think it’s due around 7 am),also,our cruise documents advise we need to have a valid credit card for onboard purchases to be registered but we only have debit cards and have had no issues with other cruise lines before so do P and O accept debit cards for this purpose?(thanks for any help,Steve)

We use a credit card but you could set up a cash account at Guest Services and settle up on the last night.

We have cases with 4 wheels and always push them off the ship ourselves.

You can go to the buffet and have breakfast and leave when they call last ones off.

You can ring for a taxi when you are in the terminal.

We use Radio Taxis who are probably the biggest and cheapest taxi firm in Southampton.

Radio text you the taxi reg,make of car and when they arrive at the terminal so you know which taxi is yours 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

We too always ask for the latest disembarkation time slot and this is usually about 10.30am. However quite often the disembarkation process is quicker than anticipated. When this happens the time slots are all brought forward so that final announcement asking all remaining passengers to leave the ship can be as early as 9.30am.

Julia

• Like 2

As you have to vacate the cabin by 0800, sitting around for 2.5 hours amongst everyone else's hand baggage has never appealed to us.  We have breakfast and at 0815, we walk off the ship with all our baggage.  It's good.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, steve333 said:

On reading our cruise documents for our upcoming cruise it states disembarkation times will be advised on board,as we are travelling by taxi I am trying to work out a safe time to give our driver to collect us,from past experience what is the latest time you can disembark (easy to identify cases and most of passengers would have left the port)when the cruise ship has docked in Southampton (I think it’s due around 7 am) ,also, our cruise documents advise we need to have a valid credit card for on board purchases to be registered but we only have debit cards and have had no issues with other cruise lines before so do P and O accept debit cards for this purpose? (thanks for any help,Steve)

My way of thinking is that the Southampton Rush Hour happens Monday to Friday and does not happen Saturday and Sunday. Weekend disembarkation I aim for early to get home earlier whereas midweek I go for later disembarkation.  You also have to look into vacating your cabin by 8am, another consideration to factor in.  I get as much packed into suitcases to make the final hand luggage easy to walk up/down stairs with as lifts are full with two people and four cases when people only need a one deck transit.  I do MDR breakfast last day having put my tiny hand bags into the wardrobe.  Cabin stewards have never queried this and putting your "make up the room" sign helps them.  Sometimes they run a first/second sitting system with queuing and a 15 minute admission window.  The personal disembarkation time you are advised is in response to a newsletter you get earlier in the week.  So make sure you request what you want and take the note to reception. If unsuccessful take the stuff down to reception and request a change. These are two important reasons to read the Newsletter.

Taxis picking up at 9am is reasonable and if you have the drivers mobile number you can communicate better.  Telling a guy your next to the ship in a crowd of 2,000 people and him saying I am by the ship in a red Ford is not detailed enough neither is a pre-arranged place unless you specify somewhere distinct and easy to find.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Thanks 1

Just thinking about our disembarkation from Arcadia after our cruise which is soon to start.  A late departure will suit us best as we have a long drive ahead so good to start the day more relaxed.

One thing that we have found a nuisance in the past when leaving cruise ships though is that they tend to close various toilets as the number of people on the ship diminish.  Can I ask if P&O normally do that now?  Also, if they do can anyone suggest where we are most likely to find toilets that are still open on Arcadia if we leave the ship later?

Edited by tring

12 minutes ago, tring said:

Just thinking about our disembarkation from Arcadia after our cruise which is soon to start.  A late departure will suit us best as we have a long drive ahead so good to start the day more relaxed.

One thing that we have found a nuisance in the past when leaving cruise ships though is that they tend to close various toilets as the number of people on the ship diminish.  Do P&O normally do that now and, if so, can anyone suggest where we are most likely to find toilets that are still open on Arcadia if we leave the ship later?

I always try not to think about disembarkation at all. Depression then kicks in if I do.

• Like 3

Just go to reception and ask to change your time. They are usually very accommodating.

if you want to self disembark you can only do it during a very short window, usually 7 to 7:45 and you have to carry ALL your luggage with you. Main disembarkation starts around 8:45 and will be complete around 10. Times may change if there are problems. 

Brian

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sarah1974 said:

How do you ask for a disembarkation time?  When I sailed Britannia in June we were allocated a time.  Could we have asked for that to be changed?  I had too much luggage to carry it all off myself!

Just visit the bureau and they will rearrange if possible. It used to be more difficult but they seem keen to accommodate your wishes. 

• Like 1

Thanks for a speedy response Brian.  My allocated time was 10.30 am - I've never been off a ship so late.  And whilst waiting to disembark the fire alarm went off in the terminal so disembarkation was suspended for a short time!  Thankfully they were ahead of things at that point and it was sorted out very quickly so will still departed more or less as advised

On 8/1/2019 at 4:12 PM, Sarah1974 said:

How do you ask for a disembarkation time?  When I sailed Britannia in June we were allocated a time.  Could we have asked for that to be changed?  I had too much luggage to carry it all off myself!

A few days prior to disembarkation the newsletter comes round advising the disembarkation procedure and a system of requesting your time slot. In the past it has been a form to fill in and hand in at Reception.  Then a couple of days later when disembarkation is imminent your colour code and number tags arrive and you put them on cases and leave them out overnight for collection and delivery to port side luggage hall.  If your slot is unsuitable take all the tags down explain that you need an alternative and they often can agree to this within a slot each way at least.  Most people fail to read the newsletter as all week it has not been an enthralling publication,  cannot motivate themselves to walk to Reception.  They then get the default slots, slack and vacant ones most people wont choose as a preferred option.  They end up on Black 12 or whatever and cannot understand why this has happened to them.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

On Oriana in early July they used a different system.  There was no allocated times.  After Breakfast you went to the theatre and we’re disembarked in the order you arrived at the theatre. They had Antiques Roadshow playing for our entertainment.  We had a late Breakfast in the Dinning room and waited perhaps fifteen minutes. Suite passengers may have been handled differently. Self disembarkation was also available as usual. 

I am am not sure if this different system is now used across the fleet. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

11 hours ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

On Oriana in early July they used a different system.  There was no allocated times.  After Breakfast you went to the theatre and we’re disembarked in the order you arrived at the theatre. They had Antiques Roadshow playing for our entertainment.  We had a late Breakfast in the Dinning room and waited perhaps fifteen minutes. Suite passengers may have been handled differently. Self disembarkation was also available as usual. 

I am am not sure if this different system is now used across the fleet. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

That sounds a better system to me, I love Antiques Roadshow...😀

It also allows me to hide on the ship until you lot have gone, wander down and find my luggage easily as it is the only one left...

Andy

• Like 1

We have always got off our ships by 9.30 with no special arrangements. The only time it didn't happen was when we used the mobility help system where the porters were swamped so ended up being much later than we expected.