Recent TX cruisers- Dr Pepper available?

Banditswife

I am a Dr Pepper-aholic.  When sailing out of Galveston a few yrs ago, Dr Pepper was available to purchase , while other embarkation ports usually only have, IMO, the inferior Mr Pibb.  So I am wondering if this is still the case.   And why, does it have anything to do with TX Laws? Or is it because it is readily available in TX because it was 1st created in TX?  Just asking so that I will know if I need to carry on a 6pk.  I'd rather just buy it from the bar.

2 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

Isn't DP and Pepsi product? Carnival serves Coke products.

Dr Pepper is weird in that way.  Some distributers carry Coke & Dr Pepper, while most carry Dr Pepper with Pepsi.  When traveling through TX or sailing out of TX, I found Dr Pepper more readily available.  Just wondering if that is still the case.  

1025Cruise: I hope you are right.

1 hour ago, fyree39 said:

Isn't DP and Pepsi product? Carnival serves Coke products.

DP is a product of the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.  In areas where they don't have their own distributors, they "outsource" distribution to either a local Coke or Pepsi distributor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr Pepper is available on cruises out of Texas because so darned many of us drink the stuff! Carnival started stocking it onboard Galveston cruises just to satisfy the demand.

I do find that Diet Dr Pepper can be harder to find, onboard though....

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

DP is a product of the Dr. Pepper Snapple Group.  In areas where they don't have their own distributors, they "outsource" distribution to either a local Coke or Pepsi distributor.

Yes this makes sense.  It seems like it varies by region.

10 hours ago, Banditswife said:

I agree w/ shaded lady.  Cola & a splash of cherry does NOT equal Dr Pepper.  Mr Pibb is a poor sub also.

That's funny.  In Michigan, if it isn't Vernors, it isn't ginger ale. There is no substitute!

On 8/4/2019 at 3:59 PM, Shaded Lady said:

Sorry- not the same.... in Texas Dr Pepper is second only to beer! and we know the fake substitutes!

It's a shame Dublin Dr. Pepper is a thing of the past.
But I know that as a true Texan you also drink Hot Dr. Pepper, yes?

2 minutes ago, Chervil said:

I'm a native Texan - I usually drink one Dr. Pepper a day - so by the time I finish it might be hot but I don't think I would like it hot like coffee or hot chocolate.🥴

10 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Never said it was. Just a suggestion. Sorry.

No apology needed- the sentiment is appreciated!

4 minutes ago, Chervil said:

Sorry- I'm not THAT true a Texan!!! I like my Dr Pepper icy cold!!

2 minutes ago, mommybear487 said:

I'm a native Texan - I usually drink one Dr. Pepper a day - so by the time I finish it might be hot but I don't think I would like it hot like coffee or hot chocolate.🥴

3 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

No apology needed- the sentiment is appreciated!

Sorry- I'm not THAT true a Texan!!! I like my Dr Pepper icy cold!!

If you've never tried it before, then this winter, do yourself a favor.
Pour some in a pot, and slice up an orange.
Float the orange slices on top and bring it almost to a boil.

The hotter temperature changes it and brings out a bit more of the citrusy flavors in it and it is a completely different taste than one that has just been sitting around and got hot.

Great for a sore throat and very soothing on a cold day.
In fact, you can find it at the concession stands of a lot of the high school football games in the winter months!

I like mine icy cold too, but in the winter it makes a nice change from hot tea!

• Like 1

On 8/4/2019 at 12:52 PM, Banditswife said:

I am a Dr Pepper-aholic.  When sailing out of Galveston a few yrs ago, Dr Pepper was available to purchase , while other embarkation ports usually only have, IMO, the inferior Mr Pibb.  So I am wondering if this is still the case.   And why, does it have anything to do with TX Laws? Or is it because it is readily available in TX because it was 1st created in TX?  Just asking so that I will know if I need to carry on a 6pk.  I'd rather just buy it from the bar.

Our Grandson had it every night in the dining room on his cruise on the Vista July 27.

10 hours ago, CruisingViper said:

count me as a native Texan that can't stand Dr Pepper.

Publicly stating this seriously risks  the revocation of your "Native Texan" status 😛

From what I have been told, all cruises out of Galveston and New Orleans have Dr Pepper.   

I was on the Carnival Breeze  for 14 days when they repossitioned from Galveston to Port Canaveral. I was worried that Dr. Pepper would be replaced by Mr Pib mid-cruise when they resupplied, but had it throughout the entire cruise 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I won't have to carry on a 6 pk for my Vista cruise in Sept.  Nov we have Breeze booked, but are flying in, so nearly impossible to carry on for that one.  Guess I'll have to go cold turkey til I can find it in a port.  I just wish CCL would offer Dr P on all ships.  I'd be willing to pay their $10 for a 6pk if they sold it to have in our cabin.

Edited by Banditswife