Cruise Docs on My iPhone

bankofdad

Hey, need some feedback!  Leaving on a cruise out of NOLA this Sunday.

I travel constantly for work and rely on the docs on my device everywhere I go, so I tend to take that for granted.

But, it has been a couple of years since cruising.  I have the HUB app, and it shows my docs on there.  Do I really need to print my docs before leaving or is Carnival good with scanning the docs from my iPhone?  Would be more convenient for me!

Thanks in advance for the input!

Don't know the answer, but if it was me, I would print the boarding passes just in case the phone gets lost or damaged or the battery dies.  And you still have to print the luggage tags, unless you want to carry on all your luggage or have the porter tag them at the curb.  Those are the only 2 documents you have to print.

• Like 1

I actually accidentally printed my documents for my daughter and myself double sided last cruise out of NOLA.  In Carnivals book this was no good.  I usually sail NCL and they combine everyone in the cabin to one scan but Carnival does not (everyone needs a copy of their documents).  They printed my daughters documents for me when I was checking in. They give you a receipt looking piece of paper that prints from the scanner. So I assume as long as they can scan the bar code they should be able to print you what you need to board.  

I would print them out.    Too many variables on what ifs     Have you ever tried checking in when the computers were down?  they could only process those with birth certificates--   others had to wait. 

I'm a port agent and not all ports can accept doc's off your phone.  Print them out so they can be quickly scanned with the hand held scanners used by the agents.  

If using a passport, have it out with your boarding pass.  If using government issued photo ID, have your birth certificate with the id.

You can make it faster and easier to have your printed docs and identification ready instead of having to dig through large purses or carry on luggage.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, venicia said:

I'm a port agent and not all ports can accept doc's off your phone.  Print them out so they can be quickly scanned with the hand held scanners used by the agents.  

If using a passport, have it out with your boarding pass.  If using government issued photo ID, have your birth certificate with the id.

You can make it faster and easier to have your printed docs and identification ready instead of having to dig through large purses or carry on luggage.

Agreed its faster and easier to have them printed. All ports though have capabilities to find you by your name or your room number and them print a boarding pass.

3 hours ago, serene56 said:

I would print them out.    Too many variables on what ifs     Have you ever tried checking in when the computers were down?  they could only process those with birth certificates--   others had to wait. 

I have, more than once. Each agent has a copy of the manifest and when you present your Id they will check to see if you are on it. If you are, they will fill out the downtime sheet by putting your name, your room number, and your travel document number, i.e. passport or drivers license number. 

When the machines come back up all of those papers are gathered and agents check passengers in through the computer system. 

This delays things significantly but one group, such as passport holders, are not made to wait any longer than anyone else. 

On our Sunrise cruise last month, we were trying to use the app and we were pulled aside and someone with a portable printer on their belt printed out a tag for us.  So at least in NY the answer is you need paper.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

On our Sunrise cruise last month, we were trying to use the app and we were pulled aside and someone with a portable printer on their belt printed out a tag for us.  So at least in NY the answer is you need paper.  

This... You can arrive without paper,  but they will print you one. 

The embark machines they use now, which replaced the desko machines in some ports, don't always read a bar code off the phone.

By the way, if you are using a passport they don't scan your boarding pass. It checks you  in when the swipe it. If you use birth certificate they wI'll scan the bar code on your boarding pass,then select "bc".

Edited by Lottacruises

Interesting.  This wasn't an option when I sailed Carnival last fall.  Made final payment this past Sunday.  Just went to the HUB app and it let me log in with my booking # and the rest of my info.  Page says...

"All set!  Please make sure to bring your boarding documents to the terminal." 

But there's also a "documents" link that takes you to Carnival's website where you then can download the docs.  They look just like the hard copy.  I imagine you could zoom in so they could scan the barcode, but as noted already, that probably is not possible at all ports.  So, having them on the phone doesn't seem to be of much help.

I have an Android phone, so YMMV.

19 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Interesting.  This wasn't an option when I sailed Carnival last fall.  Made final payment this past Sunday.  Just went to the HUB app and it let me log in with my booking # and the rest of my info.  Page says...

But there's also a "documents" link that takes you to Carnival's website where you then can download the docs.  They look just like the hard copy.  I imagine you could zoom in so they could scan the barcode, but as noted already, that probably is not possible at all ports.  So, having them on the phone doesn't seem to be of much help.

You are correct, at least as far as checking in goes....

No, there probably isn't any "need" to continue to print things but I know that the one time I don't print and bring verification of every single thing, that will be the time that no one has any record of my excursions, or SH credit, or pre-purchased whatever.  I just know it.  So, yeah, I continue to kill trees, but only for my travel plans!

In all my experience traveling, my phone tends to have signal trouble at the most inconvenient time.  I could have full bars, walk up to the agent and for some reason it can't seem to connect.  Therefore I always have my docs printed as a backup.

3 hours ago, NCTribeFan said:

I personally feel they are pretty close to going paperless, just not there yet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ishap said:

In all my experience traveling, my phone tends to have signal trouble at the most inconvenient time.  I could have full bars, walk up to the agent and for some reason it can't seem to connect.  Therefore I always have my docs printed as a backup.

I have had the same problem when flying.  Standing in line to board and bring up the boarding pass.  Get to the ticket agent and look at my phone and it's blank.  I quit using the phone and now only print copies.  After waiting for sometimes over a year for a cruise, I'd rather waste a few sheets of paper a feel safe that I can get on that ship without a hassle.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I have had the same problem when flying.  Standing in line to board and bring up the boarding pass.  Get to the ticket agent and look at my phone and it's blank.  I quit using the phone and now only print copies.  After waiting for sometimes over a year for a cruise, I'd rather waste a few sheets of paper a feel safe that I can get on that ship without a hassle.

I always print a copy of my boarding pass too as a backup.  I have had a problem bringing up the boarding pass while boarding, so now I also take a screen shot of it.