The Key disappeared as an option

cpl100

21 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

It’s disappeared from the cruise planner as an option to buy for my March cruise on liberty. I can’t believe that many people would of  bought it already. Can you say website glitch.

it hasn't even shown up for our march cruise unless I am looking in the wrong spot. I am looking under internet and more. is that the correct area?

1 minute ago, dakram said:

it hasn't even shown up for our march cruise unless I am looking in the wrong spot. I am looking under internet and more. is that the correct area?

That is the correct area but I have seen that the Key sometimes sells out very fast, as soon as it becomes available.  There are a limited number available so that the number of people purchasing the Key does not exceed the number of reserved seats in the theaters or the number of tables in the assigned specialty restaurants for the embarkation day lunch. 

1 minute ago, actuarian said:

That is the correct area but I have seen that the Key sometimes sells out very fast, as soon as it becomes available.  There are a limited number available so that the number of people purchasing the Key does not exceed the number of reserved seats in the theaters or the number of tables in the assigned specialty restaurants for the embarkation day lunch. 

I have been checking it daily so maybe they haven't put it out there yet. we are going on the oasis.  This is our first Royal Caribbean cruise.

4 minutes ago, dakram said:

That’s  where it shows up I think. I’m not interested in purchasing it, but I think it was there before. I know for our October cruise on Enchantment it was there just a few days ago, and is no longer there. Maybe they figured out I  don’t want it , so they no longer offer it to me. But that would be a lot for their IT dept. to handle. 

1 minute ago, cherylroslyn said:

Could the Key be getting discontinued?  I just looked at my cruise which is on the 1th and it is not there....but it was there yesterday...….

I would be surprised if they would discontinue it, since they are really offering very little for the amount of money they charge for it. 

• Like 1

I am really thinking it's not worth the cost. 24.99 per day per person is a lot. When we cruised Carnival we did their faster to the fun and it was 50.00 per stateroom. and it included a lot of the same things as the key.

• Like 2

It's no longer available to book for the 3 upcoming cruises in my planner, and it was there for all of them a few hours ago. As it affects all of them, it can't be a sold out thing, must be more company wide.

Edited by NikC

5 minutes ago, NikC said:

It's no longer available to book for the 3 upcoming cruises in my planner, and it was there for all of them a few hours ago. As it affects all of them, it can't be a sold out thing, must be more company wide.

I too have 4 reservations and the key is no longer available for any of them.  However, I do not believe that they would discontinue it because it seems to be very profitable.  IMHO, it is much more likely that they are either changing the benefits, changing (increasing) the price, or both of those.  In that case, it will reappear as soon as the programming changes are completed.

Edited by actuarian
spelling

15 minutes ago, actuarian said:

I too have 4 reservations and the key is no longer available for any of them.  However, I do not believe that they would discontinue it because it seems to be very profitable.  IMHO, it is much more likely that they are either changing the benefits, changing (increasing) the price, or both of those.  In that case, it will reappear as soon as the programming changes are completed.

Now that I think about it, there is one other possibility.  For my next cruise, I was able to upgrade through RoyalUp from a JS to a GS for a bid that I had not expected to be successful.  I wonder whether the availability of The Key could have made it harder for Royal Caribbean to sell suites because so many of the suite perks are also available to people who purchase The Key.  In that case, they might have a motive to discontinue The Key, even though it is profitable.  Being in a JS with The Key gives you nearly all the benefits of being in a GS, especially if you have enough C&A points to be admitted to the Diamond Club.

Edited by actuarian
  • Like 1

I just called RCCL to ask about this, and the agent I spoke to insisted it was not discontinued and just sold-out on my cruise, but who knows.   

I really liked the benefit ( though I understand many questioned it).  I hope it is not discontinued or markedly changed, for the worse. 

20 minutes ago, elizabethbp said:

I just called RCCL to ask about this, and the agent I spoke to insisted it was not discontinued and just sold-out on my cruise, but who knows.   

I really liked the benefit ( though I understand many questioned it).  I hope it is not discontinued or markedly changed, for the worse. 

It is not available for my April 23, 2020 cruise on the Brilliance and that it over 8 months away.  I know that it often sells out in advance but The Key always seemed to be less popular on small ships like the Brilliance.  Of course, it may just not be available that far in advance.

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

It is not available for my April 23, 2020 cruise on the Brilliance and that it over 8 months away.  I know that it often sells out in advance but The Key always seemed to be less popular on small ships like the Brilliance.  Of course, it may just not be available that far in advance.

It just appeared in my Radiance 5-15-2020 sailing at 24.99

I think it depends on your sailing and what your concerns are.   For us, having it for the 5 night recent Anthem was a bonus- though one had been bought at the discount rate and the other at the "regular rate".   I am getting it again for the New Yrs cruise. We would get the Internet regardless, and then I figured in the  price of the Chops lunch ( liked it) breakfast last day ( very good), other perks we used as well  before and would use this time,   as the  priority arrival and priority departure .   (  Also, I hope we can get off early at CoCo Cay...)

The Anthem I have found is the worst ship in my years of cruising RCCL  for embarkation and departure.   At  my age, to have those expedited, as I am  not in a suite, I believe  it is worth the Key.