Specialty Restaurant Reservations for One (1)

AZ Lady

I was going to book my reservations for the 4 specialty restaurants I received in my extras package and found that the times for a single reservation are very restricted in most of the specialty restaurants -- Some to the point of only two options; 5:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.  If I change the reservation to 2 people the times open up extensively.  Is anyone interested in booking specialty restaurants with me so more times could be available. 

I am on the 12-day Italy and Greek Isle out of Venice, leaving on November 10, 2019 on the Star.  

Thanks, 

Paula

4 hours ago, AZ Lady said:

I was going to book my reservations for the 4 specialty restaurants I received in my extras package and found that the times for a single reservation are very restricted in most of the specialty restaurants -- Some to the point of only two options; 5:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.  If I change the reservation to 2 people the times open up extensively.  Is anyone interested in booking specialty restaurants with me so more times could be available. 

I am on the 12-day Italy and Greek Isle out of Venice, leaving on November 10, 2019 on the Star.  

Thanks, 

Paula

Paula, I had the same situation earlier this year on the Jade.  I was advised, and did, made reservations for each for 2.  Once I got on board I just let them know I’d be a single and there wasn’t a problem.

• Like 1

I travel solo all the time (37 cruises).  The only time I make a reservation is for Ocean Blue and only on the day I want to go.  Most of the time you can walk up to any Restaurant Hostess Desk and ask to be seated.  You might have to wait a  minute or to be seated.  I have never had a problem.

Thanks for all your responses.  I am going to take your advice  and go ahead and book my restaurants.  I only have 4 of them to book that are included in the perks I got when I booked the cruise and prefer to have those on the evenings I do not do shore excursions during the day or the day at sea.  I am also going to go to the Solo Travelers Meetup that NCL has on their ships, there may be others who have run into the same situation.  I have actually run into specialty restaurants being booked (or at least the one I wanted) solid so I tend to make reservations in advance.  Thanks again.  Take care and everyone have a great time on their cruises and/or vacations! 

Paula

• Like 1

May I piggyback on OP's post asking to clarify the answers here? When you all say to fix it to 1 person once on board, do you mean at the hostess stand right before being sat to eat each time? Or do you mean going to guest services the first day on the ship to correct all reservations at once? Fellow solo cruiser here. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that question, ldh1988.  I was thinking the reservation desk at guest services where they usually display the menus and I believe you can make reservations for the restaurants there.  I was thinking making the change for all of my reservations at one time.  Will watch for feedback on that question.  Thanks again.

Paula

Edited by AZ Lady

52 minutes ago, ldb1988 said:

May I piggyback on OP's post asking to clarify the answers here? When you all say to fix it to 1 person once on board, do you mean at the hostess stand right before being sat to eat each time? Or do you mean going to guest services the first day on the ship to correct all reservations at once? Fellow solo cruiser here. Thanks in advance.

Any time I have tried to "fix" it back to one they always say they already know.  They can see your reservation. It doesn't hurt to check to make sure, especially for Teppanyaki where they have such limited seating, but I have not had an issue in five solo cruises. 

58 minutes ago, ldb1988 said:

I usually do it at time of seating....because sometimes --when sailing solo... I do  meet up with someone at the M&G or elsewhere who wants to "share" vouchers.  Any place I would be seated as a solo..would usually be a table for 2 anyway.... (Of course Teppanyaki is an exception...since seating is so different and limited..and I would never keep a seat reservation open there )  

I travel solo on NCL frequently. I book for 2 or even 4 and usually meet people during the cruise to join me for dinner and that's just in the MDRs on sea days and holidays. Having a secured Specialty reservation will likely make you even more popular.

Two of the friends I've made and still keep in touch with from prior cruises I actually met during the check-in process. One was another solo traveler ahead of me in the security screening machine in New Orleans and the other was a couple that switched lines with me during a chaotic check in at Tampa.

Sad to hear you won't do excursions as that is another way I've made friends. Again a friend that I stay in touch with was met this way. We were on a Thanksgiving cruise and grabbed the holiday meal together. A few months later we grabbed a holiday meal when I was vacationing in her town and arrived ahead of my travelling partner.

I also recommend the solo meet ups. They are generally only as good as the participating passengers, so try to go the first couple of nights. Share that you have a table booked for X night and invite others to join you. I probably wouldn't share my entire Specialty meal itinerary, but offer one and see how it goes. We had a great solo group on a Christmas cruise and had a table or either 4 or 6 for the holiday meal and enjoyed the show together that evening, fun time.

Edited by Nola26

Nola26 ... I may have worded my post in a confusing way ... I do enjoy shore excursions quite a bit, but I do not always go every day especially when I have been to that port many times such as Rome on this cruise.  I tend to book specialty restaurants when I do not do a shore excursion or it is a sea day -- that is what I meant by that statement.   Thanks for the great advice ... I am hoping we have a good solo group on this cruise as sometimes there are not very many people that show up.  Thanks again for the advice!  

Paula

Edited by AZ Lady

On 8/11/2019 at 6:48 AM, KeithJenner said:

To confirm the above, we travel as a group of 3 and almost always book tables of 4 for restaurants. Once onboard we just change them to 3, no problem at all.

This is exactly how we work it too...….

I found the same situation with our party of 3 so I called NCL and was told that they only release approx 30 percent availability in advance the rest of the reservations are reserved for onboard. We've gone to maitre de as soon as boarding normally set up by Chinese restaurant and had no problems getting the reservations we wanted