How to talk nicely with Aussies and Kiwis?

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I started in the bank a bit later than you but the same applied, together with smile before you pick up the phone 

Did they have 'Facetime' way back then mate? 🤣

6 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Did they have 'Facetime' way back then mate? 🤣

No the theory was if you were smiling you sounded friendlier.

Another rule was phone before in person, as the customer at the counter could see you were on the phone, but the person on the phone had no idea why you weren’t picking up.

2 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

No the theory was if you were smiling you sounded friendlier.

Another rule was phone before in person, as the customer at the counter could see you were on the phone, but the person on the phone had no idea why you weren’t picking up.

I see, and there would be no partaking  of a 'Big Ben pie whilst on the phone either, the gravy makes a mess of the mouthpiece.

Drat, I am always interested in discussing politics wherever I go, and am sorry to hear that it might be considered intrusive. On the one hand I feel inspired to apologize for the inanity and insanity of our so-called President, and on the other hand I'm always very curious to learn about the world views of people in the countries I visit. So I should steer clear of all that in your part of the world?

4 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Drat, I am always interested in discussing politics wherever I go, and am sorry to hear that it might be considered intrusive. On the one hand I feel inspired to apologize for the inanity and insanity of our so-called President, and on the other hand I'm always very curious to learn about the world views of people in the countries I visit. So I should steer clear of all that in your part of the world?

Maybe that’s more of an Australian thing as many Kiwis don’t mind discussing politics at all (unless it bores them).  I love talking politics and would probably moan much less now, given that I really like our Prime Minister for the first time in ages.  

In saying that, you should tread lightly around the Treaty of Waitangi as it creates many strong polarising views here in NZ.  I identify with both my Māori and Pakeha (white) side and would happily discuss the rights and wrongs of our past and present from both a historical and somewhat more ‘middle of the fence’ perspective. But know that there are many strong opinions and history has done a lot of people wrong, so it could be a subject you wait for others to bring up.

Also, do know that not too many NZers like your president or gun laws.  If a discussion about politics begins and shifts to your country, there is a chance this could come up.  I only say that as it’s probably best to avoid political conversation at all of this might make you uncomfortable.  

7 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Not necessarily. I don't mind discussing politics but only to understand the political system of the country from which the person I am talking with comes from. e.g. Various parties,  executive powers, voting. I would avoid ideologies and getting into, for example, debates on gun control, race, immigration etc.,  or superiority of one system over another.

7 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

If you are interested in how Parliament systems work and if you are going to be in Wellington , check out the tours at Parliament Buildings .They are free and quite interesting .

8 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

If I am having a lengthy conversation with someone from another country I always am interested in their take on current political topics in their country as someone on the ground as opposed to an outsider looking in. Same goes for religion, if I meet someone from another culture who practices a religion I dont know a lot about I will ask them about it  (the discussions are never about whether it is the 'one true religion' or not, its about understanding the belief systems and practices of that religion. 

My guess is its a generational thing. While my parents always discuss politics and religion, I know this is a no go topic for a lot of their friends, and colleagues I have in that age group. I am mid 30s and most people my age seem to readily discuss politics, and religion if they themselves are not religious. 

I suggest that the 'never discuss politics or religion' is a generalization that does not cover every situation. It very much depends on the people in the discussion, and in particular how well you may know one another. I would always be cautious in bringing up such topics with 'strangers'.

Many people are actually interested in different political systems & so the conversation may head down that path. A little discretion may be required, particularly if it becomes clear that views may differ.

Mr Trump does tend to get a run when people from other countries talk with US citizens, as he clearly has polarized the world it seems. You will find people who are for or against him in Australia, and some will have particularly passionate views.

In my experience, more than any particular subject matter than an American raises/discusses it is the loudness in which they talk that is the cause of complaints. Now I have worked for an American company, based in Sydney, for over 20 years but my family view is that America would be a better country if only someone could turn the volume down.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

In my experience, more than any particular subject matter than an American raises/discusses it is the loudness in which they talk that is the cause of complaints.

If we generalise, and what are we if not generalisers, Americans tend to be brash and vulgar. While Aussies tend to be vulgar with only a little brash. While Kiwis lean more to the demure. 😎

• Haha 1

Well, I passionately detest Trump, and am beyond appalled at what our absurd gun laws have wrought, so I will applaud those who agree with me (while zipping my lip politely when in the presence of those who disagree).

I totally agree about the volume thing. I lived in France for several years, and learned there how to make very little noise at all (unless excoriating Trump, then I'm inclined to raise my voice!).

I had to Google the Treaty of Waitangi, and would be thrilled if someone would give me a proper education in those issues while I'm in NZ.

Edited by IslandThyme
  • Like 2

I will talk politics, but not religion. We were on a cruise with a lot of Americans during the lead-up to the US Presidential election in 2016. I enjoyed hearing the different points of view from our fellow cruises. Some became very passionate when expressing their views - some were pro Mr Trump and some weren't. One man even wore a red Make America Great cap most of the time.

Gun laws - that one is interesting. Nearly all Aussies are in favour of our strong anti-gun laws, while (from what I have seen) many Americans support the right to own guns. When I nicely asked why, the answer was "For protection". My question "From whom?" was answered "From the government'.

3 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

If you are interested in how Parliament systems work and if you are going to be in Wellington , check out the tours at Parliament Buildings .They are free and quite interesting .

I agree about the tour of the Parliament buildings. We found the video showing the NZ invention of a way to earthquake-proof older buildings very interesting. The tour went down to the basement where we saw how they installed this system in the very old Parliament House building. There are regular tours, more on cruiseship days.

Those people are whack jobs who have adopted an egregious "interpretation" of our Constitution.

But religion, no. I have no religion, want no religion, and am not interested in hearing about religion. That said, I love visiting beautiful cathedrals and temples, just for the art and architecture.

Perhaps I should be less frank?

Edited by IslandThyme
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

Your Donald T has some supporters here.  I am one of them, I do like his style, a bit eccentric, yes , but nobody is perfect.

I am a supporter of the NZ Prime Minister as well, very strong lady.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, mr walker said:

I suggest that the 'never discuss politics or religion' is a generalization that does not cover every situation. It very much depends on the people in the discussion, and in particular how well you may know one another. I would always be cautious in bringing up such topics with 'strangers'.

Many people are actually interested in different political systems & so the conversation may head down that path. A little discretion may be required, particularly if it becomes clear that views may differ.

Mr Trump does tend to get a run when people from other countries talk with US citizens, as he clearly has polarized the world it seems. You will find people who are for or against him in Australia, and some will have particularly passionate views.

In my experience, more than any particular subject matter than an American raises/discusses it is the loudness in which they talk that is the cause of complaints. Now I have worked for an American company, based in Sydney, for over 20 years but my family view is that America would be a better country if only someone could turn the volume down.

Certainly my experience, have had some great discussions on the forbidden three,  as long as everyone is nice about it.

10 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Your Donald T has some supporters here.  I am one of them, I do like his style, a bit eccentric, yes , but nobody is perfect.

I am a supporter of the NZ Prime Minister as well, very strong lady.

Jacinta Adhern was wonderful after Christchurch.

Don Don I’m still getting splinters in me bum, one thing I do like is he is on the whole doing what he said he’d do.

57 minutes ago, IslandThyme said:

Those people are whack jobs who have adopted an egregious "interpretation" of our Constitution.

But religion, no. I have no religion, want no religion, and am not interested in hearing about religion. That said, I love visiting beautiful cathedrals and temples, just for the art and architecture.

I reckon you're doing great so far, IMHO you'll fit right in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I reckon you're doing great so far, IMHO you'll fit right in.

She could even be made an honorary Aussie or Kiwi for the duration of her trip.  If she rips into the Vegemite, meat pies and Kiwi Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc that is.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, NSWP said:

She could even be made an honorary Aussie or Kiwi for the duration of her trip.  If she rips into the Vegemite, meat pies and Kiwi Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc that is.

Yes, she has to pass the Vegemite test though. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IslandThyme said:

I sure you will be fine. Just be 'yourself'. You are obviously aware and considerate of people's feelings and opinions, otherwise you would not be asking the questions you do. You would very quickly work out if a political conversation was not going to end well, and back off.

You might find that some people would ask you, or comment on, the current US President. I venture to say, most opinions in this part of the world would not be positive.😊

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I had to Google the Treaty of Waitangi, and would be thrilled if someone would give me a proper education in those issues while I'm in NZ.

You may not be able to open this link as it’s a NZ publication, but if you can, it’s worth a read.

http://instructionalseries.tki.org.nz/content/download/41214/459731/file/SJSL-L4-Te-Tiriti-o-Waitangi-spreads.pdf

It’s from a school journal (a free publication for NZ school children).  This one is aimed at kids in the roughly 10-14year old bracket, but I would argue that it explains the Treaty (Te Tiriti o Waitangi) better than pretty much anything else I’ve read.  

The debate now revolves around how many Treaty settlements are needed before we leave the mistakes of history in our past and move on.  This is what polarises people.  

From everything you’ve said, I think you will fit just fine here in NZ.  I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Which places are you visiting?  

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

And footy.

proper Australian Rules Football. Like nowhiners.