Rum Runners, not what you think.

rock the boat

Our upcoming cruise on the Crown will stop in Bonaire and we love the Cadushy Distillery. However the bottles have a long neck and we worry about breakage when flying. So we decided to use the rum runners in reverse to bring home some booze. What do you think?

7 minutes ago, rock the boat said:

Our upcoming cruise on the Crown will stop in Bonaire and we love the Cadushy Distillery. However the bottles have a long neck and we worry about breakage when flying. So we decided to use the rum runners in reverse to bring home some booze. What do you think?

How would that work with Customs?  Don't you have to have the sealed bottle?

Nothing brings out the flavor of a fine spirit like placing it in a plastic pouch for hours or days on end.

Looking at the bottles on their website, the necks do not appear to be all that long or skinny compared to, say, a bottle of wine. Packed properly, they will likely be fine. 

For those curious: http://www.cadushy.com/products.html

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, rock the boat said:

Was talking about transferring from the bottle to the rum runners for the flight home. The Cadushy bottles have a very long skinny neck.

Make sure it is in your check in luggage, even than TSA may confiscate it.

In the past we have used the bubble wrap sleeves sold on board to pack souvenir liquor in our luggage.

We brought some back from Cadushy, and IIRC the taller bottle was too large to use regular sleeves, so we had to wrap them in clothes and pack them that way.  They made it home safe FWIW.

I can suggest an alternative.  On a recent land-trip where we were trying to pack less volume, I purchased some vacuum bags to compress clothing.  They have a one-way valve that releases the air and allows one to pack tighter.  I think that the bottles along with some clothing would be well secured if breakage is a concern.

Image result for vacuum bag

Edited by Skai
  • Like 1

I've travelled often with bottles of wine, whisky, and liqueurs tucked into my checked in luggage, with no problems. I wrap them in bubble wrap, with extra around the necks if necessary, then put them in two zip lock bags, inverting the bottle for the second bag. Then I nestle them between layers of clothing.

• Like 1

I don't think you need the rum runners.  As others have stated, if wrapped up in your luggage they should be fine. If you want take extra precautions you could take bubble wrap for bottles.  I think you will be fine. I've traveled with bottles in my luggage. I've never had a problem with breakage (knock on wood), but weight could be a concern. 

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've travelled often with bottles of wine, whisky, and liqueurs tucked into my checked in luggage, with no problems.

I had a co-worker who had purchased some Puerto Rico rum where in Puerto Rico, paying the Puerto Rico tax. He did put the rum in his luggage.

When he was at customs, he was told "I have good news and bad news for you."

"The bad news is that since you did not pay the Federal tax, you need to do so now. The good news is that since the bottles broke in your suitcase, you do not need to pay the tax."

• Haha 2