I feel short changed

sxphil

31 minutes ago, SilkySal said:

I sometimes bring bags of the small chocolate snack bars for our room steward and various servers, who all seem to like them a lot! I'll bring some for your pillow! RIP upgrade fairy!

LOL...Bucky travels with a full bag of Dove Dark Chocolates, he eats some of them and same thing...he gives them out to cabin attendant, bar servers, waiters...etc.  😄  Cruising in December, I bring small candy canes and hang them with a magnet hook in a little stocking on our door and encourage the attendants to help themselves.  They love them!  😉 

• Like 1

On 8/22/2019 at 12:09 PM, PCWalton1 said:

Wish there were more people that would show some consideration and not camp out in the lounge for the entire happy hour. But when you offer free booze to alcoholics that what you get. 

At least I now know that I am not an alcoholic. I have never been in the lounge during happy hour.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

LOL...Bucky travels with a full bag of Dove Dark Chocolates, he eats some of them and same thing...he gives them out to cabin attendant, bar servers, waiters...etc.  😄  Cruising in December, I bring small candy canes and hang them with a magnet hook in a little stocking on our door and encourage the attendants to help themselves.  They love them!  😉 

While enjoying a glass or two of merlot or cabernet sauvignon. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

On 8/22/2019 at 12:55 PM, PCWalton1 said:

I am referring to those that each day spend the entire happy hour in the lounge. They are either inconsiderate for monopolizing a limit resource or they have an alcohol problem. What other category would they fall under?   

Yeah... like Poncho1973 said... broad brush.  I do spend much time in the lounge; not the entire HH, but from 4:30 to early seating, then maybe return for a port.  My DW and I have two drinks max each.  We like the lounge because it's intimate, quieter, and exclusive, not because we are alcoholics. 

On the Grandeur, the ship we sail most often, they open up the Concierge Lounge during HH by extending the seating out into the Viking Crown Lounge, while the DL expands into the  South Pacific Lounge to accommodate the overflow.  There is plenty of seating in my experience.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, st5310 said:

Yeah... like Poncho1973 said... broad brush.  I do spend much time in the lounge; not the entire HH, but from 4:30 to early seating, then maybe return for a port.  My DW and I have two drinks max each.  We like the lounge because it's intimate, quieter, and exclusive, not because we are alcoholics. 

On the Grandeur, the ship we sail most often, they open up the Concierge Lounge during HH by extending the seating out into the Viking Crown Lounge, while the DL expands into the  South Pacific Lounge to accommodate the overflow.  There is plenty of seating in my experience.

You don't need to justify to anyone how much time you spend or drink or not drink in the DL. Only one that matters is the DLC. 

On 8/22/2019 at 10:36 AM, sxphil said:

On my next cruise I become Diamond !!!!!!!!!!!

Every cruise I have done I have purchased the drinks package and had my moneys worth be it $38 Dollars or the Current $57

But now I am Diamond I get 3 free drinks which I feel I lose as I am purchasing the package

Shouldn't there be a discount on the package then?

The drinks in the diamond lounge suck. Just enjoy your package.

2 minutes ago, constable145 said:

The drinks in the diamond lounge suck. Just enjoy your package.

Well, they're bar brands.  But if the OP has the higher-end package, then premium brands are available to him.  Honestly, bar-brand vodka is fine in a martini; don't need Grey Goose or Tanqueray 10 gin.

16 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So, just playing devils advocate here but what would then prevent someone from spending most of the evening in the lounge drinking the free booze then stopping by a bar just before 8 to stockpile their free sodas for use the next day.  That was never the intention of the lounge or the free drinks loaded onto your Seapass.

Next you’ll have couples going up to a bar and wanting 5 of their free glasses of wine all at once but since that’s a bottle why not just give us the bottle to take back to our room.

Too many people that are never satisfied with what’s offered and trying to get every last little bit they can out of the cruise line are going to spoil the benefits that Royal provides. 

While I mostly agree with what you and others are saying, I'm under the impression that dswallow wants to take a can of soda back to the room to be consumed later that evening. I don't see how that is any different than people taking their drinks out of the DL on the way to dinner. It's against rules (very flexible rules) but nobody seems to have a problem that.  Drinks in the DL are to be consumed in the DL. I can only imagine the uproar on CC should that rule be enforced fleet-wide.

We are talking about one can of soda.....not hoarding a case of soda or taking a bottle of wine to share with non-diamond cruisers.

I see no issue with someone that has spent tens of thousands of dollars to reach a certain loyalty status wanting to maximize their benefits. ....especially when it comes to one can of soda.

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

While I mostly agree with what you and others are saying, I'm under the impression that dswallow wants to take a can of soda back to the room to be consumed later that evening. I don't see how that is any different than people taking their drinks out of the DL on the way to dinner. It's against rules (very flexible rules) but nobody seems to have a problem that.  Drinks in the DL are to be consumed in the DL. I can only imagine the uproar on CC should that rule be enforced fleet-wide.

We are talking about one can of soda.....not hoarding a case of soda or taking a bottle of wine to share with non-diamond cruisers.

I see no issue with someone that has spent tens of thousands of dollars to reach a certain loyalty status wanting to maximize their benefits. ....especially when it comes to one can of soda.

I’d love to take an unopened bottle of beer back as well, really no difference.  I think this is a case of too many taking advantage of bartenders letting them take an unopened soda back to their room that it got out of hand and Royal put a stop to it.  Like most things the few ruin it for the many.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

It's TOTALLY different than taking your drink out of the DL on the way to dinner... in that case, the person is going to drink their drink/wine pretty much immediately, not store it in their room to have with breakfast or lunch the next day.

If @dswallow wants to take an opened/poured soda out of the DL on his way to dinner, go for it.  The problem is that he wants an unopened/unpoured soda -- and that's not allowed, just like they're not going to allow you to take a bottle of liquor back to your room to consume later.  

The Diamond Happy Hour drinks are to be consumed during the posted Happy Hour... what is so hard to understand about that?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

While enjoying a glass or two of merlot or cabernet sauvignon. 🍷🍷🍷🍷

Oh you betcha!   He is a Cab boy...but wowsee....does dark chocolate go yummy with a decadent full body Red Zin! 

😋🍷

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I’d love to take an unopened bottle of beer back as well, really no difference.

Me too. I usually have one to take back to the room unopened and have it on the balcony when my DW is getting ready for dinner.  But since I have the drink package, the bartenders are okay with  it as there are no restrictions on when/where I can drink it.

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

It's TOTALLY different than taking your drink out of the DL on the way to dinner... in that case, the person is going to drink their drink/wine pretty much immediately, not store it in their room to have with breakfast or lunch the next day.

If @dswallow wants to take an opened/poured soda out of the DL on his way to dinner, go for it.  The problem is that he wants an unopened/unpoured soda -- and that's not allowed, just like they're not going to allow you to take a bottle of liquor back to your room to consume later.  

The Diamond Happy Hour drinks are to be consumed during the posted Happy Hour... what is so hard to understand about that?

Not really that hard to understand. If a person takes their  unfinished drink out of the DL - which is against the rules - to drink at dinner, when they should be using their 3 drink voucher, they are in effect breaking two rules!  If anything, that even worse.

Either enforce the rules or don't. It's the selective enforcement that causes annoyance.  Personally, I'd like to see a little lee-way....empathize on a little.

10 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

I am not diamond so I have no dog in this fight but I have to admit I find it entertaining. LOL. 

😀😀😀😀

Me neither!

But I turn diamond next cruise so I'm practicing for when I do get to use the DL in 2 cruises. But by then (18-24 months from now) , they'll probably change the rules several times.

It is entertaining and I swear I'm not trolling. Just stating my humble opinion. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HBE4 said:

😀😀😀😀

Me neither!

But I turn diamond next cruise so I'm practicing for when I do get to use the DL in 2 cruises. But by then (18-24 months from now) , they'll probably change the rules several times.

It is entertaining and I swear I'm not trolling. Just stating my humble opinion. 🙂

4 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I am not diamond so I have no dog in this fight but I have to admit I find it entertaining. LOL. 

Some of us old dogs feel the fight is worth it. 😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 8/24/2019 at 9:36 PM, dswallow said:

This is the person to whom they are "rewarding": getting the benefit. This is not sharing a drink with someone else that you got as part of your drink package, or sneaking a second entree out from a specialty restaurant for your friend. Do they collect your cocktail from happy hour exactly at 8:30 whether you finished it or not? 

I feel terribly sorry for someone I see trying to enjoy their happy hour benefit and getting told this, or who stretch their cruising budget as best they can so they can take more trips, getting treated like a thief when they go up to a bar for a beverage.

It's petty on RCCL's part.

Letting people take 12 up-to-17-ounce non-alcoholic bottles of beverages aboard, per stateroom, is petty, too. 3-day cruise, 14-day cruise, still the same limit. 1 or 2 people in the cabin, or 4 or 5, still the same limit. And even within those rules, how petty is it to say " you have to carry it on yourself, no checking it in for delivery to your cabin, no placing it in your luggage for the same reason, either. Petty. They're actively making it as inconvenient as they can while still trying to appear magnanimous in letting you have them at all.

How about requiring RCCL put that on the Diamond Happy Hour menu -- "cans or bottles will only be served opened." Let's put their pettiness in black & white for all to see and see how well that works for their public relations. Right now there's two different ways they'll serve the same beverage to someone onboard -- the way they'll do it if you pay money directly, and the way they'll do it if you pay money and earn "rewards." Petty.

Maybe I complained about slow luggage delivery and blamed it on your case of Diet Coke adding extra work to the stewards.😉

• Like 1

• Clarea locked this topic

Not sure why the original post was closed but I emailled the Executive Office to ask the Question

Litterally just put the phone down to a very nice gentleman from Miami who explained the Package is my Choice and at the moment there is no alternative in any form 

He has left it as feedback for future consideration

Good to see at least there was a response from RCCL

Loved all the responses and opinions on the original thread

• Clarea locked this topic