Hurricane Dorian talk

28 minutes ago, red devil said:

Any word regarding cocoCay? Are they in the middle of the storm?

As far as i can see, hasnt gotten to them yet.

It will get hit but if the track stays as it is now, the eye will pass north so they wont be on the 'dirty' side of the storm

1 hour ago, bclinton said:

How about the cruise line not schedule anything during hurricane season? You put all the responsibility on the traveler. The traveler pays for something...if they don't receive it they should be refunded their money. How is that such a stretch?

Wow!  I really feel sorry for you.....hope the rest of your life works out just like you plan it.  Good luck....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ticketsunlimited said:

Who could have ever guessed in a 24 hour period that EVERYTHING the cruise companies rightfully did to keep everyone safe and “happy” is the complete opposite of what could have happened. Bright and sunny at all ports today with ZERO issues with disembarking and embarkings scheduled and it looks like tomorrow could have been business as usual also. Mother Nature at her cruelest!! It literally looks like the only changes the cruise lines had to make is moving a bunch of Bahama stops.

Now those people that could have been business as usual today and moved until Wednesday may have a bigger mess to deal with when they are planning to get off the ships.

damned if you do damned if you don’t.😕

Yes, isn't it!  So happy south Florida seems to have dodged a bullet....onward!  Can't wait to board my plane to Miami!  Sunny skies are forecast...but I know the coast can rain on you daily...not a problem!  Happy trails everyone!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, atush said:

As far as i can see, hasnt gotten to them yet.

It will get hit but if the track stays as it is now, the eye will pass north so they wont be on the 'dirty' side of the storm

The forecast for the Berry Islands says just rain and wind 15-25 mph for Dorian impact.  Not bad, a little clean up and we should be sipping our Mojitos in the Oasis pool by Thursday next.

How about the cruise line not schedule anything during hurricane season? You put all the responsibility on the traveler. The traveler pays for something...if they don't receive it they should be refunded their money. How is that such a stretch?

I already posted this in another topic. I will make it short. We have been cursing for 25 years and live between Fort Lauderdale and Port Canaveral. We ALWAYS book at least 4 cruises from September to February. Always Halloween on Carnival. This only the second time a Hurricane has interrupted one of our cruises out of 25 years. Also the least expensive cruises. Not just because it is hurricane season. Less people go on vacations during Sep, Oct & Nov. 

• Like 2

How about schools not schedule any classes during the winter.  There could be a blizzard after all..

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Carnival Horizon is heading to the port on Sunday to Miami to allow guest to go out and may sail back out empty. They are waiting to see what the port authority says. Carnival has this nice little feature that you can subscribe to a particular sailing to get alerts on changes.  

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Off topic a bit. NCL Breakaway heading to Miami for September 1 cruise. They stated as long as the Coast Guard allows them into the port. I think Royal was Gun-Shy from the way they handled Galveston. 

IMHO, based on new forecast, Wednesday not looking to good for Port Canaveral. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Wow!  I really feel sorry for you.....hope the rest of your life works out just like you plan it.  Good luck....

I feel sorry for the folks that are ok with getting screwed over and find it perfectly acceptable to pay for something and not receive it......do you really think the cruise lines do not buy insurance themselves for situations like this and are not made whole through the policy?

Edited by bclinton
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bclinton said:

I feel sorry for the folks that are ok with getting screwed over and find it perfectly acceptable to pay for something and not receive it......do you really think the cruise lines do not buy insurance themselves for situations like this and are made whole through the policy?

Believe me, you wouldn't be interested in what I really think.............................................................................................

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

That we we always cruise in October and plus it's our anniversary month so it is our treat to ourselves.

My wife's birthday is Sep 16 and our anniversary is Sep 18 Had to wait till she turned 18 to get married. Now after 54 years, it is still going strong. Back then it was till death do you part not till you get upset with one another. Anyhow we did cruise during those dates for a few years. Now she want to be home to celebrate with the family. So we go in September every year, just not during those dates. Happy anniversary to the both of you and many more to come.

• Like 1

as hurricane season is about 6 months long that would be an awful lot of ships either being moved to another part of the world or just floating around the ocean empty( better to have the ships at sea instead of being in port during a storm). I can't see that happening, especially when you might have some years where there could be no major storms.

19 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

The forecast for the Berry Islands says just rain and wind 15-25 mph for Dorian impact.  Not bad, a little clean up and we should be sipping our Mojitos in the Oasis pool by Thursday next.

Weather channel just said that Dorian would be a direct hit on the abaco and grand Bahamas with 150+ winds and would take 24-36 hours to clear that area. Also predicting 15-20 ft storm surge along the Bahamas bank. That would put coco cay under water.

16 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

Believe me, you wouldn't be interested in what I really think.............................................................................................

You're right........................

13 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Weather channel just said that Dorian would be a direct hit on the abaco and grand Bahamas with 150+ winds and would take 24-36 hours to clear that area. Also predicting 15-20 ft storm surge along the Bahamas bank. That would put coco cay under water.

Are you telling me they are not doing the balloon ride in coco cay tomorrow? I want my money back.🤑

Edited by ticketsunlimited
  • Like 1

Some of the unsympathetic posters here are among those who cruise most frequently. They can shrug off a drastically shortened cruise because they have others scheduled. Not that big a deal.

Lets I say there is a bakery that makes good cakes. One customer orders a cake on a regular basis. One day, when he arrives for his cake, he’s told the oven broke...here’s 12 candy bars and a coupon for a discounted cake anther time. Is he disappointed? Not so much, he has these cakes often enough, no big deal.

Another customer has saved up to get his first cake, his wedding cake from this bakery. When he shows up on the wedding day, 12 candy bars and a discount coupon for the future does not compensate for his situation.  It IS a big deal.

Is the bakery at fault...no. But neither is the customer wrong to feel poorly served.

• Like 2

I feel sorry for the folks that are ok with getting screwed over and find it perfectly acceptable to pay for something and not receive it......do you really think the cruise lines do not buy insurance themselves for situations like this and are not made whole through the policy?

You're literally sitting here arguing with everyone. What do you expect us to say? Obviously you should have just gotten your children a resort vacation instead of a cruise in the middle of hurricane season - especially the active part of hurricane season. This is what the cruise lines do; nothing has been different. Relax yourself and go complain to them and not us anymore.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, hazence said:

Some of the unsympathetic posters here are among those who cruise most frequently. They can shrug off a drastically shortened cruise because they have others scheduled. Not that big a deal.

Lets I say there is a bakery that makes good cakes. One customer orders a cake on a regular basis. One day, when he arrives for his cake, he’s told the oven broke...here’s 12 candy bars and a coupon for a discounted cake anther time. Is he disappointed? Not so much, he has these cakes often enough, no big deal.

Another customer has saved up to get his first cake, his wedding cake from this bakery. When he shows up on the wedding day, 12 candy bars and a discount coupon for the future does not compensate for his situation.  It IS a big deal.

Is the bakery at fault...no. But neither is the customer wrong to feel poorly served.

No, some people are just pragmatic and know what to expect and are able to move on!  Our next cruise is April 2021 BTW!

I feel very sorry for those that were affected by the hurricane and I can understand their disappointment and hassle of revising their vacation plans. I actually feel a little guilty because we have three more cruises planned before the end of the year so I will take the four day cruise and just book another one to take it's place and not really be impacted that much. While we would love to be on one of the extended cruises our neighbors are on the Allure and their business and home situation is being impacted by not being there since they only had coverage for one week. Hopefully it will work out for everyone both those impacted by extended and shortened cruises.

12 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

No, some people are just pragmatic and know what to expect and are able to move on!  Our next cruise is April 2021 BTW!

We’re on harmony now, and decided to just stay onboard for next week since we aren’t scheduled to get back until Wednesday anyway. Booked the same cabin we’re in now for the shortened four night harmony cruise that follows this one..

• Like 1