Hurricane Dorian talk

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

We’re on harmony now, and decided to just stay onboard for next week since we aren’t scheduled to get back until Wednesday anyway. Booked the same cabin we’re in now for the shortened four night harmony cruise that follows this one..

Decent pricing?   I called to see if they are selling the HM 4 night and so far they said they are not

Edited by molly361

1 minute ago, orville99 said:

We’re on harmony now, and decided to just stay onboard for next week since we aren’t scheduled to get back until Wednesday anyway. Booked the same cabin we’re in now for the shortened four night harmony cruise that follows this one..

Right there with you. Literally, except for the cabin part. 😂

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Weather channel just said that Dorian would be a direct hit on the abaco and grand Bahamas with 150+ winds and would take 24-36 hours to clear that area. Also predicting 15-20 ft storm surge along the Bahamas bank. That would put coco cay under water.

Sat 31
Aug
10:00

ENE
ENE

11 / 19 mph 89 / 100°F 72% 1015 mb

25%

0.15 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif
  13:00

ENE
ENE

7 / 10 mph 92 / 104°F 66% 1014 mb

29%

0.05 In
IsoRainSwrsDay.gif
  16:00

NNE
NNE

7 / 9 mph 93 / 105°F 65% 1012 mb

20%

0.00 In
Sunny.gif
  19:00

NNE
NNE

11 / 13 mph 90 / 104°F 73% 1012 mb

11%

0.03 In
Sunny.gif
  22:00

NNE
NNE

13 / 22 mph 87 / 98°F 74% 1012 mb

15%

0.13 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif
Sun 01
Sep
01:00

N
N

12 / 17 mph 86 / 96°F 75% 1009 mb

37%

0.07 In
IsoRainSwrsNight.gif
  04:00

NNW
NNW

17 / 29 mph 84 / 93°F 74% 1007 mb

26%

0.13 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif
  07:00

NW
NW

21 / 40 mph 86 / 93°F 75% 1007 mb

42%

0.21 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

WNW
WNW

27 / 49 mph 89 / 102°F 76% 1006 mb

36%

0.18 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

WNW
WNW

31 / 57 mph 92 / 111°F 75% 1005 mb

21%

0.19 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

33 / 57 mph 92 / 112°F 75% 1003 mb

70%

0.16 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

34 / 51 mph 90 / 106°F 75% 1003 mb

65%

0.09 In
IsoRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

33 / 53 mph 87 / 100°F 75% 1003 mb

46%

0.11 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif

This is Accuweather:  Looks like it will get dicey on Sunday, but not 150MPH  I'm sure they will be busy cleaning up Monday/Tues/Weds

Does being pragmatic preclude one from showing compassion? You and I do not  know the full circumstances of anyone else’s situation. Though empathy is rare on the Internet, it certainly is more admirable than hectoring someone whose hurting. 

I just read read an article about a 911 operator who decided to chastise a drowning woman until the poor soul succumbed. Guess it gives a feeling of superiority to some.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Just out of curiosity how much are they charging for the 4 day cruise?

7 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:
Sat 31
Aug

ENE
ENE

11 / 19 mph 89 / 100°F 72% 1015 mb

25%

0.15 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

ENE
ENE

7 / 10 mph 92 / 104°F 66% 1014 mb

29%

0.05 In
IsoRainSwrsDay.gif

NNE
NNE

7 / 9 mph 93 / 105°F 65% 1012 mb

20%

0.00 In
Sunny.gif

NNE
NNE

11 / 13 mph 90 / 104°F 73% 1012 mb

11%

0.03 In
Sunny.gif

NNE
NNE

13 / 22 mph 87 / 98°F 74% 1012 mb

15%

0.13 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif
Sun 01
Sep
01:00

N
N

12 / 17 mph 86 / 96°F 75% 1009 mb

37%

0.07 In
IsoRainSwrsNight.gif
  04:00

NNW
NNW

17 / 29 mph 84 / 93°F 74% 1007 mb

26%

0.13 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif
  07:00

NW
NW

21 / 40 mph 86 / 93°F 75% 1007 mb

42%

0.21 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

WNW
WNW

27 / 49 mph 89 / 102°F 76% 1006 mb

36%

0.18 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

WNW
WNW

31 / 57 mph 92 / 111°F 75% 1005 mb

21%

0.19 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

33 / 57 mph 92 / 112°F 75% 1003 mb

70%

0.16 In
ModRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

34 / 51 mph 90 / 106°F 75% 1003 mb

65%

0.09 In
IsoRainSwrsDay.gif

W
W

33 / 53 mph 87 / 100°F 75% 1003 mb

46%

0.11 In
ModRainSwrsNight.gif

This is Accuweather:  Looks like it will get dicey on Sunday, but not 150MPH  I'm sure they will be busy cleaning up Monday/Tues/Weds

I prefer to believe the national hurricane center over any private weather company. Suggest you tune in to the weather channel instead of relying on accuweather. When the last cat 3 hit the abaco and grand Bahamas on essentially the same track, it took Disney months to rebuild their private island 30 miles away from coco cay. Doubtful it will reopen this year.

Edited by orville99

4 minutes ago, hazence said:

Does being pragmatic preclude one from showing compassion? You and I do not  know the full circumstances of anyone else’s situation. Though empathy is rare on the Internet, it certainly is more admirable than hectoring someone whose hurting. 

I just read read an article about a 911 operator who decided to chastise a drowning woman until the poor soul succumbed. Guess it gives a feeling of superiority to some.

I do not feel superior to anyone....I did not say anything near what that dispatcher said , but you just go ahead and point that finger back at yourself since you just did.  You may police the comments on here all day long, I do not care....

44 minutes ago, hazence said:

Some of the unsympathetic posters here are among those who cruise most frequently. They can shrug off a drastically shortened cruise because they have others scheduled. Not that big a deal.

Lets I say there is a bakery that makes good cakes. One customer orders a cake on a regular basis. One day, when he arrives for his cake, he’s told the oven broke...here’s 12 candy bars and a coupon for a discounted cake anther time. Is he disappointed? Not so much, he has these cakes often enough, no big deal.

Another customer has saved up to get his first cake, his wedding cake from this bakery. When he shows up on the wedding day, 12 candy bars and a discount coupon for the future does not compensate for his situation.  It IS a big deal.

Is the bakery at fault...no. But neither is the customer wrong to feel poorly served.

OH... now I get it... he wants his cake and eat it too! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I prefer to believe the national hurricane center over any private weather company. Suggest you tune in to the weather channel instead of relying on accuweather.

Yeah I don't know how Accuweather is coming up with their forecast (maximum wind 57 MPH???), but several other sites show wind in excess of 100 MPH.

9 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

I do not feel superior to anyone....I did not say anything near what that dispatcher said , but you just go ahead and point that finger back at yourself since you just did.  You may police the comments on here all day long, I do not care....

If lack of empathy on Internet Boards is a primary problem, reading comprehension is a close second.

6 minutes ago, orville99 said:

I prefer to believe the national hurricane center over any private weather company. Suggest you tune in to the weather channel instead of relying on accuweather. When the last cat 3 hit the abaco and grand Bahamas on essentially the same track, it took Disney months to rebuild their private island 30 miles away from coco cay. Doubtful it will reopen this year.

I don't rely on it at all, my hubby just told me what it said....we are also hopeful that our cruise is not impacted and would hate to miss CoCo Cay, but it happens and I will be happy just to be on a ship going somewhere. The weather channel Hurricane Central which I usually haunt during a storm, has projected path to the north of Grand Bahama island which is over 100 miles north of Coco Cay.  Coco Cay is also on the calm side of the storm,  So I am counting on that one.

48 minutes ago, hazence said:

Some of the unsympathetic posters here are among those who cruise most frequently. They can shrug off a drastically shortened cruise because they have others scheduled. Not that big a deal.

Lets I say there is a bakery that makes good cakes. One customer orders a cake on a regular basis. One day, when he arrives for his cake, he’s told the oven broke...here’s 12 candy bars and a coupon for a discounted cake anther time. Is he disappointed? Not so much, he has these cakes often enough, no big deal.

Another customer has saved up to get his first cake, his wedding cake from this bakery. When he shows up on the wedding day, 12 candy bars and a discount coupon for the future does not compensate for his situation.  It IS a big deal.

Is the bakery at fault...no. But neither is the customer wrong to feel poorly served.

It'd be more like if the bakery burned down or was flooded. A broken oven still left the baker with some options as they usually don't bake the cake day of. Whereas a flood or fire is similar to a hurricane where they have no control over what happened and no real alternative. 

It sucks to have your cruise canceled, but it's also a risk of booking during hurricane season. I book during then often and so far have "lucked out" that I've narrowly missed the hurricanes.

Look he's been registered w/ Cruise Critic since 2014. He's 5 years experienced at cruising. He knows what ghe's buying. What he didn't know is that RCL doesn't think he's entitled to be different than anyone else. As far as empathy. I have it. But with the residents of Florida in harm's way, not a cruiser that comes onto this board bitching about his pity party. He rolled the dice and lost out on his cruise. He's not being ripped off either. He's being issued FCC. He wants cash or credit card credit. That aint happening. 

As far as the Galveston Cruise. I'm not sure what cruise a few are speaking to but if it's the RCL cruise on the Navigator back in 2014 that was detained due to the oil spill, everybody on that cruise received 100% cash/credit back plus an additional 25% FCC. Royal has always taken care of their cruisers and always will. 

He may not like how he gets his refund, but he'll get one. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Look he's been registered w/ Cruise Critic since 2014. He's 5 years experienced at cruising. He knows what ghe's buying. What he didn't know is that RCL doesn't think he's entitled to be different than anyone else. As far as empathy. I have it. But with the residents of Florida in harm's way, not a cruiser that comes onto this board bitching about his pity party. He rolled the dice and lost out on his cruise. He's not being ripped off either. He's being issued FCC. He wants cash or credit card credit. That aint happening. 

As far as the Galveston Cruise. I'm not sure what cruise a few are speaking to but if it's the RCL cruise on the Navigator back in 2014 that was detained due to the oil spill, everybody on that cruise received 100% cash/credit back plus an additional 25% FCC. Royal has always taken care of their cruisers and always will. 

He may not like how he gets his refund, but he'll get one. 

They're talking about the one impacted by Harvey. Back in 2017, right before Irma and Maria. 

1 hour ago, hazence said:

What kind of candy bars??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

They're talking about the one impacted by Harvey. Back in 2017, right before Irma and Maria. 

Got it. and Thank you. Even being from Houston, I really wasn't paying attention to the cruises out of Galveston that week as we were enjoying a wonderful Alaskan cruise when Harvey hit.  I had no idea what was happening until we got back home. It was devastating though. Such a contrast from the beauty of Alaska to the flooded city of Houston.  

17 minutes ago, BecciBoo said:

You are blocked,  I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

You obviously REALLY need your cruise.

Entitled to YOUR emotive outburst over a comment, but you were intolerant over another poster expressing indignation over a drastically shortened cruise.

• Like 1

Here is a tip to check virtually any Local Forecast in the US without having to watch it on the Weather Chanel. I have been using this WeatherStar  4000 Emulator and it actually works. Its the same one the Weather Channel used before it switched to their newer system which I don't like. Please share it with your friends and fellow cruisers. It gets the data straight from the National Weather Service Forecast using the closest WeatherID station much better than Accuweather or another similar source!

https://battaglia.ddns.net/twc/twc2.html