Dining Reservations - Table for 2 ?

Hi - we are new to HAL - booked in a Neptune Suite - (Oosterdam) 

We have requested "early dining" - couldn't figure out how to request a table for 2 (HAL web-site is certainly NOT the easiest to navigate !) -

Anyway - I understand that the staff in the Neptune Lounge are most helpful - are they the ones we should ask to help us secure a nicely located, table for 2 each night ?

Or ?? - should we go to someone on the dining staff when we embark

Thank You !

• Like 1

I understand there is an equivalent of "anytime" dining... one doesn't need to pre-select a dining time, nor have the same time every evening?

How well does that work, and is there typically a long wait?

We are in a Neptune suite (Noordam), so - as with the question above - could someone there assist with this?

If there is a long wait on a particular evening (hopefully not, but "things happen"), could we just order the same choices for in suite dining?

Thank you!

GC

1 minute ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

We have requested "early dining" - couldn't figure out how to request a table for 2 (HAL web-site is certainly NOT the easiest to navigate !) -

Anyway - I understand that the staff in the Neptune Lounge are most helpful - are they the ones we should ask to help us secure a nicely located, table for 2 each night ?

Thank You !

Check your confirmation that HAL sent you (near the top, right hand corner).

If there is no specific # of people at the table, call HAL and ask them to change it for a table for two.  They should send you a new confirmation.

Tables are assigned before you board.  Your concierge can certainly give you some assistance if you are not at a table for 2.  Best to get it rectified now though, if you can.

The concierge can also confirm for you your table assignment is for 2.  (Your table # will be on your key card).

And yes, the staff in the Neptune Lounge are helpful.  They can help with just about anything whether it be booking shore excursions, restaurant reservations, front desk type matters, etc.  Don’t be afraid to ask if you have a question.

Neptune Suites are supposed to get preferred dining so you should be fine with your request 🙂 

• Like 1

We have always had success contacting HAL Ship Services (800-541-1576 / hal_ship_services@hollandamerica.com) before we sail when we have a specific table size or location preference onboard a particular ship. If you want, you can review your ship's dining room diagrams for specific table information.

They will be able to connect you with your ship's coordinator, who can assist you with this type of request.

Works for us every time! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

I understand there is an equivalent of "anytime" dining... one doesn't need to pre-select a dining time, nor have the same time every evening?

That is correct.

How well does that work, and is there typically a long wait?

We are in a Neptune suite (Noordam), so - as with the question above - could someone there assist with this?

Table for 2?  If you are going at peak times, there will most likely be a wait.  You can normally reserve a table at non peak times (usually 5:30 - 6:00/6:30 (depends on the ship) and after 8 pm.

Friends had a Neptune and simply spoke to the dining room manager but I don’t see why the concierge couldn’t help you IF you wanted a reservation.  Otherwise, if you are dining at the other times, you need to just go to the dining room & if there is a small wait they will give you a buzzer so you can go to another area in the ship and you will be notified when your table is ready.

If there is a long wait on a particular evening (hopefully not, but "things happen"), could we just order the same choices for in suite dining?

Thank you!

GC

My experience is that you need to order your dinner for in suite dining within a certain time frame of the dining room opening (ie first half hour).  You can also ask your concierge to order it for you.  You don’t have to eat at that time.  You choose the time and it will be anytime the dining room is open.

Yes...as others said, call ahead with your table size request so that a nice table will be prepared for you.

The dining room manager will certainly attempt to accommodate you once onboard, but table choices will much more limited by then.  We always nail this down ahead of time.

Thank You !

Your travel agent or PCC will be able to request your dining preference. Talk to them first. Follow up on the ship the first day if necessary. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 9/2/2019 at 1:29 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Thank You !

It sounds like you are asking for fixed dining, early seating, and a table for 2.   That is not anytime dining.   Your table for 2 will be ready and waiting for you every night of the cruise, and you will have the same wait staff every night.  No lines, no reservations needed.   We always do the same thing, but in late seating (sometimes called Mail Seating).   We get the e-mail address of the Ship's Coordinator for the ship we will be on.  Ship's Services can help you with this.   Go onto HAL Facts dot com, and checkout the PDF of the MDR, upper level for the Oosterdam.   Pick a list of 5 or 10 tables that will work for you.  The PDF has table numbers on it.  Send that list to the Oosterdam's Ship Coordinator about 3 to 5 months out, and you will almost always get one of the tables you select.

Thank You !

I you used a TA or PC have them request it for you in advance of boarding.   My PCC always arranges that for me

image.png.cfc760014157d8f7da5a946997420ea7.png

If you board and your  dining  assignment  was not done   for you in advance,  the concierge certainly will  help you request  your table for two in early  fixed dining.  Speak with the concierge as soon after boarding as you can for the best chance there  will be availability  for what you want.  . 

Edited by sail7seas

21 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

I called HAL

The representative confirmed that there is no way for me to be able to see table size requested.

Interesting..  On my current booking, here is what is noted:

Dining Request: SECOND
Table Size: MEDIUM - 6

Which sort of contradicts what your HAL representative told you, right?

57 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

Interesting..  On my current booking, here is what is noted:

Dining Request: SECOND
Table Size: MEDIUM - 6

Which sort of contradicts what your HAL representative told you, right?

Wow. Can you tell me exactly where you can see that?

I LOOKED and looked!

13 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Wow. Can you tell me exactly where you can see that?

I LOOKED and looked!

We booked through our TA, and it is listed this way on our booking confirmation. Sounds like you booked directly with HAL? If so, I'm not sure where you'd find it.

Sorry..

3 minutes ago, KroozNut said:

We booked through our TA, and it is listed this way on our booking confirmation. Sounds like you booked directly with HAL? If so, I'm not sure where you'd find it.

Sorry..

Hi - we booked through a TA - it shows "1st/Early Requested" on our booking confirmation -

Guess I better give them a call !

Thank you so much for your help 

6 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Hi - we booked through a TA - it shows "1st/Early Requested" on our booking confirmation -

Guess I better give them a call !

Thank you so much for your help 

I would suggest that you or your TA contact Ship Services (details in my post #4 above) and let them know your desires for table size/location (even a few table #'s from the MDR diagrams that would work for you).

Then after it's confirmed with Ship Services, have your TA issue you an updated booking confirmation with this information noted on it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 4:14 PM, TAD2005 said:

We get the e-mail address of the Ship's Coordinator for the ship we will be on.  Ship's Services can help you with this.   Go onto HAL Facts dot com, and checkout the PDF of the MDR, upper level for the Oosterdam.   Pick a list of 5 or 10 tables that will work for you.  The PDF has table numbers on it.  Send that list to the Oosterdam's Ship Coordinator about 3 to 5 months out, and you will almost always get one of the tables you select.

@TAD2005 Could you help me understand how you obtained the email address of the Ship's Coordinator (SC). I've checked the HAL website (ships services) and come up empty.  Looking for the current Oosterdam SC.  Thank you! CB

Thank You !

We always book with a PCC from the line and always request a table for 2 at early sitting, never have been denied. You will be able to make a request on embarkation day usually around 130pm in the MDR.

Edited by MISTER 67