Pirate’s SUNSHINE-y Birthday Cruise! August 24-29, 2019 Review

pirate4me2

8 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

No, I am glad to get the feedback! We chose the Yacht Club experience as my Dad is going with us, and he was overwhelmed on the Dream. I figure this way, he can try another line and have a smaller area with a personal pool, even tho it is a big ship. I hope he likes it.

I believe it was you that I saw post about how much you like the Fantasy class ships on another thread, and I am excited to try one in January. So far I really like the Spirit class ships as they are smaller. We will see how I like the Paradise in a few months!

Ok everyone....I promise I will get back to the review once I am home tonight and can access my pics!

He will like yacht club everyone does.i refuse to pay out that much money .so I sail steerage.i can go on 3 steerage class cruises for one yacht club.

10 hours ago, pirate4me2 said:

I’m so sad we won’t be on that sailing with you! I was looking forward to meeting the legendary review writer. 😜 But, I am looking forward to sailing from my closest homeport again, and sleeping in my own bed the night before the cruise! 

I'm still miffed that you jumped ship on us, but since you did it for all the right reasons you are forgiven. 😁

HMC really is gorgeous, isn't it?  Of course, I preferred it back before they built the pirate bar and the big cabanas.  And when you're there on a smaller ship, it's so nice and uncrowded.  I always head down past the last cabana and find a chair in the partial shade.  Love the jerk chicken for lunch, too.

As for the Fantasy-class ships, there are lots of people who don't want to sail on ships that old and small.  I mean, there's no giant TV or steakhouse!  I like them but I know experienced cruisers sometime don't.  But Spirit-class are my favorites.  I'll be on Legend for the final Med/TA B2B next October.  Can't wait for that!

Your pic of the lion heads on the stairwells made me laugh.  Both on Sunshine and on Victory with the seahorses, I'd bang into them all the time!  I'm tall, so I ended up with all these bruises on my upper thighs.  Looked really interesting when I put on a swimsuit! 😄

14 hours ago, retiring soon said:

HI all!

pirate ~ glad to find your review & hear you had a good time so far.

Looking forward to more. I had booked Sunshine from Charleston for Dec 3 on a Journey cruise for my birthday but changed to another line for a Med. cruise next month instead.

I'm trying MSC next year too on a  Meraviglia TA but just in an inside cabin.

Jamman 54 ~ when is your next cruise please? I want to find the review near the start!

~ Jo ~ 😊

Hey Jo! Thanks for coming along!

11 hours ago, vacationlover16 said:

Awesome review so far! Thanks for taking time to do it.

Thank you for reading!

11 hours ago, scpirate said:

He will like yacht club everyone does.i refuse to pay out that much money .so I sail steerage.i can go on 3 steerage class cruises for one yacht club.

We shall see what he thinks!

2 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

I'm still miffed that you jumped ship on us, but since you did it for all the right reasons you are forgiven. 😁

Hahaha yeah I couldn't turn down the shorter trip, and the savings! I will just have to see what fun I missed out on when I read your review. Hehe.

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

HMC really is gorgeous, isn't it?  Of course, I preferred it back before they built the pirate bar and the big cabanas.  And when you're there on a smaller ship, it's so nice and uncrowded.  I always head down past the last cabana and find a chair in the partial shade.  Love the jerk chicken for lunch, too.

As for the Fantasy-class ships, there are lots of people who don't want to sail on ships that old and small.  I mean, there's no giant TV or steakhouse!  I like them but I know experienced cruisers sometime don't.  But Spirit-class are my favorites.  I'll be on Legend for the final Med/TA B2B next October.  Can't wait for that!

Your pic of the lion heads on the stairwells made me laugh.  Both on Sunshine and on Victory with the seahorses, I'd bang into them all the time!  I'm tall, so I ended up with all these bruises on my upper thighs.  Looked really interesting when I put on a swimsuit! 😄

It was beautiful! The lions on Sunshine have not "bit" me, but those seahorses on Victory really got some good bites in!

I did not wake up in time for a sunrise picture today, I slept until 7:30. We were due to dock in Nassau at 8, and again we did not have any excursion pre-booked so we decided to let the masses exit the ship, then walk off when it was less crowded. Mom, B and I decided on a breakfast from Blue Iguana up on the Lido deck. I LOVE their breakfast burritos! This morning they also had huervos rancheros ready, and Mom and I decided to try those out. They were Ok, but from now on I am sticking with my burrito.

After we finished eating we went to get off the ship, and there was no line, we just walked right off. Sweet! Our plan for the day was to walk the shops, which Mom thought was a bust, but B did get some magnets and souvenirs for her family. I have to agree that most of the stuff there was overpriced junk. We headed to Junkanoo Beach, the free public beach, and spent the rest of our time ashore hanging out there. I know it’s not the nicest beach, but hey…it was free! B adopted a child (no joke, I really thought she was going to be bringing this little boy home!) while Mom and I floated out in the water. We stayed there until about 1, when our bellies began calling to us.

A RCCL ship was already in port

08696A35-B88C-435B-A73C-8A37044E0A9C.jpeg

Huervos Rancheros 

0F7F92C2-A19B-4920-A142-E8C0F25C3F50.jpeg

Around Nassau

2A736192-B11A-477A-87A2-B83913151D0B.jpeg

Junkanoo Beach 

7FFA1470-138B-46E5-AF87-4181AB48ED23.jpeg

C8D887DD-3BF9-429B-90E7-C86E52765238.jpeg

Heading back to port 

2308EB79-EDB3-4C74-8E22-1AC610E86153.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

After some discussion we decided to just go back to the ship and grab a sandwich onboard. We went up to the deli, which wasn’t busy at all, and I opted for the buffalo chicken sandwich today. It was OK, the guy let it get kind of burnt, and he put hardly any buffalo sauce on it. That was all he put on it too….the chicken and the tiny bit of sauce, and he didn’t even offer to put any veggies on it. Overall I wasn’t really impressed with this deli worker, but oh well. It filled my tummy.

There was Happy Hour in the Red Frog Pub at 2, so we all headed down to partake in some day drinking. B ordered a fishbowl of some blue drink, I forget what, Mom got a fishbowl of the cruiser, and I got a fishbowl of the Rum Jumper. Yum!!! That drink is SO GOOD. The fishbowl was only $11.61 during happy hour. However, be aware that if you order a fishbowl they take your sail & sign card and do not give it back until you return the fishbowl. We realized that there was no way we could drink those while just sitting there, so we asked if they could pour the drinks into pitchers that we could take back to the room and enjoy on the balcony. The bartender did just that, and we meandered back to 8328.

Now, here is the awesome part of today….our balcony was in the PERFECT location for watching pier runners! We sat out on the balcony and sipped our drinks, reading and talking, until it was sail away time. Now I should mention…my mom  is a lightweight when it comes to drinks. The pitcher from the RedFrog was probably 3-4 drinks, and she drank the whole thing by the time sailaway came. We were docked next to Disney Dream, and when she saw pier runners, she absolutely started heckling them something terrible, and people on Disney were staring at us. One mother pushing a stroller came strolling down the pier a good 10 minutes after back on board time, and Mom was absolutely awful to her. B and I were embarrassed and kept telling her to shut up and sit down, but Mom was having the time of her life. She did finally pass out in a lounge chair just after we began pulling out of port, and a guy on the guy on the Disney Dream shouted, “She’s out! Finally, peace and quiet!” I absolutely cannot believe we were THOSE people. Thanks Mom.

8E2FCC15-F33B-4AAE-A1CF-9AA1F3BD5201.jpeg

Happy Hour! My drink and Mom’s looked exactly alike, so I’m not sure which is which...

B5C7FD42-6752-4A00-B887-8DBF5387A07A.jpeg

75FF190D-F0C0-416E-869A-792092EA720B.jpeg

AFFDB955-F985-43C3-A916-06BF7C39988F.jpeg

Here are some shots of Disney Dream, Navigator of the Seas, and Majesty of the Seas as we left Nassau.

5143A2B2-41E1-440A-8ED0-28DD5032A17A.jpeg

FDCD148A-6810-4634-A176-2A5E7678E6C3.jpeg

9A58FE08-373C-4023-9995-667E294D5DD1.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

When Sleeping Beauty awoke from her drunken nap, she was hungry so we got cleaned up for dinner and checked in on the Hub app about 7:00. A table was ready for us in less than 5 minutes, and I started off with the usual Caesar salad, which was just OK tonight, and also decided to try the shrimp flatbread. It was pretty good. Mom and I decided to be brave and order the Junkanoo pot to share from the port of call menu. It had shrimp, chicken, scallops, mussels, calamari, and pineapple in it with rice. It was Ok, but not something I would order again. I am glad I had ordered the crisp portobello mushrooms as a backup, they were delicious! I just wish they were not fried. But then again…they wouldn’t be crispy if they were grilled, would they? Haha. To finish it off I got the tres leche cake for dessert, which was Ok but I won’t order it again. I think I have said that before though….

There was not too much going on tonight that I cared about doing, so after walking the shops again we decided to head back to the cabin. I iced my knee and started in on a new book, and about 10:00 I was asleep.

E9A9C34E-B126-4EFF-BCAE-9DCBC43F66B0.png

9DAE3862-624F-48AD-A0D0-FA439DC5CC26.png

5CBA8478-E7BE-44D8-B94D-1606412515C8.png

Yummy app

49272A9E-526B-4E20-964D-8FAA6B4D0F3E.jpeg

Mushroom entree

DFD44BD0-7084-4C14-A731-6FEE48B96917.jpeg

Junkanoo pot

B172DE76-3CB6-4F9D-8D8B-E9D5B47886F1.jpeg

Tres leche cake

39A35353-2468-4ABE-BAF4-376475F1E3D4.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

Is it really our last day onboard already?! Sheesh, these shorter cruises go by way too fast!

I woke up at 8:30, and my cabin mates began stirring about that time as well. We relaxed and took our time getting ready for the day, and finally headed out to do the towel folding in Ocean Plaza at 9:30. I found out very quickly that B has some anger issues that she took out on her poor towel creature….when he wouldn’t cooperate she took her fist and pounded him into submission.

We decided that maybe B’s anger would be taken care of if she had some food in her tummy, so we headed to Sea Day brunch in the MDR. I decided that 10:15 in the morning was a perfectly acceptable time to order a burger, and I was glad I did! The Cantina burger is AWESOME! It  is not pounded out flat like Guy’s burgers on Lido, and it was nice and juicy. I didn’t care for the pickled onions on it, I took those off, but the rest was delish! 

We headed back to the room so the roomies could start packing their bags (I pack throughout the week as I use things and realize I wont need them again) and I spent that time relaxing on the balcony. Gosh I am spoiled now! B wanted to go check out the art auction that was going on in the Sunset MDR at 12:30, and I cannot believe that I wasted 2 hours of my life sitting there for that. We left at 2:30, and it still was not over.

uhhhh, I think my animal didn’t turn out like it’s supposed too...

C3B48414-0719-4523-8A32-06F8A3E8B582.jpeg

B’s animal looks much better than mine!

7CE07A3F-08BC-4801-908D-83B433A0A1F8.jpeg

I like the handles on the MDR doors

788CB888-44E4-4AAF-9D3B-697F20910BA2.jpeg

Cantina burger, delicious!!!!

18878080-08CF-404B-BA02-ED3B3F744D59.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

We decided to check out the pizza for lunch at about 3, and I asked the worker to please make me a Funghi. Yum! Mom and I split it, B opted for pepperoni, and we took them back to the room to enjoy on the balcony. We hung out there until it was time for me to attend the Diamond and Platinum reunion party, which was held in the Limelight lounge. Guess who won the “Name the CD” game, and set a house record for knowing 8 of the 10 CDs? Yahoo! 

We went to attend Epic Rock in the Liquid Lounge, we got there at 7 and managed to snag decent seats. I LOVE THIS SHOW! The performers were pretty decent, and as usual I sang along to most of the show. Sorry people sitting around me for the very off-key concert you attended. Bahahahaha.

I finally called it a day at 8:30 and went back to the room to finish packing last-minute items. I knew tomorrow was an early day (they had sent a letter for Diamond and Platinum self-assist to meet at 6:30 in the Sunset MDR!) and without a good 8 hours of sleep I am not a fun person to be around. We decided at 9:15 to order some sandwiches from room service for dinner. B got a grilled cheese, Mom got a turkey sandwich that was LOADED with meat and a garden salad, and I got the BLT with a Caesar salad. It was all good. Maybe it wasn’t a fancy last meal aboard, but it was good enough for us.

pizza menu

A7CAEA7D-F830-46CE-82FD-CCAE48C2568D.jpeg

Funghi pie!

E47FFD11-48D4-418F-83C4-2C49DEF1BC75.jpeg

Sex on the Beach and those yummy pork sliders at the Diamond & Platinum reunion!

A1EA0682-6CD5-4324-AAFA-2FA0B8AE0D25.jpeg

I won a prize!!!

534FF37B-DCE1-49AC-93B9-5B1B790B87EB.jpeg

Name the CD game. 

83D7FF64-5C97-4624-AA32-9CB934C7FAFF.jpeg

Atrium

809252AE-6C31-4E97-8C01-24476657C6F2.jpeg

4DE78C8E-E689-4084-9DC1-04A2E4142A90.jpeg

I should have came and sat down here more often, I could see flying fish! Deck 3

9464EDBC-5C75-49AB-9499-B25E2F2E94D7.jpeg

We had a nice sea day heading home

198FAB04-6E9B-4FDF-A217-1F56D00262F2.jpeg

I had a decent seat for Epic Rock

D88383B5-47DC-4EC6-AB63-5C19554C7230.jpeg

Edited by pirate4me2

We set B’s phone to wake us up at 6, figuring that 30 minutes was enough time for us to throw on clothes, brush our teeth, and get to the Sunset MDR for the priority debarkation. I am sure we looked like 3 zombies rolling our suitcases down the hallway, eyes barely open, not speaking coherently. We got there at 6:27 and only had to wait a few minutes before they began allowing Diamond members, then Platinum members, to debark. 

Customs was a breeze, the officer asked if I had gotten any souvenirs. “Nope, just some lovely beach time.” “No T-shirts?” He asked. “Nope, I spent all my money drinking on the beach, thank you.” He just shook his head and on I went. They loaded us into a shuttle, drove us to the parking area, and after a short walk to Red (my truck) we were on our way home. I checked the clock, it said we were loaded up and on the road at 7:01. Sweet! The trip home was uneventful, and I pulled into my driveway at 11:16.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! If I know the answer I will be happy to post, and if I don’t…I will be back aboard Sunshine in 17 daysand can find out for you then! 

Until next time….happy cruising everyone!

1659B129-C185-46EE-B5C1-4BE8D28DA50C.jpeg

Wow!  I'm definitely going to have to try some different menu items.  I'm one of those people who finds something she likes and then is afraid to order anything else and be disappointed.  Don't think there were chicken sandwiches at the deli last time I sailed Carnival (Horizon TA May 2018).  But, do I risk getting something not great when I could get my delicious turkey on a roll? 😉

I recognize some of those CDs but I tend to only remember the names of the ones who I really didn't like.  Like Jen Baxter.  Her I recognize.  It will be my first time at the party as a DIAMOND.  Woo!  Free drinks for me! 😄

Looking forward to reading your comments about Bermuda.  I've been twice and have nothing planned.  Wish we weren't going to Princess Cays first.  Would much prefer an extra day in Bermuda.  1-1/2 days is not enough time.  Good thing I did a full-day tour last time so there's nothing I feel I have to see.  I just need to have a few Dark-and-Stormies!

10 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Bravo! Well done! Loved your review! A good read, great pics, highly entertaining. Thanks for doing a bang up job! 

Thanks for reading along! There will be another review when I get back again in a few weeks!

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

Wow!  I'm definitely going to have to try some different menu items.  I'm one of those people who finds something she likes and then is afraid to order anything else and be disappointed.  Don't think there were chicken sandwiches at the deli last time I sailed Carnival (Horizon TA May 2018).  But, do I risk getting something not great when I could get my delicious turkey on a roll? 😉

I recognize some of those CDs but I tend to only remember the names of the ones who I really didn't like.  Like Jen Baxter.  Her I recognize.  It will be my first time at the party as a DIAMOND.  Woo!  Free drinks for me! 😄

Looking forward to reading your comments about Bermuda.  I've been twice and have nothing planned.  Wish we weren't going to Princess Cays first.  Would much prefer an extra day in Bermuda.  1-1/2 days is not enough time.  Good thing I did a full-day tour last time so there's nothing I feel I have to see.  I just need to have a few Dark-and-Stormies!

I'm looking forward to getting back to Bermuda, I really enjoyed it there, but I am worried about what I may be able to do with my knee still not up to par. That may limit what I end up doing somewhat. I am glad I did the Caves last time, as I know I wouldn't be able to do that this go-round!

Thanks for your review I really enjoyed reading it. Your mom sounds like she would be really a lot of fun to travel with. I will be on the Sunshine in December and is excited. So the ship has the new brunch menu? Do you remember how early we can show up at the port? I read 11 but they said you can drop luggage off at 930, so its kinda confusing. I also booked a AFT balcony, do you feel a lot of the ships movements? Do you remember if they have food other then pizza later at night? My mom like to snack after she gambles. And do the Did the boat seem really crowded to you?  I hope you have a wonderful next trip and I’m excited to read your next review.

53 minutes ago, calmKiki said:

Thanks for your review I really enjoyed reading it. Your mom sounds like she would be really a lot of fun to travel with. I will be on the Sunshine in December and is excited. So the ship has the new brunch menu? Do you remember how early we can show up at the port? I read 11 but they said you can drop luggage off at 930, so its kinda confusing. I also booked a AFT balcony, do you feel a lot of the ships movements? Do you remember if they have food other then pizza later at night? My mom like to snack after she gambles. And do the Did the boat seem really crowded to you?  I hope you have a wonderful next trip and I’m excited to read your next review.

Hey hey, thanks for reading! Yes, Sunshine has the new brunch menu, and you MUST try the French toast....delicious!!! I do not know how early you can show up as we didn't leave our house until 9, and got there in the afternoon.

We did feel quite a bit of rocking in our cabin, but I find it soothing so it didn't bother me. Mom always takes ginger pills and doesn't have issues, and B was fine.

As far as late night snacks...I really can't comment, as we were early birds! I don't normally go to bed that early, and I really expected us to be more party-ish than we were, haha.

Yes, Sunshine does feel more crowded than other ships....BUT if you don't mind having a chair in the shade, check out deck 3. It is covered, and they will set loungers out there on sea days. . Or just use your balcony. Also, try and hit the food venues at more off times and it won't be so bad.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Oh! A few funny’s I forgot from the cruise, just found my notes:

*In Nassau Mom got stung by a jellyfish. She was floating in the water and all of a sudden let out a yelp like an injured puppy. It was the only jellyfish we saw, I don’t know how she manages to have the dang luck she does. I told her to let me pee on it, but she wouldn’t let me. B told her to let me pee on it, nope…so I told her to deal with the pain. I don’t know why she was so stubborn, and danggit, that is a life goal of mine: to pee on another person. I had my chance, and she took it away. She CLAIMS that’s why she drank as much as she did at Happy Hour, but let’s face it: she’s a closet alcoholic. Just kidding.

*Mom also scared off my bartender in the atrium one night. After doing some drinking she started asking the lady, “so how late do you work?” and giving her all sorts of compliments. The poor lady serving me my drinks abandoned us and a guy had to take over. Mom was just being nice, but the poor girl didn’t know that, she thought she was being hit on! Good job mom.  

Here is a blackmail pic I got of Mom passed out after happy hour. 😂

C1B10E72-53F9-469A-847F-4D2A5468BBA4.jpeg

• Haha 1

Good Googlie God Pirate.  The things you do to yourself.:classic_biggrin:

Great review.  So glad you were able to hobble on board.  We enjoyed our cruise on the Sunshine in an aft, but not wrap cabin.  

Haven't been to Bermuda is 40 years, but looking forward to what you have to say.

Hoping they left you out of Charleston.

Crew

58 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Good Googlie God Pirate.  The things you do to yourself.:classic_biggrin:

Great review.  So glad you were able to hobble on board.  We enjoyed our cruise on the Sunshine in an aft, but not wrap cabin.  

Haven't been to Bermuda is 40 years, but looking forward to what you have to say.

Hoping they left you out of Charleston.

Crew

I do get into some crazy stuff, huh? 

56 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

LOLROTF! Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha. Soooo funny! 👍👍

It had its moments, that’s for sure!

39 minutes ago, SenatorsFan said:

What an entertaining review! I can't believe the story about your mom heckling the pier runners. 🤣 I hope your knee is better for your next cruise.

Heather

Ugh I cannot believe she was so bad. When she finally passed out I breathed a sigh of relief!

2 hours ago, dcwalker said:

Thank you! I'll be on the Sunshine for the first time in 3 short weeks. Your funny, informative review and good pictures really hit the spot. 

Whose sailing are you on? I’m on the Sept 22 to Bermuda, maybe we are sailing together!

Have read all your reviews and loved them, and when I found this, read it all at one time. What a riot! We cruised on the Sunshine from NY and love the ship.  HMC is gorgeous.  Have been there a bunch of times and there is nothing like it.  Your mom sounds like a firecracker!  Envy you cruising with  her!  Hope your leg is healing and happy cruising to Bermuda. Been there a ton of times, on land and from sea and she's  a little diamond in the ocean.  

44 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Have read all your reviews and loved them, and when I found this, read it all at one time. What a riot! We cruised on the Sunshine from NY and love the ship.  HMC is gorgeous.  Have been there a bunch of times and there is nothing like it.  Your mom sounds like a firecracker!  Envy you cruising with  her!  Hope your leg is healing and happy cruising to Bermuda. Been there a ton of times, on land and from sea and she's  a little diamond in the ocean.  

Thanks for reading yet another of my reviews. 🙂 This one I really didn’t take notes as well as I normally do, and with it being a shorter sailing I’m surprised how quick the review was to write!