Cruise Critic Community
Bimmer09

Celebrity Silhouette, Norwegian Fjords Sept. 1 2019

Where does your sister live in N Ireland? I haven't traveled much in my own birthplace I will admit and know England better.

Carol is gung-ho on TA crossings, me-Mr Port Excursion Man, less so, but I have said that if I do one it will have to be on Queen Mary 2, built for that purpose. Hopefully we will do such a thing when retired.

Norris, My sister is still in Bangor, where I grew up for 18 years, followed by 3 years in Belfast (R.V.H.) where I met John . Rest of my life in England South then North. That's how I recognise any youthful references and pictures of yours .

I too had reservations about 6 days at sea but aim to enjoy everything QM2 can offer. When it works out this time we can try the Eastbound because that jetlag is harder. The downside Eastbound on a ship is only 23 hour days to enjoy it  but I'm sure we could cope!

Our younger son, in Toronto for the last 16 years, recommends your city, Chicago for a few days  on one of our visits to them ; it may happen as we always add something on to our visit. Last year was Alaska cruise which was my best ever for my Big Birthday.

Looking forward to seeing you in January,

Sandra 

On 11/10/2019 at 7:20 PM, Deck Chair Queen said:

I too am sorry to see this review come to an end. It’s my first time seeing Norris’s photos, as he won’t let me look at them until he has worked to perfect them. He catches a lot that I miss so enhances my experience immeasurably. This was one of our most memorable cruises, unequalled in its combination of breathtaking scenery, history, and architecture. Usually you only get one or two of the three in one cruise. In London I got to cross “ high tea in a fancy London hotel” off my bucket list but alas bad timing prevented me from satisfying another, which was attending an opera at Coventr Garden.  Seeing my cousin (more like a sister to me) was an added bonus. For those of you who have said your plans don’t include cruising the Norwegian fjords, you really should reconsider. Along with the glaciers of Alaska these are special places you can truly only experience from a ship. The sailaway from Flam was the most beautiful and varied of any in my cruising experience and that even includes Venice. As a Chicagoan I never let weather ruin any experience. Just dress for it, is our motto. Thank you all for your kind wishes and keen appreciation of good witty writing and excellent photography.

Warmest regards, Carol

Thanks to both of you for a great trip report!  I second the recommendation of Norway, the fjords are amazing.  As were the switchback trips up the mountains!  Beautiful country!

we are attending a destination wedding in Ireland in August and were looking at United's Premium Economy seats (is that what you meant above)?  If so, what did you think of them?  Wish we could swing the Business class there, but will probably just do the Premium Economy both ways.

Hi pd 7277

I can't comment on United but have lots of experience with BA. 

My own thoughts are that business class would  probably be worth  it flying East if I could sleep on a flight. The reality is that I cannot sleep.

Probably not worth a lot for a daylight flight. 

As a frequent transatlantic  traveller my thought is that for me Premium Economy is worth every penny, or in your case every cent. Lots more room, seat inclines more, footrest, small cabin and some other extras.

Does not cost a great amount more than economy but is a lot less than Business class.

Enjoy Ireland.

Sandra.

Many thanks as always for a great review Norris (and Carol's note taking).  I don't comment much, but I read it all and usually get all the musical references.  Looking forward to your Azarama report in January - have a great trip.

P.S. I used to live in Dulwich in an attic flat that kept getting burgled too 🙂

7 hours ago, macsford said:

Hi pd 7277

I can't comment on United but have lots of experience with BA. 

My own thoughts are that business class would  probably be worth  it flying East if I could sleep on a flight. The reality is that I cannot sleep.

Probably not worth a lot for a daylight flight. 

As a frequent transatlantic  traveller my thought is that for me Premium Economy is worth every penny, or in your case every cent. Lots more room, seat inclines more, footrest, small cabin and some other extras.

Does not cost a great amount more than economy but is a lot less than Business class.

Enjoy Ireland.

Sandra.

Sandra - Thanks for your input.  The $2,000 US it would cost is just too steep and will pay for our hotel for multiple nights.  I'm planning on booking the Premium Economy (mostly to get the "2" in the 2-3-2 or 2-4-2 configurations).  The window and not having a stranger to cuddle with will be welcome.  Maybe we can get a mileage upgrade on the way over.

Anyway, thanks,

Peggy

Edited by pd7277

8 hours ago, Onelung said:

Many thanks as always for a great review Norris (and Carol's note taking).  I don't comment much, but I read it all and usually get all the musical references.  Looking forward to your Azarama report in January - have a great trip.

P.S. I used to live in Dulwich in an attic flat that kept getting burgled too 🙂

Thanks for reading it and for the nice compliment!

I won't be on Azamara In January I'll be on Princess. Azamara is October 3 to 10 from Rome to Venice via Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia. Sky Princess January 18 to 25 W.Caribbean.

I lived in quiet Mundania Road in Dulwich. The only thing I had stolen that had real value to me was a group of photos of my mother when she was young (she died when she was 51 but these were when she was half that age). The photos were in a wallet with some cash.

Apart from that it was a nice place to live.

Cheers!

Norris, hoping you'll again say Hi in my reviews.

22 hours ago, macsford said:

Where does your sister live in N Ireland? I haven't traveled much in my own birthplace I will admit and know England better.

Carol is gung-ho on TA crossings, me-Mr Port Excursion Man, less so, but I have said that if I do one it will have to be on Queen Mary 2, built for that purpose. Hopefully we will do such a thing when retired.

Norris, My sister is still in Bangor, where I grew up for 18 years, followed by 3 years in Belfast (R.V.H.) where I met John . Rest of my life in England South then North. That's how I recognise any youthful references and pictures of yours .

I too had reservations about 6 days at sea but aim to enjoy everything QM2 can offer. When it works out this time we can try the Eastbound because that jetlag is harder. The downside Eastbound on a ship is only 23 hour days to enjoy it  but I'm sure we could cope!

Our younger son, in Toronto for the last 16 years, recommends your city, Chicago for a few days  on one of our visits to them ; it may happen as we always add something on to our visit. Last year was Alaska cruise which was my best ever for my Big Birthday.

Looking forward to seeing you in January,

Sandra 

Sandra, I am very familiar with Bangor, a pretty seaside resort town. I spent a lot of time there in my teens and early 20's and last time I was over treated myself and my sister and teenage daughter to a helicopter flight down the Ards peninsula, over to Portavogie and then up to Bangor before returning to Newtownards. That's something I will do again when I return, hopefully in 2021.

Bangor, County Down 

49059659048_eb9930ff2a_b.jpg

(Getty Images)

Chicago, say in May, would be a great tourist destination. In summer it is mobbed with tourists and gets very hot. It's a city of flowers, parks, open air concerts, outdoor dining and sailboats.

"see you" in January.

Norris

Norris, many thanks for that great picture.

I love the whole County, the peninsula is all beautiful and what a great helicopter ride it must have been.

Sandra

12 hours ago, macsford said:

Norris, many thanks for that great picture.

I love the whole County, the peninsula is all beautiful and what a great helicopter ride it must have been.

Sandra

Sandra, the helicopter ride was from Newtownards and when we arrived the pilot asked if we wanted to go (a) to the Mourne Mountains or (b) up to the Giant's Causeway (the usual requests). I told him neither as I wanted to fly down the beautiful Ards Peninsula on the route my high school bus took to get me home (along Strangford Lough) down to Portaferry and then over to Portavogie and up the coast to Bangor. No problem! It was 240 pounds for the 3 of us and we flew at 1,000 feet which was low enough to take photos. I knew every step of the route from ground level but never from the air. The more I write about Northern Ireland the more I want to go! Game of Thrones tour? Sign us up! Consider such a treat while you are there. 

We've taken helicopters wherever they are available and there's something worth seeing-e.g Grouse Mountain over Vancouver and Sedona, Arizona over the Red Rocks. Also landed on Taku Glacier, from Juneau in Alaska. 

Norris

Hi Norris,

I just got back from Christmas week on the Equinox- first time out of 12 Celebrity cruises that we got the drink package.

Thanks for your recommendation of dessert -coffee & Sambuca! I had this several nights with a cheese plate-that's the best dessert! 

I hope you will enjoy again on your upcoming cruise.

Posted (edited)

Yoshi, hope you had a great Christmas cruise!

Glad you enjoyed the coffee (espresso for me, sipped slowly like the Sambuca)

I had one on New Years Day after a  surf n turf at our local Ruth's Chris steakhouse. It hit the spot!

Stay well!

Norris

Edited by Bimmer09
spelling

Happy 2020! Looking for your expert advice. When are the show times on the Silhouette?

When cruising the fjords (Flam)with at 5:30 pm departure time, what do you suggest for dining time?

My husband would like to photograph the sail out weather permitting. We will be there late June to early July so there will be long daylight hours.

Thanks for any input!

6 hours ago, somloi said:

Happy 2020! Looking for your expert advice. When are the show times on the Silhouette?

When cruising the fjords (Flam)with at 5:30 pm departure time, what do you suggest for dining time?

My husband would like to photograph the sail out weather permitting. We will be there late June to early July so there will be long daylight hours.

Thanks for any input!

Hi, somloi! Thanks for reading.

Showtimes were 7 and 9 pm so we would have had dinner between those two times.

The show in Flam becomes the sailaway, especially if you have a camera and particularly if it isn't getting dark soon after 6 as was our case. We were limited in how much Sognefjord we could savor-by the light and the cold. But you have to eat so much may depend on the show that night. We went to fewer shows than ever before in Norway as we were off the ship each day and the scenery called to us as we left each port and so we weren't inclined to rush indoors. I wouldn't want to sail the Fjords so late in the season again. Summer in Norway must be amazing!

Hope this helps.

Norris

Thanks so much Norris!

We are hoping for great weather but we will pack clothing for rain and cold too.

We may even miss dinners in the dining room on this cruise if the weather is nice sailing out of the fjords!

We are visiting London for a few days before the cruise. What theater would you recommend checking out?

31 minutes ago, somloi said:

Thanks so much Norris!

We are hoping for great weather but we will pack clothing for rain and cold too.

We may even miss dinners in the dining room on this cruise if the weather is nice sailing out of the fjords!

We are visiting London for a few days before the cruise. What theater would you recommend checking out?

The buffet is your best friend if you want to linger over the scenery and not wait to be served. Room service too.

I can't recommend any theater in London-I've maybe only been to 4 in my whole life. It all depends on what you want to enjoy inside the theater. Anywhere near Piccadilly Circus is going to give you that "West End" buzz, helped by neon and crowded sidewalks. That can add to the sense of occasion, for sure. We saw a dark comedy written by a favorite author, starring John Malcovich so we were happy and the theater (the Garrick) didn't add anything to the event. 

There is no doubt that whenever you are in London there are too many choices. It's a stunning one of a kind city. Do your research now on line. Plan ahead and enjoy. We had to go see a play in a city that is renowned for theater more than any other on the planet. Happy we did!

Savor London!

Norris

20 hours ago, somloi said:

I agree with Norris about going to the buffet for dinner if you're in an especially scenic area at dinner time. The buffet usually isn't as crowded for dinner and finding a window table is easy.  And it's very convenient to quickly pop out and take a few outdoor pictures when something catches your eye. My wife and I discovered this when we went to Alaska and didn't want to miss out on the scenery. It works well for us.

59 minutes ago, Jasperdo said:

I agree with Norris about going to the buffet for dinner if you're in an especially scenic area at dinner time. The buffet usually isn't as crowded for dinner and finding a window table is easy.  And it's very convenient to quickly pop out and take a few outdoor pictures when something catches your eye. My wife and I discovered this when we went to Alaska and didn't want to miss out on the scenery. It works well for us.

The other thing we discovered about the buffet for dinner is that they sometimes import fresh food from the port--fresh mussels in the French Riveria, for example.  We discovered this by accident one night when we were too tired to sit through a long dinner after a full-day tour.

Thank you for sharing your Norwegian adventure with us, and I liked being able to see your Business Class experience once the photo hosting issue was solved.

Funny thing about you mentioning the pastries being free with a coffee purchase. Though I know they’re free regardless, I was really made to feel like a second class citizen for asking for a cookie without buying coffee. It was so foreign to me after the warm service I always get on Princess at the International Cafe!

Can’t wait for your Sky review! I had friends just come off of her today, and they had a blast!