What is on your last minute list of things to do...

spleenstomper

We each keep packing lists on our computers - different lists for different types of trip,  which we amend as needed. For any cruise, the packing lists are printed and checked off. And then go into the suitcase pocket so that the process is repeated at the end of the trip. No more things forgotten in the cabin.  

We've also got a Things To Do list that is stuck to the front of the fridge a few days before departure. Everything from prepaying any bills that may be due (since we're  frequently away for several weeks) to emptying the trash and giving a set of house keys to the neighbor.  This way things don't get overlooked.

• Like 2

A few things on our list I haven't seen mentioned yet:

If you have a garbage disposal, run it with a little lemon juice after your last cleanup - avoid nasty odors.  

Set heat or air-conditioning for appropriate temp; unless you're in a very mild climate, don't turn off completely - you could come home to frozen pipes or melted candles!

Check outdoor watering systems (timer batteries, no leaks, etc.)

If you're driving, check gas and tire pressure.

Turn off laundry room water - some people turn off all water to the house.

Edited by Kartgv
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Turn off laundry room water

We hadn't ever done that.  Then a few years ago the 'hardware' connecting the water to the machine snapped off.  The water blew a whole in the wall over four feet away.  And the house was beginning to flood.  But we had told friends to come stay at our house (it was at Lake Tahoe) and they arrived two days earlier than planned.  The plumber said the house would have been totaled if they hadn't.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clo said:

Is online banking not a 'thing' in Canada.  It's been so many, many years since we stopped writing checks 🙂

Yes even here in the backwoods of Canada we have online banking. However we, in an abundance of caution, prefer not to access our bank accounts through WiFi with possibly dubious security while travelling. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mom says said:

Yes even here in the backwoods of Canada we have online banking. However we, in an abundance of caution, prefer not to access our bank accounts through WiFi with possibly dubious security while travelling. 

I like to pre-pay bills that come due while I'm away because I don't want to have to think about them on vacation.

P.S. - I use a checklist when packing. Occasionally I need to add to it.

Edited by Cruise4Twos
added information at the end
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Here's a bunch of info/comments:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2264686-internet-security-on-cruise-ship/

And now that I think about it, almost all our bills (can't think offhand of any others) are set up for auto-pay, either on our credit card (for travel points) and from our checking account.  So we just get emails of the bill with a comment that it's on auto-pay for a certain date.

And I'll just tack this on here.  We do our mail holds online and we can change them if we need to

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

I do not do anything ,just get ready to leave my house.

So you don't take any clothes/shoes/etc. other than what you're wearing that day?  Wow.  Gets a little ripe after a few days, doesn't it?  LOL.

9 minutes ago, clo said:

So you don't take any clothes/shoes/etc. other than what you're wearing that day?  Wow.  Gets a little ripe after a few days, doesn't it?  LOL.

I thought the query was what are our last minute preperations. I get up ,shower,have breakfast and get ready to leave for the cruise.Anything else would stress me out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I thought the query was what are our last minute preperations. I get up ,shower,have breakfast and get ready to leave for the cruise.Anything else would stress me out.

Noooo.  But I always have a few things that I have to use that morning.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

I'm with you on that, on the day of departure I want as little as possible to do. The day before however I will download offline maps of the places I'm visiting so I don't have to worry about relying on internet for directions and on Google Translations I will download languages that I need so I don't need internet to translate signs🤗.

• Like 1

Last minute cat-proofing -- there are a lot of kicknacks, etc. that we leave out while we're home, but need to be moved out of harm's way when the cats are home alone with the cat sitter.

Then, half an hour before we're ready to leave we have everything packed in the foyer and sit on the luggage and drink a last cup of coffee. Five minutes later someone in the family shoots up and goes "Oh, I almost forgot [whatever super important thing they forgot]!" We grab that and pack it, finish our coffee and then we can leave. Old family tradition. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Fridge emptied

Water off

Dog to Kennel

Meds in carry-on

Foreign Currency

Passports and Nexus cards

Credit cards

Phones

We don't get too worried about packing clothes and accessories, as we have the credit cards.

We are a little more vigilant about our packing lists for cruises only because Amazon doesn't deliver to cruise ships  -  yet.

• Haha 1

On 9/12/2019 at 4:34 PM, clo said:

Really?  The first things that go in the suitcase are the 'nicer' things.  Lay flat.  The things you mention go in last and pack around the other stuff.

I use Pack-It folders by Eagle Creek.

Keep nice things flat and nicely folded.  And I put them on top.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:36 PM, clo said:

Is online banking not a 'thing' in Canada.  It's been so many, many years since we stopped writing checks 🙂

I do my accounting the last weekend of the month.  I set all payments to be made on the due date.

I do have the advantage of being salary, so I know when and how much I get paid for each check.

But then I am free to go through the month without worrying if a bill will be paid on time or missed.

And yes, I keep the confirmation email for each payment, until the payment posts. 😄

On 9/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, clo said:

My husband is actually worse than I am 🙂  And he used to travel A LOT on business.

I tend to overpack.  But I also travel a lot to places that if you didn't bring it with you, you don't have it and can't get it.  And to many places, I carry some food for evenings, otherwise I would be stuck with hotel dining room prices.

I also tend to leave certain things packed, like a bathing suit.  Even if I am going to a cold place, they may have an indoor pool or hot tub that I will need the suit.  Better to have it, than want it.

For a cruise, I can live with one suitcase.  For work travel, it is two.

On 9/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, mom says said:

In the US, we can set bills to be paid on a specific date.   So I go online before the end of the month, and set up all the bills to be paid on the date they are due.  Simple, no wifi needed while traveling.

Although, if I had to do this online, I use Express VPN and VPN to a US server.  I can do this from my phone, tablet, or my laptop (if I have it).

All those of you mentioning clean out the fridge, what do you have the will not last a week or so?  Now, for a longer trip, maybe.

Even dairy products are good for at least 10 days AFTER the Sell By date.

I do take out the trash.