A long story of HAL, Guest Services, & internet use

Joyce36

We just returned from a lovely week in Alaska on the Volendam, our first time with HAL. It was all great until the last day when it came time to settle the bill. I had purchased premium internet services online, before the cruise. Around day 2 I realized that I couldn't figure out how to actually access the internet through the Navigator app, so I went to Guess Services. I explained that I had already paid and they said click this and that will activate it for you. I did, and it worked. Fast forward to last day of the cruise. I was charged AGAIN for premium internet use. I went to Guess Services and they said it looks like you opened two accounts and used two accounts - one in my name and one in my husband's name. I said well I did not do that intentionally, why would I have two premium accounts? That doesn't make sense. They insisted that because we already used two accounts we had to pay for two accounts. After some haggling, they offered to deduct half the cost of one account ($60.). They would not budge from that. I still maintain that *they* should eat the cost of one account 100%. This was their mistake, not mine. The dollar amount here is not large, it's the principal.  I left feeling I cannot trust them, they don't listen, etc. It's really unnecessary. Not to mention that they need to improve their app user interface. I'm not a novice user, and I couldn't figure it out, and apparently their own GS person did not understand it either. 

Just needed to vent!

What will be key is whether both accounts were using the internet at the same time.  Only 1 device online at a time is one of the restrictions that HAL places on internet use.  (one that can be gotten around with a little tech)

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is something that could have been settled much easier if they had checked their statement on the TV or app earlier in the cruise. The charge would have been there and it could have been settled on board right away.

• Like 2

Yes, it was my mistake not to check the account before the last day of the cruise. We had purchased very little during the cruise so I did not think to check because I might be charged for something totally extra like this. I did not get a copy of the Internet package ahead of time - I'm not even sure what you mean by that. I got nothing in writing. I just purchased it online and that was it. I'll write to HAL one more time and see what happens. 

What I find disturbing is that if HAL had acknowledged their mistake right away, they could have avoided generating bad feelings and this would have all been over in two minutes. I would have come off the ship glowing with delight. But instead they cling to enforcing the letter of the law (because I used the package, without realizing there were two packages).  

18 minutes ago, Joyce36 said:

I'm not even sure what you mean by that. I got nothing in writing. I just purchased it online and that was it. I'll write to HAL one more time and see what happens. 

Whenever I purchase anything on line on the HAL site, I always get a confirming email.  You most likely have one in your spam or junk folder.    

FYI - Any of your purchases also show on “my itinerary” on the HAL site which is available to you when you log in.  For things used all cruise (ie internet) they will show on embarkation day and it does show who the purchased internet is for as does the email.  

• Like 2

Sadly, I think you're the victim of HAL having to deal with lots of other less-than-fully-honest passengers who use things like this to get around the rules.  The story you told, "Oh, sorry, I only meant to have one account even though I signed for (and used, but this part is never said out loud) two," is probably something they hear multiple times every sailing.  They're so used to it being a lie that they don't even really listen or do what seems like simple checking to see whether or not you were telling the truth.

I agree with others who said to contact HAL customer service after the sailing.  It would be a brazen thief indeed who would take that step knowing that they could easily be found out.  I am hopeful you will get the rest of the unused package refunded.

I’m curious. Whenever I’ve bought internet the account was pre-set up based on my name and cabin number: All I had to do was create a password.  On my last cruise, it was the same way, as the booking was under my name. (I had to go to the front desk to clarify what my log in credentials were as with an unusual name HAL, like many others, had been creative.)

Did the front desk create the second account under the name of the spouse who was not primary on the account?

Oh that is too bad you had to end your first cruise with HAL on a sour note.  I would try and contact Customer Services and explain and try and get them to credit you the amount.  We have done 2 cruises on Celebrity and both times had trouble with shore excursions we had booked through them.  When we went to the Shore Excursions desk and explained the problem, both times and on different ships, basically said "too bad so sad" to us.  One guy just about called me a liar until I went back to the cabin and brought the internet write-up that I had run off when I had booked the excursion.  I am a paper freak and keep everything pertaining to the cruise and bring it with me just in case.  We did get a credit for 1/2 the excursion cost.  I would try again.  Good luck and don't give up on Hal....we didn't with Celebrity.

Hope you can get this resolved through customer service.  Make sure you contest the charge with your credit card company, too.  No matter which cruise line we sail, I always take receipts for all purchases just in case I need proof I've paid.  In your case, it may not have helped, but at least, the Front Desk could have seen you'd already bought one internet package, why in the world would you need a second?  Did you ask them to confirm that you had never used one of the accounts?  With internet usage, that should have been easy to check, I think. 

Edited by sevenseasnomad

It seems odd that they wouldn't check if both accounts were used.  The issue may be that they were?  I would still write a letter to HAL or call once you're home and explain the mix-up.  Don't admit or deny usage of two accounts.  Tell them that you followed the directions given by the person at Guest Services to activate the account you bought in advance.  Ask that they refund the extra charges.  End of story.  If you include extra details, that gives them more to think about.

DO NOT also do a credit card chargeback until you give them a chance to deny a refund.  That is a misuse of the chargeback process.  You should never have a chargeback in process at the same time you're working with the company directly on a resolution.