Drink prices

dazlight

City centre pubs and bars in large cities tend to be more expensive than other areas in general. TBH have never paid £5-7 for a pint of bitter anywhere in the UK and was speechless for a while when paying £6 for a pint of Guinness in Dublin recently.

Edited by majortom10

15 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Drinking out is expensive, by comparison with buying in a supermarket, which is why so many pubs have closed.

P&O is reasonable by most cruising standards, but still an invaluable profit centre. Suits me fine - the drinkers are subsidising my cruises.

Thanks guys!  😁

You are welcome Harry. 

I will continue to do my bit to keep your holiday price down😊

Andy

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, dazlight said:

Was out Saturday in Liverpool city centre in a few posh bars and restaurant. Drinks for a pint of beer on Ave £5-7 and cocktails £8-12

was telling friends people say drinks on cruises are expensive well I beg to differ. 

The 'Spoons' crowd will disagree Daz, but you are right. 

I think the prices on ship are starting to creep up a little bit, but not enough to make them expensive. 

Andy

19 hours ago, dazlight said:

Was out Saturday in Liverpool city centre in a few posh bars and restaurant. Drinks for a pint of beer on Ave £5-7 and cocktails £8-12

was telling friends people say drinks on cruises are expensive well I beg to differ. 

Depends very much whereabouts in the country you live, and where you do your drinking.

I normally drink cask beers ("real ale") and the price I pay depends very much on where I drink it. A good quality suburban or town centre pub in my home town of Bolton will usually charge  between £2.80 and £3.20 a pint. Coctail/wine bars may charge 50p per pint or so more, basic pubs and Wetherspoons anything up to £1 less. I am only aware of one bar, an up market craft beer bar, which charges £4 or more. So to someone used to paying these prices, those charged by P&O will appear expensive. Its all a matter of what you are used to paying.

16 minutes ago, Denarius said:

Depends very much whereabouts in the country you live, and where you do your drinking.

I normally drink cask beers ("real ale") and the price I pay depends very much on where I drink it. A good quality suburban or town centre pub in my home town of Bolton will usually charge  between £2.80 and £3.20 a pint. Coctail/wine bars may charge 50p per pint or so more, basic pubs and Wetherspoons anything up to £1 less. I am only aware of one bar, an up market craft beer bar, which charges £4 or more. So to someone used to paying these prices, those charged by P&O will appear expensive. Its all a matter of what you are used to paying.

You are right, it is where you choose to drink wherever you are in the country. 

We have pubs that sell cheap beer, but I choose not to use them. 

I am happy to pay £5.20 a pint for Peroni in my local in comfortable surroundings with nice clientele, so £4.70 on board seems reasonable, especially compared to some other cruise lines. 

Andy

Well, was out in ‘spoons in Newcastle at the weekend and as I was driving I decided not to drink at all. Normally Ruddles is £1.99 per pint  (won’t touch the stronger stuff at lunchtime) but was £1.65 on Sat. Polished my halo and ordered a pint of cola. Got about 200ml of cola and 350ml of ice and was charged £2.02. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, dazlight said:

I’d agree that these are standard prices in fancier cocktail bars, restaurants and hotels.  I can see how anyone who’d normally buy cocktails Etc at places like Wetherspoons would consider it expensive though in comparison.

On 9/24/2019 at 6:59 PM, AndyMichelle said:

I am happy to pay £5.20 a pint for Peroni in my local in comfortable surroundings with nice clientele, so £4.70 on board seems reasonable, especially compared to some other cruise lines. 

Andy

Maybe "happy" is not quite the right word, but I know what you mean 😋

But I thought £4 in our posh local for it was expensive, guess I should think again lol

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Maybe "happy" is not quite the right word, but I know what you mean 😋

But I thought £4 in our posh local for it was expensive, guess I should think again lol

After a few pints I am happy and the price is irrelevant then😊

Andy

On 9/24/2019 at 6:59 PM, AndyMichelle said:

Andy

I’m glad that your local is not my local with these prices and we have minimum alcohol pricing, coming to a place near you soon I believe?

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m glad that your local is not my local with these prices and we have minimum alcohol pricing, coming to a place near you soon I believe?

The pub is always busy, despite having plenty of local competition, so they must be doing something right. 

I am not the biggest drinker so if I walk up and am paying £1 per pint more, my 4 or 5 pound overspend would not get me a taxi to the cheaper ones, so I haven't really lost out. 

Andy