music to listen to in your cabin and balcony?

compozer

I just learned to download music to my iPhone from Apple music. Once you download the songs you can play them without need for Wifi or Data.  Can use the iPhone speaker, ear buds, or bluetooth.  

I like my music to be downloaded because in my experience when travelling internet is not always reliable. I download from a variety of sources. iTunes is a little restrictive because you can only play it on devices that support quicktime so I found for some devices I need to put songs through converter tools that strip the licence so I can play it on any device. If you do the rip CD approach on a Windows computer make sure it is set to MP3 as WMA readers are becoming increasingly rare.

On 10/4/2019 at 7:11 PM, ldubs said:

I just learned to download music to my iPhone from Apple music. Once you download the songs you can play them without need for Wifi or Data.  Can use the iPhone speaker, ear buds, or bluetooth.  

And, Mrs Ldubs says we can also download (for offline use) music from our Amazon Prime membership.  Haven't really looked or tried it yet.  

My new vehicle does not have a CD player.  I've been able to download just about all of my favorite music from Apple Music.  But one of my favorite albums, "the Long Goodbye -- Symphonic Music of Procol Harum" , is not available on Apple Music.  I now need to check Prime Music.  I need to download it to my iPhone so I can play it via bluetooth while I'm driving.  

16 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I like my music to be downloaded because in my experience when travelling internet is not always reliable. I download from a variety of sources. iTunes is a little restrictive because you can only play it on devices that support quicktime so I found for some devices I need to put songs through converter tools that strip the licence so I can play it on any device. If you do the rip CD approach on a Windows computer make sure it is set to MP3 as WMA readers are becoming increasingly rare.

VLC player deals with pretty much all media formats and is free for Android (don't know about VLC for fruit-based tech.)

On 10/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, Bizmark'sMom said:

I use the Amazon ap to download music onto my phone. I have Amazon Prime, so a lot of music is available free. The rest I purchase through my Amazon account. It really is seamless.  I listen to that music through bluetooth headphones when I am traveling.

Mrs. Dawg had a free trial of  Spotify Premium in the summer and downloaded a tonne of music for our trip to Europe. 

We have Amazon Prime. We both forgot all about their music service. I will have to try that.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

And, Mrs Ldubs says we can also download (for offline use) music from our Amazon Prime membership.  Haven't really looked or tried it yet.  

My new vehicle does not have a CD player.  I've been able to download just about all of my favorite music from Apple Music.  But one of my favorite albums, "the Long Goodbye -- Symphonic Music of Procol Harum" , is not available on Apple Music.  I now need to check Prime Music.  I need to download it to my iPhone so I can play it via bluetooth while I'm driving.  

Not saying you or I would do it, but:

Imagine the uproar and consequences of playing "In Held Twas I"  on a balcony in the middle of the night?  YIKES!!!

Or Dark Star into St. Stephen from the Dead.

Probably wouldn't even get halfway through before a phone call or visit from security and/or angry neighbors.

That music shall remain in my memory from the Filmore East.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:57 PM, compozer said:

What do you use to store and listen to music on?   We will be cruising for six weeks and have a corner balcony cabin and would love to have some of our favorite 60;s tunes  to softly play while we are in our cabin and on the balcony.   Wish we could get Sirus radio on the ship. 

As others said bluethooth speaker ( Amazon is a good place to shop ), then download a free trail subscription from spotify and tunes to your hearts content, just remember to cancel the membership, or keep it if you love to stream music w/o the internet.

If you like it lout make sure to get some bluetooth headphones/earbuds too!

Edited by chipmaster

9 hours ago, evandbob said:

Not saying you or I would do it, but:

Imagine the uproar and consequences of playing "In Held Twas I"  on a balcony in the middle of the night?  YIKES!!!

Or Dark Star into St. Stephen from the Dead.

Probably wouldn't even get halfway through before a phone call or visit from security and/or angry neighbors.

That music shall remain in my memory from the Filmore East.

Aw, crazy to think how many years ago that was.  

On 10/3/2019 at 5:03 PM, sloopsailor said:

Here I am packing for our last cruise. I simply slapped a luggage tag on each of these babies and we listened to our favorite hillbilly and gospel music on our balcony for hours on end. I sure like the solitude of being on our private balcony while listening to our favorite music. Happier than a pig in slop!!

Oh, don't worry. We kept the volume low enough so the balconies on the other side of the ship couldn't hear it. We aren't that inconsiderate! 

Image result for sony mhc v90w

Not bad! I travel everywhere with these:

The-1-million-Speakers-2.jpg

On 10/5/2019 at 11:15 AM, ilikeanswers said:

iTunes is a little restrictive because you can only play it on devices that support quicktime

Can't you just download iTunes and use that to play them?  If you have an iPhone, of course 😉   Music and iTunes is one of the reasons I still use iPhones. 

2 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Can't you just download iTunes and use that to play them?  If you have an iPhone, of course 😉   Music and iTunes is one of the reasons I still use iPhones. 

Not every device supports iTunes (or more likely iTunes does not make software compatible to all devices) and iPhones are too expensive for me especially when you consider how restrictive their software is. If I am going to fork out that much money for a phone I want to be able to do whatever I want with that phone😆. There are plenty of other music providers so it is not like you have to be stuck with iTunes. The only reason I have experience using iTunes was because someone gave me a gift card for the service. It certainly convinced me that it is not a music platform that suits my lifestyle.

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

If I am going to fork out that much money for a phone I want to be able to do whatever I want with that phone😆

As you should!  Get what you want, not what others want.  I find the Apple products to be the most intuitive, which works for me, and every time I consider switching (and try friend's phones), I realize how much I like the way theirs works (including iTunes).   That may change in time, and I reevaluate every couple of years to see what suits me best.  I'm currently using a 4 year old model -- I'm not an Apple fanatic who needs the latest and greatest -- but I'll need to upgrade to something in a year or so.