Discovery Princess Itineraries Announced

idahospud

In case you haven’t heard, we have itineraries out for the new Discovery Princess!

Our newest ship – Discovery Princesssm – arrives November 3, 2021, and your clients can be a part of our largest inaugural ship launch ever and among the first to sail on this amazing ship.  Starting on October 7 for Elite Captian's Circle Members, and October 8 for the general public, your clients can book voyages to Europe, the Caribbean, South America, Mexico and the California Coast. For your clients who have sailed with Princess before, they can also receive special Captain’s Circle Launch Savings!*

Discovery Princess features more staterooms and stellar suites than ever before, including the Sky Suite with 270-degree views and the largest balcony at sea. Guests will also delight in an expanded Sanctuary, a new Wake View pool, plus new dining and entertainment options. And with Princess MedallionClass, guests will enjoy a more personalized vacation with faster boarding, on-demand service and a host of enhancements to make vacationing easier than ever.

https://book.princess.com/pdf/onesource/pc/sales_marketing/Destination/2021_2022_program_launch/discovery_princess/PC_DiscoveryPrincess_ReferenceFlyer_09_2019_FINAL-s.pdf

• Like 1

I was hoping for the last Royal class ship to do British Isles itineraries during the summer, but it looks like they're sending her over to the west coast.  Is there really enough demand to have 3 Royal class ships doing Alaska cruises (maybe without any other Princess ships) or will the Discovery be sailing to either Hawaii or Mexico out of California instead after May 2022?  I'll probably have to wait another year to find out seeing as they haven't released the Alaska 2021 yet.  😕

I can still hope a Royal class ship (likely Enchanted) to do British Isles after they launch their first LNG-powered vessel at least.  🙂

8 minutes ago, VersaliusPrimus said:

I was hoping for the last Royal class ship to do British Isles itineraries during the summer, but it looks like they're sending her over to the west coast.  Is there really enough demand to have 3 Royal class ships doing Alaska cruises (maybe without any other Princess ships) or will the Discovery be sailing to either Hawaii or Mexico out of California instead after May 2022?  I'll probably have to wait another year to find out seeing as they haven't released the Alaska 2021 yet.  😕

While the schedule isn’t out yet, Capt Nick Nash told us last month that the Royal and Regal will both be in Alaska for 2021.

• Thanks 2

Checking the Discovery’s webpage the deck plans are not shown & based on this early information there’s no La Mer specialty restaurant nor Vines but it shows a Crooners...maybe it’s returning to the La Mer’s location at the top of the Piazza on the Majestic, Sky & Enchanted.

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ships/xp-discovery-princess/

16 minutes ago, phabric said:

Is the Discovery going to be like the Royal and Regal with no ocean view?

Being Elite, it is nice to book a day early but with no deck plans and prices is hard to plan.

The Sky & Enchanted have a few forward facing Premium Oceanview cabins but were as expensive as a balcony when I checked.

8E9C640A-F3D0-4916-9860-C1077133AAED.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

Based on their cruise summary flyer after the Med cruises the Discovery sails the Caribbean & then South America to begin Mexican Riviera & CA Coastal cruises from LA in Spring 2022.  It took over 5 years for a Royal-class ship to be homeported in LA but will now get the Discovery to experience the new ship smell. ☺️

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on their cruise summary flyer after the Med cruises the Discovery sails the Caribbean & then South America to begin Mexican Riviera & CA Coastal cruises from LA in Spring 2022.  It took over 5 years for a Royal-class ship to be homeported in LA but will now get the Discovery to experience the new ship smell. ☺️

Wonder how they will fill all these cabins. Not to mention the ports in Alaska will be mobbed. 

Just now, Micahs Grandad said:

Will be doing a very interesting SA Cruise on the way to the west coast. Now to talk my favorite wife into booking one heck of a long cruise.

We enjoyed a Buenos Aires to LA cruise which was nice to only have to fly to the ship & to drive home. 🙂

12 minutes ago, Micahs Grandad said:

Will be doing a very interesting SA Cruise on the way to the west coast. Now to talk my favorite wife into booking one heck of a long cruise.

I have my eye on that one, too. Prices aren’t public yet, but I have seen it and all I can say is ouch.

24 minutes ago, idahospud said:

I have my eye on that one, too. Prices aren’t public yet, but I have seen it and all I can say is ouch.

Ah, they come with ouch cruise fares. 🥴  A couple of years ago our SA cruise on the Golden was very reasonably priced.

Higher cruise fares seems to be more routine now when new cruises are released.  That happened on our long Sky cruise which we redid when 3 for Free became available.  We’re considering a Spring 2022 from LA & will decide if booking at the ouch rates are how to book it.

Edited by Astro Flyer

And here's a 11-minute video with Jan Swartz at today's press conference showing off the new ship. Video's good for sitting back and watching the information come to light, but it reveals nothing much more than what's already been released here and on the web. In just a few words to sum up the ship, it seems that it will be very similar to the Enchanted (with Take Five, Crooners, "Premium Oceanview" rooms, etc.) and any new tidbits (such as the likes of new theater productions or escape rooms) will likely trickle out over time.

Guest arowe6

I wonder how much the Discovery Channel paid for those naming rights. 

I saw the Elite email and I was like, “huh?!”

Andrew

Interested to see if the Discovery has a similar deck plan to the current P&O Iona build.

MS Iona has a 'true' promenade on deck eight, in addition to being an alternately (LNG) fueled ship.

I don't see any information shared that Princess Discovery has either of these characteristics.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Ah, they come with ouch cruise fares. 🥴  A couple of years ago our SA cruise on the Golden was very reasonably priced.

Higher cruise fares seems to be more routine now when new cruises are released.  That happened on our long Sky cruise which we redid when 3 for Free became available.  We’re considering a Spring 2022 from LA & will decide if booking at the ouch rates are how to book it.

Just after writing what I did realized it conflicts with youngest grandkids birthday so not going to happen.

Went to Alaska last month on cruise with Royal and ports way to crowded. Only going to get worse and wonder if anyone will be able to fill all these cabins.

3 hours ago, idahospud said:

While the schedule isn’t out yet, Capt Nick Nash told us last month that the Royal and Regal will both be in Alaska for 2021.

Indeed, which is why I'm wondering if the Discovery may be doing Hawaii cruises out of LA instead of a third Royal class ship sailing to Alaska.  I believe you mentioned in a previous thread Captain Nash saying the Royal and Regal would be based out of Vancouver and Seattle (or vice versa).  Of course, any Alaska cruises by the Discovery could be staggered to avoid being in port on the same day as either the Regal or Royal, but it still seems like a rather heavy deployment to a single region when there is a clear alternative "nearby."  

On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the Star Princess is also transferring to P&O in 2021, leaving a potential opening the Discovery could fill.  Looking at the 2020 schedule, the Star Princess will do 10 day Inside Passage cruises round trip from San Francisco.   The Golden Princess is also transferring to P&O in 2020 (again, if memory serves), and it will be doing 14 day Inside Passage cruises round trip from LA.  With the Grand Princess going to Europe for the summer of 2021, it looks like PCL will actually have reduced passenger capacity to Alaska even if the Discovery joins her sister ships (lose the Grand, Golden, and Star, gain the Regal and Discovery), assuming other ship deployments remain constant between 2020 and 2021.

I'm just thinking "out lout" at the moment.  My family would definitely consider another Alaska cruise if we could be on a Royal class ship.  🙂 

Edit:  Breaking up that wall of text a bit...

Edited by VersaliusPrimus

23 minutes ago, VersaliusPrimus said:

Indeed, which is why I'm wondering if the Discovery may be doing Hawaii cruises out of LA instead of a third Royal class ship sailing to Alaska.  I believe you mentioned in a previous thread Captain Nash saying the Royal and Regal would be based out of Vancouver and Seattle (or vice versa).  Of course, any Alaska cruises by the Discovery could be staggered to avoid being in port on the same day as either the Regal or Royal, but it still seems like a rather heavy deployment to a single region when there is a clear alternative "nearby."  

On the other hand, if I recall correctly, the Star Princess is also transferring to P&O in 2021, leaving a potential opening the Discovery could fill.  Looking at the 2020 schedule, the Star Princess will do 10 day Inside Passage cruises round trip from San Francisco.   The Golden Princess is also transferring to P&O in 2020 (again, if memory serves), and it will be doing 14 day Inside Passage cruises round trip from LA.  With the Grand Princess going to Europe for the summer of 2021, it looks like PCL will actually have reduced passenger capacity to Alaska even if the Discovery joins her sister ships (lose the Grand, Golden, and Star, gain the Regal and Discovery), assuming other ship deployments remain constant between 2020 and 2021.

I'm just thinking "out lout" at the moment.  My family would definitely consider another Alaska cruise if we could be on a Royal class ship.  🙂 

Edit:  Breaking up that wall of text a bit...

Here's my Alaska prediction for 2021 for Princess - 8 ship deployment as in 2020:

7nt Voyage of Glaciers Vancouver/Whittier : Royal, Coral, Star, Pacific (with Pacific running a shorter season starting in June rather than May) OR Diamond goes to Vancouver and Pacific stays in Japan for the Summer

7nt r/t Seattle:  Regal, Emerald

10nt r/t San Francisco: Ruby

14nt r/t Los Angeles: Sun

Here's my prediction for 2022:

With Star leaving fleet - Regal moves to Vancouver and Discovery in Seattle.  PRC maintains an 8 ship deployment - 4 ships in Vancouver, 2 in Seattle, 1 in San Francisco and 1 in Los Angeles (to early to predict other ships/classes by port for 2022)

A couple of interesting screenshots from the video. A very nice looking Crooners and Princess Live! which appears to have done away with the theatre style seat layout. Be interesting to see if the latter is the same format on Sky Princess.

5FF9214D-6C60-4CFF-B4E6-7DD38D5D8A33.png

2A2310B9-F67C-4CC9-94CB-A4C26F891346.png

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

A couple of interesting screenshots from the video. A very nice looking Crooners and Princess Live! which appears to have done away with the theatre style seat layout. Be interesting to see if the latter is the same format on Sky Princess.

5FF9214D-6C60-4CFF-B4E6-7DD38D5D8A33.png

2A2310B9-F67C-4CC9-94CB-A4C26F891346.png

Crooners - I hope they do not build it with that step up/down to/from the seating. An accident waiting to happen many times.

Princess Live! - Definitely a different arrangement from the Royal/Regal where there are no windows and the stage is on the aft side of the room. If these windows are on the port side and the venue is in the same location, then the stage is on the forward side of the room. Also, the view does not show what the seating is other than the front section. The rest of the room might still have the theater type seating.

2 minutes ago, caribill said:

Crooners - I hope they do not build it with that step up/down to/from the seating. An accident waiting to happen many times.

Princess Live! - Definitely a different arrangement from the Royal/Regal where there are no windows and the stage is on the aft side of the room. If these windows are on the port side and the venue is in the same location, then the stage is on the forward side of the room. Also, the view does not show what the seating is other than the front section. The rest of the room might still have the theater type seating.

Not sure it’s a step in the Crooners picture but a different floor covering. Had to zoom in to check. Of course both are artistic impressions so might not match reality.

3 minutes ago, Geoffa30 said:

Not sure it’s a step in the Crooners picture but a different floor covering. Had to zoom in to check. Of course both are artistic impressions so might not match reality.

After a closer look, the white part does look like a different floor covering, but I still see a two-inch or so step up to the seating.