The first thing you do after you board?

sealeggs

31 minutes ago, hallux said:

So far every cruise has been on a different ship (easy to say when that count is 3) so it've roamed the ship to find where things are.  Next cruise will be my first repeat ship but I'll be with a couple that hasn't been on that ship yet so it'll be a combo of ship tour and lunch.

I’m at a few more than three but only been on one ship twice, so far.

1 hour ago, Gelynia80 said:

Weve never been on a cruise ship. Knowing my bf, well likely get food first. Then maybe explore or see our room and rest a moment before exploring more. I know since im without my kiddos, im grabbing a drink fairly quick lol

As a first time cruiser, just so you are aware, while it varies by cruise line most staterooms are not available until 1:00 PM or later.  Most of the dining venues that serve lunch on the first day typically open around 11:00 AM.  The bars that are open will also be open around 11:00 AM, which is the typical first boarding time.

You should go to the cruise line boards on CC for more information regarding your cruise line and ship, as well as join the Roll Call thread for your cruise to talk with others who will be on your cruise.  You can also talk with your travel agent (if you used one) and go to the cruise line website to gain more information from those sources as well regarding your cruise.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 2

If it is a ship we have not been on we explore ship, really dislike windjammer so chops or suite restaurant for lunch. If in mdr we check table , also if you have a specialty restaurant package we make reservations for rest of week. 

3 minutes ago, George C said:

.....also if you have a specialty restaurant package we make reservations for rest of week. 

Good general information - we do the same.  But, as you know, if in a suite or through loyalty tier, the associated Concierge can assist with that on your behalf.

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Good general information - we do the same.  But, as you know, if in a suite or through loyalty tier, the associated Concierge can assist with that on your behalf.

So you can't book at least a minimum of specialty restaurants in advance of boarding?  On Oceania each pax gets one res for each and your cabin 'status' determines how far in advance you can book.  We were 60 days out yesterday so I booked last night.

14 minutes ago, clo said:

So you can't book at least a minimum of specialty restaurants in advance of boarding?  On Oceania each pax gets one res for each and your cabin 'status' determines how far in advance you can book.  We were 60 days out yesterday so I booked last night.

Of course you can - Oceania (to which you refer often) is not the only cruise line that allows that!  Most of the cruise lines have on line planners that open well in advance of the sail date for excursions, specialty dining, and other on board booking purposes.  RCI and Celebrity, for example, (which I cite as that is my direct experience) allow you to book as many nights as you want in as many different venues as you want in advance.  The planners typically are also open long before the 60 day period you indicate for all passengers. 

The information in the post you quoted was just an example of what some people may do on their first day on board if, for instance, they have not pre-reserved specialty dining. Certainly not intended to be interpreted as something for comparison as better or worse than Oceania....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The information in the post you quoted

I don't think I quoted anything.  

So are other lines doing no-extra-charge now on the specialty restaurants?  I'd started looking for that and then got distracted 🙂

I mention Oceania because after being totally turned off of cruising 15-20 years ago, we just returned last year and this to Hurtigruten (Antarctica and Norwegian coastal) and are booked on two Oceania's in the next year.

18 minutes ago, clo said:

On rccl we normally get a five night package and with package you can not book in advance, but you can book all 5 nights in any specialty, save a bit of money this way . Rccl now also has unlimited package that’s good for all restaurants including lunch if specialty is open, with that also need to book when you board, and correctly the concierge can help you if you have access to one.

4 minutes ago, clo said:

So are other lines doing no-extra-charge now on the specialty restaurants?  I'd started looking for that and then got distracted 🙂

I mention Oceania because after being totally turned off of cruising 15-20 years ago, we just returned last year and this to Hurtigruten (Antarctica and Norwegian coastal) and are booked on two Oceania's in the next year.

The upper end suites on celebrity and rccl includes all specialty plus on some ships a suite restaurant.

10 minutes ago, George C said:

The upper end suites on celebrity and rccl includes all specialty plus on some ships a suite restaurant.

And they deserve it!  Notice I didn't say "free."  It's, as you say, "included."

31 minutes ago, clo said:

Clo, I suggest you go back a couple of posts and re-read your recent posts - perhaps you are confused but you most certainly quoted me in the one to which I just previously responded!

(To be clear that you understand, when you hit the "quote" tab in responding to a post, it is then captured in the body of your response, to which one generally posts a response - which you did.  That is what is meant when someone says you quoted them).

As to your other question - which is completely off thread topic - here is the thread you started regarding that.  Suggest just re-reading that as well rather than take up time on this thread answering it.

10 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Clo, I suggest you go back a couple of posts and re-read your recent posts - perhaps you are confused but you most certainly quoted me in the one to which I just previously responded!

(To be clear that you understand, when you hit the "quote" tab in responding to a post, it is then captured in the body of your response, to which one generally posts a response - which you did.  That is what is meant when someone says you quoted them).

As to your other question - which is completely off thread topic - here is the thread you started regarding that.  Suggest just re-reading that as well rather than take up time on this thread answering it.

Oops, sorry about that.  Must be those 72 years.  Thanks.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gelynia80 said:

Weve never been on a cruise ship. Knowing my bf, well likely get food first. Then maybe explore or see our room and rest a moment before exploring more. I know since im without my kiddos, im grabbing a drink fairly quick lol

Grab your drink on the way to food. 🙂

Multitask. 🙂

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

As a first time cruiser, just so you are aware, while it varies by cruise line most staterooms are not available until 1:00 PM or later.  Most of the dining venues that serve lunch on the first day typically open around 11:00 AM.  The bars that are open will also be open around 11:00 AM, which is the typical first boarding time.

You should go to the cruise line boards on CC for more information regarding your cruise line and ship, as well as join the Roll Call thread for your cruise to talk with others who will be on your cruise.  You can also talk with your travel agent (if you used one) and go to the cruise line website to gain more information from those sources as well regarding your cruise.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Ive already done that. Getting excited for our meet and mingle. I also joined our roll call on fb and added my bf to that group. 

And thank you! Im ready and excited. Ty for the advice!

You may as well be drunk for the muster drill.

Lets face it, if the ship was way out in the ocean and was starting to sink, I doubt anyone would care about what was said in the muster drill.

Infact you may was well go back to the bar.

13 hours ago, clo said:

Windstar has no extra charge for any restaurant.  All passengers can book one meal at each of the specialty restaurants--it's FCFS on board only.  If you want to eat twice (or more) at one of the specialty restaurants, you can inquire in the afternoon each day for additional availability that evening and often get in.

CC seems to be too focused on drinks LOL.

For wife and I, drop our stuff at cabin, pick up the activities sheet, explore the ship.

If it is near meal time, likely wander to the dining room, avoid the buffet at all cost.   Check out the excursions if we haven't finalized them.   Then return to our tiny inside cabin, herd the cats to the lounge for catch time.