Koningsdam Muster Drill

DoggyDaddy

It would be nearly impossible to have muster stations on the deck.   I really can’t imagine!   You are assigned a muster station and you must go there and remain there until all are checked in.   There is a video that you are suppose to watch in your stateroom.   Our muster station was in a lounge and the ship’s doctor was in charge of our station.  

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Next time I think I will check where the boats are.

Do you mean your specific boat?  I don't think they are assigned in advance like on prior class ships. Our key cards just had the muster station, and I think in the event of a real emergency you would be led to a boat chosen depending on the specific emergency. (I don't remember what they told us!) Some boats may not be accessible or operable at the time. You would board the boat from someplace along the promenade deck.

Edited by catl331

"On the back of your stateroom door you will find safety instructions posted which show your designated lifeboat /muster station number as well as instructions for donning your lifejacket. You can also find your station number on your guest ID card. Odd numbered stations (1, 3, 5...) can be found on the starboard (or right hand) side of the ship and even numbered stations (2, 4, 6...) can be found on the port (or left hand) side of the ship."

https://book.hollandamerica.com/pdfs/pdf_templates/safety_procedures_hal_en.pdf

2 hours ago, The Beaver said:

Odd numbered stations (1, 3, 5...) can be found on the starboard (or right hand) side of the ship and even numbered stations (2, 4, 6...) can be found on the port (or left hand) side of the ship."

This does not apply to the Koningsdam, which is the subject of this thread.

Edited by catl331

16 hours ago, catl331 said:

Do you mean your specific boat?  I don't think they are assigned in advance like on prior class ships. Our key cards just had the muster station, and I think in the event of a real emergency you would be led to a boat chosen depending on the specific emergency. (I don't remember what they told us!) Some boats may not be accessible or operable at the time. You would board the boat from someplace along the promenade deck.

Yes, that's correct. The muster stations have letters, and that's what appears on the card. LIfeboats are numbered as usual. I don't remember how much they explained about letters and numbers.

I stayed on board at St Thomas last winter on the K. There was an extensive crew drill, including launching some of the lifeboats. All kinds of announcements, including the process for abandoning ship, even down to dismissing crew after all passengers were taken to lifeboats. A few at a time, muster stations were instructed to lead passengers to lifeboats. I listened to the announcement so that I could find out which lifeboat would be mine, should it come to that. Of course, it could turn out to be different due to circumstances on the day. But I do like to know which boat is "mine." And hope that knowledge will never be put to use!

I was on the "Koningsdam" twice earlier this year.  The first time we mustered in the main dining room - way in the back away from the entrance.  This worried me, as I felt we would be at a disadvantage if there was a real emergency.  The second time, it was also in the main dining room, but very close to the entrance.  I prefer the other HAL ships where you go straight to the lifeboat area you are assigned for the drill.  

10 minutes ago, MARLEY225 said:

I was on the "Koningsdam" twice earlier this year.  The first time we mustered in the main dining room - way in the back away from the entrance.  This worried me, as I felt we would be at a disadvantage if there was a real emergency.  The second time, it was also in the main dining room, but very close to the entrance.  I prefer the other HAL ships where you go straight to the lifeboat area you are assigned for the drill.  

I think it's safer this way. HAL's system is for you to wait in your cabin until called to your muster station. How many people will really do this in an emergency? Even for drills, people go early to avoid crowding on the stairs, to be able to use elevators, to be able to get a seat if it's indoors. In an emergency, people are unlikely to wait and so they will be in the way on deck as crew prepare to launch lifeboats. Stairwell staff would try to control people, but I doubt people will listen to them.

With an indoor muster, even if people do go to their stations early, they're not going to be underfoot on deck.

54 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I don't remember how much they explained about letters and numbers.

We were E3, and I thought at the time that meant MDR deck 3 (upper), while E2 would be MDR lower. I don't remember if I was told that or merely guessed it.

Edited by catl331

Thanks for all the reply’s. On the Koningsdam, are you “allowed” to go to your muster station early or do you have to wait in your cabin until notified? I have bad knees and it hurts to go down several flights of stairs. 

DD

1 hour ago, DoggyDaddy said:

Thanks for all the reply’s. On the Koningsdam, are you “allowed” to go to your muster station early or do you have to wait in your cabin until notified? I have bad knees and it hurts to go down several flights of stairs. 

DD

Nobody will stop you, but you may not be able to find it in advance. My muster station was in the atrium, and it wasn't signed. They brought out standing signs for the atrium stations when the drill started. All I could think was how quickly that would fall over in rough seas.

IMG_20190123_160225096.jpg

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

They brought out standing signs for the atrium stations when the drill started. All I could think was how quickly that would fall over in rough seas.

That's why it's a 'drill'. so that you know where to go! 🤞

2 hours ago, DoggyDaddy said:

DD

You should remain in your cabin until the end of the announcement that Stage 3 has started. 
In the case of a real emergency, it is imperative that everyone follow instructions, and that is the instruction given. Everyone's life depends on everyone doing as they are told. Staying out of the way of those in charge is part of that. 

You are allowed to use the elevator if walking/climbing stairs is a difficulty. There is one elevator in each elevator bank reserved for emergencies.