How are dock assignments made?

Cruiser933

In a port with multiple docks or a mix of docks and tenders, how are the assignments made? Is it based on who scheduled the stop first? Arrival times? Who is willing to pay more for the better location? We just got off a cruise where we seemed to draw the short straw at every port including having to tender while other ships docked. All ports were in Canada if it matters. Thanks

There can easily be a variety of reasons for a tender assignment as opposed to docking.  Not only arrival time, but departure time, and total time in port. A short day might lead to tendering rather than docking,  or docking further away. 

There is likely a discount for tendering. So cost could figure in. Size of ship...needing a bigger dock, or a smaller ship being assigned to a smaller dock.

Lastly, if a ship is taking on supplies, it most likely will make sure it has a dock. But fuel could be delivered at anchor. 

Many possible reasons.

Cruise Lines book ports may years in advance, so the cruise lines with history in a region will get dock space before the new cruise lines. In addition, multiple other reasons, as mentioned in the previous reply.

Most definitive answer, is the Harbourmaster decides which ship goes where, based on bookings & port policies.

I guess they have priorities based on when they book, capacity may also play into it, ie a pier that can hold 5000 PAX ship a big ship will get priority over a smaller one, less people to tender that way.

but hey I am only guessing

From your posting history I am guessing that you are referring to your NCL cruise on Gem. NCL has a policy of keeping tight reign on expenses and often will opt for the most economical docking arrangements. Nothing wrong with that policy (many of us also economize when we can), but it can lead to not utilizing the more convenient docks in a port to save on port costs. As a competitive company they need to minimize their costs to be able to keep their fares as low as possible to attract budget minded customers. As the saying goes: "You can't have champagne tastes on a beer budget". 😉

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

From your posting history I am guessing that you are referring to your NCL cruise on Gem. NCL has a policy of keeping tight reign on expenses and often will opt for the most economical docking arrangements. Nothing wrong with that policy (many of us also economize when we can), but it can lead to not utilizing the more convenient docks in a port to save on port costs. As a competitive company they need to minimize their costs to be able to keep their fares as low as possible to attract budget minded customers. As the saying goes: "You can't have champagne tastes on a beer budget". 😉

That makes TOO much sense.  Nobody would think of that!

1 hour ago, sloopsailor said:

. As the saying goes: "You can't have champagne tastes on a beer budget". 😉

Excuse me but beer is a choice not a budgetry decision. For one beer is a proper drink. For two its also nicer.

I am offended.😁

1 hour ago, GUT2407 said:

I should add I suspect the parent company may have a say too.

Ie a Cunard ship might take precedence over a Carnival ship. But agin just a guess.

I was aboard a P&O ship berthed at the normal berth at Lanzerotte a few years ago. The Cunard Queen Elizabeth arrived to berth at the inferior commercial berth, unfortunately it was too windy and they had to sail away. Our captain sounded quite amused when he explained the situation. I heard later some aboard the Cunarder wanted to know why the 'inferior' P&O ship was not asked to move.

Thanks to all that posted. Yes it was the recent NCL Gem that missed two ports because we had tender assignments. In both cases we were larger but had shorter port hours. One ship was a HAL, so probably not a more expensive cruise, but the other was Viking. I wouldn’t have minded so much had NCL advertised them as tender ports or at least as possibly needing to tender.  Finding out the night before you arrive in port was not cool.  It looks like NCL may frequently have the crummy dock in Quebec City.

2 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

Thanks to all that posted. Yes it was the recent NCL Gem that missed two ports because we had tender assignments. In both cases we were larger but had shorter port hours. One ship was a HAL, so probably not a more expensive cruise, but the other was Viking. I wouldn’t have minded so much had NCL advertised them as tender ports or at least as possibly needing to tender.  Finding out the night before you arrive in port was not cool.  It looks like NCL may frequently have the crummy dock in Quebec City.

According to smartertravel.com, NCL is considered an economy cruise line and HAL is a considered a premium cruise line, so HAL would typically be more expensive and offer a more upscale experience.

4 hours ago, Cruiser933 said:

I wouldn’t have minded so much had NCL advertised them as tender ports or at least as possibly needing to tender.  Finding out the night before you arrive in port was not cool.

It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to find this information out before sailing.  If you go into things prepared, you have less opportunity for disappointment.

54 minutes ago, hallux said:

It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to find this information out before sailing.  If you go into things prepared, you have less opportunity for disappointment.

Yes, my lesson learned from this which I admitted in my trip report was that I need to do further research on dock assignments before sailing.  I have always looked to see how many ships are in port with us, but generally don't do much research on actual docking assignments.  I was aware that we would be on the industrial side of the Quebec City port and I knew that we would be tendering in Bar Harbor.  After the fact I did see where Charlottetown posts assignments but I have yet to find where Saguenay posts this information.

This August at Ketchikan, Royal Princess and my Coral Princess were visiting this port at the same time.  Royal was docked; Coral was anchored with tender service.  Size and the number of guests aboard matters, I guess.

I agree that it is the Harbormaster who has the final say as to which ship docks where.  I wonder in this situation, if Princess did not have some input as well.

32 minutes ago, LakeSideKen said:

HAL is a premium line..... that's funny.

According to many travel and cruise web sites they are. So are Celebrity and Princess. And also Azamara, your favorite cruise line based on your short posting history. If you disagree, then take it up with the travel experts on those sites. You might consider writing to them to voice your disapproval.  🙂

BTW: I have never been on HAL, so can't pass judgement either way like you are doing. I will leave it to the travel experts to make that call. 😉

I was on a Celebrity cruise in Alaska, once, that unexpectedly had to tender in Juneau.

Let me tell you, I know for a fact that the staff had NO IDEA what to do.  That was a complete joke!  

I guess trying to get your "staff" on the same page when something unexpected occurs for a vessel that size would be difficult, but geez.... your passengers are NOT stupid.  LOL

It is what it is...

On 10/11/2019 at 2:11 PM, rkacruiser said:

This August at Ketchikan, Royal Princess and my Coral Princess were visiting this port at the same time.  Royal was docked; Coral was anchored with tender service.  Size and the number of guests aboard matters, I guess.

I agree that it is the Harbormaster who has the final say as to which ship docks where.  I wonder in this situation, if Princess did not have some input as well.

Best guess is that Princess had only a single berth allocated, so the Company would then decide which ship docks & which anchors.

All providing that both ships would fit the allocated berth.