Time to sell NCL?

KatieBelle

Canceling stops due to weather is understandable. But you can't blame customers who book a cruise during a time period that may have bad weather when the cruise line offered the cruise during that period! If it is an Iceland cruise, then perhaps the cruise line shouldn't offer it during that time period. Stopping at ports where there is absolutely nothing to see or do is not an adequate substitute. And offering a discount on a future cruise is almost insulting. Why would the customer try again when the original cruise was so poor? A better solution would be a credit of a decent amount for the original cruise. 

Maybe Regent and Oceania were better run under Apollo or whatever venture capitalist group owned them before Norwegian took over. We are scheduled for only our second Oceania cruise in a couple of weeks, and after reading a lot of chit chat on these boards, I am a little worried it won't be as nice as our first from before the takeover. We were on a Regent cruise last year, and saw little difference from our last Regent cruise except in the bars. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

We have sailed 6 times with Oceania and the itinerary was changed 2 times due to weather.

#1  Did not dock in Santa Marta, Columbia because 60 to 70 mph winds made navigating the narrow channel to dangerous. Had an extra sea day in route to Aruba.

#2  Did not round Cape Horn in route from Punta Arenas to Ushuaia because of very stormy weather and rough seas. This transit is problematic any time of year so stayed overnight in Punta Arenas and sailed the Strait of Magellan and Beagle Channel instead.

Missing Ports of Call is better than being stranded ashore overnight, even is it was in Monte Carlo.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/1184340/cruise-ship-holiday-p-o-cruises-azura-monte-carlo-passengers-sleep

Edited by ICT lineman

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

Things  have changed in the past 5 yrs  on Oceania   but I think all cruise lines have changed   no matter who owns them

I believe that the World has changed, and the Cruise Lines are reacting to seismic shifts in clientele, weather, etc.

Our opinions are also framed by our ages, my Grandparents swore that service was never the same after the second World War, when people stopped knowing their place.

We cringe now.🥴

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cotto22 said:

Canceling stops due to weather is understandable. But you can't blame customers who book a cruise during a time period that may have bad weather when the cruise line offered the cruise during that period! If it is an Iceland cruise, then perhaps the cruise line shouldn't offer it during that time period. Stopping at ports where there is absolutely nothing to see or do is not an adequate substitute. And offering a discount on a future cruise is almost insulting. Why would the customer try again when the original cruise was so poor? A better solution would be a credit of a decent amount for the original cruise. 

Maybe Regent and Oceania were better run under Apollo or whatever venture capitalist group owned them before Norwegian took over. We are scheduled for only our second Oceania cruise in a couple of weeks, and after reading a lot of chit chat on these boards, I am a little worried it won't be as nice as our first from before the takeover. We were on a Regent cruise last year, and saw little difference from our last Regent cruise except in the bars. Keeping my fingers crossed!

I dont agree  with you at all..the weather is not NCL's fault..they will not put the crew, passengers and ships in danger in bad weather and the passengers should be happy about this..anyone that takes a cruise should be ready for this to happen..we plan and God laughs!!!

Jancruz1

20 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I dont agree  with you at all..the weather is not NCL's fault..they will not put the crew, passengers and ships in danger in bad weather and the passengers should be happy about this..anyone that takes a cruise should be ready for this to happen..we plan and God laughs!!!

Jancruz1

If you would re-read my post, I never stated that the weather was Norwegian's fault! But there are way's to placate very unhappy customers, and the way this was handled did not work!

12 minutes ago, cotto22 said:

If you would re-read my post, I never stated that the weather was Norwegian's fault! But there are way's to placate very unhappy customers, and the way this was handled did not work!

As my dear old friend Don Horner used to say in cases such as this:

"There are some people who would remain unhappy, even if they got hung with brand new rope"

I miss him

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, ChappChapp said:

I don't know if I would sell  NCL based on this incident however the stocks poor performance for some time now might prompt me to sell.

NCLH (the holding company for Oceania) is the way to go.  😉

8 hours ago, cotto22 said:

If it is an Iceland cruise, then perhaps the cruise line shouldn't offer it during that time period.

We were in Iceland a couple of years ago in December and it was warmer there than Seattle where we flew from.  You know, the Gulf Stream.

I had something similar happen a few years ago. We were on a cruise that was going from Copenhagen, two stops in Norway,  Bergen  and Flam, then off to Shetland island, invergordn,Dublin, Belfast,  Cornwall and Denver. Due to a storm in the north sea we went from Bergen to Deblen via english channel. This was done with no written or verbal announcement I was heartbroken because my heritage is Scottish and was unable to set foot on home soil. We were giving a refund for our tours, THAT WAS ALL no credit for next cruise or anything else. When I wrote to the company after we got home, the reply is that reimbursement are not and will not be offered. Oh by the way I was on Marina. That was before Norwegan bought Oceania.this was in Sept.2012. 

Edited by geomac53

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

Can't comment on the stock  ..... but safety on the seas is of prime importance. 

Yep.  We were north of but still in the general area when that Viking ship lost power in a storm.  We were on 100 pax ship with no stabilizers (oldest one in their fleet).  We stayed in a port missing two that night and they bused people who needed to get to one of those ports for continue their trip.  Didn't hear any complaining.

1 minute ago, geomac53 said:

I had something similar happen a few years ago. We were on a cruise that was going from Copenhagen, two stops in Norway,  Bergen  and Flam, then off to Shetland island, invergordn,Dublin, Belfast,  Cornwall and Denver. Due to a storm in the north sea we went from Bergen to Deblen via english channel. This was done with no written or verbal announcement I was heartbroken because my heritage is Scottish and was unable to set foot on home soil. We were giving a refund for our tours, THAT WAS ALL no credit for next cruise or anything else. When I wrote to the company after we got home, the reply is that reimbursement are not and will not be offered. Oh by the way I was on Marina. That was before Norwegan bought Oceania.

Are people aware that if airline flights are delayed or canceled due to weather that the airline has no responsibility to put you up in a hotel or vouchers for meals?  While it's annoying I understand.

57 minutes ago, clo said:

Are people aware that if airline flights are delayed or canceled due to weather that the airline has no responsibility to put you up in a hotel or vouchers for meals?  While it's annoying I understand.

Your right but waking and looking out your window and seeing the white cliffs of Dover when your expecting to see the Shetland island is anoying but your right you can not hold your safety to blame, it would have been nice to have been told.

7 hours ago, cotto22 said:

Beside sending them home and giving them a free trip..nothing would have worked..

and do you think thats fair to the cruise line..I dont..they had salaries to pay food costs fuel costs etc

I have been on many trips where ports are missed due to weather thats part of cruising you have to understand!!

Jancruz1..

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Beside sending them home and giving them a free trip..nothing would have worked..

and do you think thats fair to the cruise line..I dont..they had salaries to pay food costs fuel costs etc

I have been on many trips where ports are missed due to weather thats part of cruising you have to understand!!

Jancruz1..

Must have to think of safety first.  For the passengers, the crew and the ship.  Thousands of people to protect.  NCL did the right thing. 

10 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1..

I am concerned about what is fair to me.  Not concerned what's fair to a business.  I do understand that you can't control the weather and the cruiselines need to keep everyone safe.  

I understand how disappointed people on this cruise were.  From what I've seen on the news, passengers were also complaining about the toilets not working and sewage smell in the hallways.  That to me is unacceptable.  It "smells" of deferred maintenance by the cruiseline.

Last November we went on the Marina from Rome to Monte Carlo. Before the day of our cruise our first port of Portofino was changed due to horrible weather with mudslides. Our travel agent got the news and messaged me since we were already in a Rome. They took us to Livorno instead which ended being a lovely day for us. We also had Bandol changed to Ajaccio, Corsica which we loved and had the best day. One of our stops was San Tropez and quite honestly, it was pretty much a waste of a day because it was November and absolutely NOTHING was open! All the stores and restaurants were closed up for the winter. We ended up going back to the ship for lunch because honestly we could not find a place. That was so disappointing, because we look so forward to going to the place that we always heard about. Anyway, the point I’m trying to make is, even with empty ports and changed itineraries, we still had a lovely trip! It’s what you make of it I guess. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

I understand how disappointed people on this cruise were.  From what I've seen on the news, passengers were also complaining about the toilets not working and sewage smell in the hallways.  That to me is unacceptable.  It "smells" of deferred maintenance by the cruiseline.

For good or bad, in 2019 disappointment does not a business obligation make.

We are speaking about people who booked the Motel 6 of the seas,  methinks a little sewage smell was not unexpected.

FWIW when you pack 5000 random people onto these megaships, there are sometimes vagaries of personal hygiene at play-

I pity the plumbers.  :classic_blink:

• Like 1