THE SECRETS OF THE NCL HAVEN LUXURY EXPERIENCE

Sthrngary

On 1/20/2022 at 2:05 PM, Calvin said:

You brought up an interesting point, and that is the main reason why, despite having the best cruise/time of my life, I was frought with worry. 

My wife had a heart transplant about 1 1/2 years ago.  At that same time, I made arrangements with a group of her friends to go on a "Celebration of Life" cruise.  Somehow, my idiotic reasoning told me that if I made plans far in advance, that she would make it out of this just fine, and I wouldn't lose the woman I've loved for 30 years.  I planned it so far in advance because I assumed that the virus would no longer be a concern by then. WRONG! 

Aside from all the general covid worries, I was EXTREMELY concerned about my wife's immune system.  Literally, about 3 days before we were to sail, we checked in with her cardiologist, who gave us his blessing.  In fact, he said something similar to what you just said ~ This might be the safest place for her to be, given that everyone is tested, vaccinated, and masked.  Given that this would be our first time in the "full-fledged" Haven, I thought she was in a great position.

We got back from our wonderful cruising experience (again, shout out to Sthrngary, who answered so many questions in this post), to a voicemail left by her doctor after we had already sailed and returned.  He said ~ The CDC just recommended that even those who are vaccinated should NOT be sailing on a cruise, so he withdrew his approval. Wow!  

I get that completely. We were terribly worried about our 5 year old getting Covid, especially after my sister died from it. Our 5 year old has heart disease and all kinds of minor issues. She did make it through Covid with around 4 or 5 difficult days but not terrible. Another daughter and I took the antibody shots and my husband and I were very sick. We are convinced I would have been hospitalized without the shots (and turns out I had RA so was even more high risk than we already knew). We are still afraid but not terrified. I'm so glad you all were ok and had a good time!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Again, I am the author of this thread.  My original document which was hugely long had maybe 25 words on children in the Haven Courtyard.  Whenever the issue of children in the Haven comes up, I usually remind everyone that it is not the kids that are the issue.  I love kids on cruises, they make us all feel young.  This issue is any cruise guest that is rude to another guest.  

A guest that hogs chairs at the pool is rude.

A guest that touch foods at the buffet is rude.

A guest that saves an entire row at the show is rude.

A guest that cuts in a busy line at the bar is rude.

A guest that is intoxicated yelling in the hallway is rude.

A child that jumps in the Haven Pool right in front of your lounge chair while screaming at the top of their lungs is rude.

No difference.  "Momma used to say, rude is as rude does!"  

We are focusing on kids in the Haven Courtyard making it a wave pool or taking over the hot tub all day long.  That happens, however usually due to two situations. 

1. Your are on a cruise that is in conjunctions with school vacations.  A better option is a few weeks after and the prices are much better also. 
  2. The second issue is not the children at all.  It is their parents that think the Haven Courtyard is the babysitter for their kids.  

Should children go in the Haven on an NCL ship. Absolutely they should.  Can all families afford the premium of the Haven, NO they can't, however one day they may.  I have recently gone on a Luxury Cruise.  It has no children.  It was designed to have no children.  Everything about the cruise was pure luxury.  From the Service to the food to the amenities.  Great experience.  One thing though, I would never do that again unless it was a port intensive cruise to exotic places.  My wife and I were bored out of our minds.  We then went on the NCL Joy in the Haven with our adult children and had the time of our lives.  Luxury cruising is not always the answer.

All me to reframe this subject of cruising with children.  Great idea, NCL is a great ship to do it on, if you don't want lots of kids; the Haven is the place to be and cruise after normal vacations dates.  

Cruise well everyone. 

Regarding #4, I have already apologized to you for that, and I think you should let it go.  It's not easy learning to be an alcoholic in only 1 week...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank you to the OP and ALL who have posted.  We are seasoned travelers - both on our own and cruising, but we had never considered the Haven before.  

We spent 2+ weeks in the Caribbean in December on the Wind Surf - loved it
We have (April 25-June 2) trips with NCL (booked after 2 cancelled cruises in the Pacific 2020 & 2021)
The Escape - transatlantic (2 days on our own in Barcelona) then
The Star B2B  (Barcelona-Reykavik)

A balcony cabin has always been fine for us.  We must be very simple people but the regular restaurants are also just fine for us. (perhaps that says something about our home cooking and restaurants).   Wine with dinner & an occasional beer is the extent of our alcohol intake.

That said:  Safety is our main concern. We understand nowhere is 100% safe, but at 75 & 77 statistically we feel better about being on a ship where 100% are vaccinated and agree to mask up vs living as hermits in our area where the majority refuse to do either.  (no politics intended, just the fact).  Ater 55 years of marriage we are just fine by ourselves although pre Covid we travelled a lot with children & grandkids. Patience & flexibility are our strong points.  It takes a LOT to ruin a cruise for us.  (Covid quarantine for example).  

So after reading most of the posts since Covid messed up the world, I have 2 questions

1) With the Escape sailing at reduced capacity, do you feel the Haven is still a safer place to be?

2) How much is a reasonable bid for a Haven upgrade if we decide to go for it?

All the amenities described sound nice, but do we NEED them?  No, not really.
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, BklynBorn47 said:

1) With the Escape sailing at reduced capacity, do you feel the Haven is still a safer place to be?

we're booked 04/17/2022 , we went straight for the haven, a ship sailing today my be at 45 % , with my luck the Breakaway sailing 04/17/2022 will be the first NCL to leave port at 100% , with health and mobility issues this way I KNOW i'm all set 😄 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

@BklynBorn47I will do my best to assist you.  Both of your questions are somewhat subjective.  Please take my recommendation as simply advice, not expertise.  

Question #1: The entire ship is a safe place to be at reduced capacity.  What happens with reduced capacity is the Haven gets filled with upgrades.  Since most Haven's are 200 or less, even filled it provides as much or as little social distancing as you would like to have.  In a completely filled Haven on the NCL Joy, my family and I were never close to anyone in the Haven Restaurant.  When we left the Haven, with the exception of the Comedy Club, we never were close to anyone unless we wanted to be.  On Cruise ships like in planes, we are always in a place where the risk is higher then when we are home isolating.  With risk comes consequences.  Would I do it again, you BET I would.  Especially at a reduced capacity.

Question #2: A few weeks prior to the cruise, check to see how much the different Haven Suites are selling for.  Make a not of that on a piece of paper.  Under it, put your current fare and subtract.  Circle the difference.  When the UpGrade bid opportunity comes to you, use the circled amount to judge what you would have paid.  I would go a little less then half the difference.  Please know, if the Haven is not heavily booked, Min Bids have got the job done.  Not often but possible.  

Advice: The Aft Haven Penthouse with Large Balcony is lovely however if you don't like vibrations from the ship, skip it.  It is also the other side of the ship from the Haven Courtyard.  The Haven Spa Suites are just under the Haven by the Spa so also not in the Haven Courtyard.  I like these because they are usually some the least expensive.  They also give you the Thermal Spa which is very nice. My favorite is the Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with the larger balcony.  Sometimes they have these are a reasonable upgrade bid.  In the Haven Courtyard and provides an extra TV room, Bathroom and great room.  Small balcony though.  

Hope I helped.

Cruise well. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, momofjohnjr said:

My cruise just went down $366 and we sail in 12 days. Do they still price match this late? 🤔 

I was not able to but you can try. They gave a formula for OBC that did not seem worth it. We ended on using the difference to upgrade to a 2 BR villa with large balcony. It was awesome. 

4 hours ago, momofjohnjr said:

My cruise just went down $366 and we sail in 12 days. Do they still price match this late? 🤔 

Our cruise (now cancelled Escape 1/22) went down about $800 after final payment.  We requested OBC but they gave us FCC for 50% of the difference.  New policy they said.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Advice: The Aft Haven Penthouse with Large Balcony is lovely however if you don't like vibrations from the ship, skip it.  It is also the other side of the ship from the Haven Courtyard.  The Haven Spa Suites are just under the Haven by the Spa so also not in the Haven Courtyard.  I like these because they are usually some the least expensive.  They also give you the Thermal Spa which is very nice. My favorite is the Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with the larger balcony.  Sometimes they have these are a reasonable upgrade bid.  In the Haven Courtyard and provides an extra TV room, Bathroom and great room.  Small balcony though.  

Hope I helped.

Cruise well. 

We loved the 2 Br. with Large Balcony (just did the Encore on 1/2/22) so much that we are hoping for an upgrade on our Panama Canal sailing on the Bliss next week.  Currently we are booked in the Aft Haven Penthouse with Large Balcony, so either way we are still sailing in the Haven.    

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

My favorite is the Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with the larger balcony. 

I upgraded us to this on the Joy next week. So excited!  We normally do a "regular" Haven room.  Do you book this when it's just you and your wife?  

15 minutes ago, Niffernay said:

I upgraded us to this on the Joy next week. So excited!  We normally do a "regular" Haven room.  Do you book this when it's just you and your wife?  

Sure, if the upgrade was fair.  If it is really high, you pass.  Just my two cents.

Cruise well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Is the larger balcony wider and longer or just longer? From videos I see it goes past the bathroom, but can’t tell if it is also wider.

Not wider, just longer outside the shower window.  The video's are accurate. 

Cruise well.

Just read another thread that on Bliss the Haven concierge would not take them to smaller venues before opening hence skipping queues for entertainment, we enjoyed this privilege on the Getaway just October gone, we tipped the concierge well at the end of the cruise as it was by far the best part of the Haven experience for us anyway,  has anyone who has been in Haven on Bliss recently able to give an insight? 

1 minute ago, kenzie said:

Just read another thread that on Bliss the Haven concierge would not take them to smaller venues before opening hence skipping queues for entertainment, we enjoyed this privilege on the Getaway just October gone, we tipped the concierge well at the end of the cruise as it was by far the best part of the Haven experience for us anyway,  has anyone who has been in Haven on Bliss recently able to give an insight? 

@kenzieMy recent experience was on the Joy.  The key to your post was the words, "Smaller Venues".  I am assuming you mean things like the Comedy Club vs. the main shows.  This was not offered on the Joy either.  It was a non-issue due to the 40% guest capacity at the time.  

You can be sure, when I travel next, in a larger ship, I will ask for this amenity.  Even on a low capacity ship, the club was completely filled. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply, yes the smaller venues such as The Cavern and comedy club, early entry to those venues and not having to queue for an hour or so, even with low capacity was priceless on our last Getaway cruise, this is the very reason, obviously the lovely service, food and facilities were great too however that perk is why we have paid to go into the Haven on our Bliss cruise next month. We thought the concierge made our cruise more than the butler and as a consequence we tipped them more so appropriately. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 10:17 PM, Calvin said:

Regarding #4, I have already apologized to you for that, and I think you should let it go.  It's not easy learning to be an alcoholic in only 1 week...

Alcoholics go to meetings... the rest of us just know how to exercise our livers appropriately.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, BklynBorn47 said:

All the amenities described sound nice, but do we NEED them?  No, not really.
Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated.  

Our ballpark for Haven pricing is $500/person/day. Anything less than that and it's a bargain, anything more than that should be either an amazing itinerary or one of the upper tier Haven rooms to justify the cost. As @Sthrngary mentioned, do a mock booking now for the room(s) that catch your eye and see what it would cost you outright to upgrade. Sometimes when it gets closer to sailing it's cheaper/easier to just do that (that's how we got our 2BR villa on the Epic at a super low price of ~$300/pp/day).

On 1/23/2022 at 5:42 PM, Sthrngary said:

Advice: The Aft Haven Penthouse with Large Balcony is lovely however if you don't like vibrations from the ship, skip it.  It is also the other side of the ship from the Haven Courtyard. 

I second this thought. We had the Aft Haven on the Encore at the end of August and the room itself was huge and lovely with one of the best balconies we ever had, plus 2 potties which is always a plus when you travel with someone who likes to camp out on there - but a lot of vibration at night and a long walk to the courtyard. If it's your first time in Haven, stay closer to the courtyard so you can take advantage of all it has to offer. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Is the larger balcony wider and longer or just longer? From videos I see it goes past the bathroom, but can’t tell if it is also wider.

Thanks!

It was definitely deeper than the deck above us. They could look down on us when we were at the railing but not see us when we were sitting back.  We were in 17106 a 2 BR villa with large balcony on the Joy. 

22 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

It was definitely deeper than the deck above us. They could look down on us when we were at the railing but not see us when we were sitting back.  We were in 17106 a 2 BR villa with large balcony on the Joy. 

Thank you so much! Was having a hard time finding a video 😊

8 hours ago, worktocruise610 said:

Thanks!

We were in a 2-BR with large balcony last week, and our butler brought us two padded loungers. 71467CB3-5CBF-47CC-B539-F0A1AD9DA793.thumb.jpeg.f6c99d01f2f1084f00335ca114f6e998.jpeg

7F8CFC5D-F258-456C-A0E6-C692DF03AAC0.thumb.jpeg.9aaea0a1b54ac76e4ba7248435bb6cc4.jpeg