20yo & 19 yo in nearby cabin

WmFoster

10 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Sorry I've must have missed the definition of adult is to be able to buy a drink. You cannot rent a car here in the USA  or Australia if your 18. Does that make them not an adult?   

An 18 yo can rent a car in Australia. They may have to pay a hefty insurance cost to do it, but they can definitely rent a car.

There are many definitions of an adult, but to me an adult can do everything we have discussed here, rent cars, buy drinks, book a holiday on their own etc. At least that's how it is in Australia.

It confuses me that someone who is not considered to be an adult can buy a gun or get married....

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Wal Mart link you posted  aren’t firearms. 

Are they guns?

Do they fire a projectile?

I never suggested you could buy an AK47 in walmart, just that you could buy a gun.

Air rifles can only be sold in Australia by licensed firearm dealers. They are treated the same as any other rifle.

Edited by Balsam12

8 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

I just find it funny how people refer to a 19 and 20 yo going on a cruise with parents as "kids". As noted by another poster very early in this thread, in 90%+ of countries, a 19 yo is an adult in all respects.

Well for myself my 26 year old son has and will always be my "kid" 😉 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

Are they guns?

Do they fire a projectile?

I never suggested you could buy an AK47 in walmart, just that you could buy a gun.

Air rifles can only be sold in Australia by licensed firearm dealers. They are treated the same as any other rifle.

Well, one thing we have definitely concluded here is that things are different in Australia than they are in the USA. 

CHEERS!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

An 18 yo can rent a car in Australia. They may have to pay a hefty insurance cost to do it, but they can definitely rent a car.

There are many definitions of an adult, but to me an adult can do everything we have discussed here, rent cars, buy drinks, book a holiday on their own etc. At least that's how it is in Australia.

It confuses me that someone who is not considered to be an adult can buy a gun or get married....

5 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

not according to this

21 years of age or older

In order to rent a car while in Australia drivers must be a minimum of 21 years of age or older. Drivers between the ages of 21 to 25 may have to pay an additional young driver surcharge to the rental company.

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

not according to this

21 years of age or older

In order to rent a car while in Australia drivers must be a minimum of 21 years of age or older. Drivers between the ages of 21 to 25 may have to pay an additional young driver surcharge to the rental company.

Do you have a source for that quote?

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Well, one thing we have definitely concluded here is that things are different in Australia than they are in the USA. 

CHEERS!

Yep, and I'll agree with you and leave this conversation alone.

As I noted, nothing here is within the control of anyone on CC ( unless Mr Trump is a member), so nothing will be changed by our discussion.

As for what adults can and can't do on RC ships, unfortunately I'm well past the age where it affects me in any way, and I have no kids, so that's not a concern either.

It would be interesting to hear from someone from a country like Italy, where the drinking age is 16, but maybe that's for another discussion.

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

looked up minimum age to rent a car in Australia and I realize its not a government law but a rental car policy  (same as here )

Yes, car rental companies set the minimum age, not the US government. Some hotels do the same. States can lower the minimum drinking age, but lose 10% of highway funding. Cruises set their own rules regarding how old guests need to be to book a cabin, same as hotels (many hotels here require one guest to be 18). 

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

looked up minimum age to rent a car in Australia and I realize its not a government law but a rental car policy  (same as here )

Yep... definitely some rental companies just won't take the risk, but there's no law against it. As I noted, those companies that will rent to 18 year olds will probably slug them a huge insurance cost or take a huge deposit/credit card hold.

This is pretty understandable, but the question should be "Will the company rent to a married 18yo but not a single 18yo?"

18 hours ago, WmFoster said:

I shared this thread with my TA and he let me listen in on his call with Royal.  First a regular agent denied him and then he asked to go up the ladder where he was denied again although the agent agreed, as was noted by not-enough-cruising above, age would not matter if the kids were married.

Cruise a holic suggested getting two suites.  We booked late, it's Spring break week and kids are out of college.  We got the last remaining cabin bigger than a junior suite.  This isn't an Oasis class ship which tends to have a few of those 17th floor suites (which I love) available till late.

Many thanks.

Wm, if the initial post had included Spring Break reference, the responses you received from CC may have been different.  Many cruise lines have a hard stance on minimum age in Stateroom during Spring Break. 

have you considered 2 regular cabins, split your wife and yourself in different rooms.   With the $$ savings, you could buy the Key for both staterooms, as well as beverage packages (or ala carte).   You wouldn’t have to worry about show reservations, or waiting to board - which were some of your concerns.   Plus, you’d get Surf and Stream, which the ‘ younger adults’ will surely appreciate. 

I hope you come back and update after the cruise, if the thread is open. 

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

Maybe the "supermarket" bit was an exaggeration, but you can buy guns in Walmart, and you can't buy a Kinder surprise with the toy inside.

If anyone can show that I'm incorrect on either of these points, I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong.

As for someone getting a different insurance rate because they are married.... no, I know nothing of this, and it makes zero sense to me. To be honest, a 19 year old that gets married is probably less responsible that one that stays single, but that's a completely different argument which I won't get into here.

I would agree that someone in the armed forces probably has more sense, even if it's only because they know the consequences if they misbehave.

Walmart is not a super market.  Walmart also sells hammers and screwdrivers and baseball bats and paint and fertilizer.

The Kinder Surprise is banned because of a law that prohibits candy with non-edible parts inside.  To prevent small children from accidentally eating the non-edible part and choking to death.

In 1997, the staff of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) examined and issued a recall for some Kinder Surprise illegally brought into the US with foreign labels. The staff determined that the toys within the eggs had small parts. The staff presumed that Kinder Surprise, being a chocolate product, was intended for children of all ages, including those under three years of age. On this basis, the staff took the position that Kinder Surprise was in violation of the small parts regulation and should be banned from importation into the US.

Kinder Surprise bears warnings advising the consumer that the toy is "not suitable for children under three years, due to the presence of small parts", and that "adult supervision is recommended".

As for insurance rates, they are based on the underwriting experience.  Single males under 25 have a lot more accidents that married males under 25 or any male over 25.  Based strictly on FACTS.

53 minutes ago, Balsam12 said:

I don't dispute that in the US, a married 19yo can get a lower insurance premium than a single 19yo. I have simply never heard that before. I have been informed that it is possibly the same in the UK. In Australia, your marital status has no bearing on your insurance premium.

So, they just charge everyone more.

Insurance premiums are based on the insurance companies experience.  Certain groups have more accidents or more expensive accidents than other groups.

Since insurance companies are businesses, for profit, they charge more for insurance coverage than they expect to pay out.  So higher loss rate means higher insurance.  If they cannot break the groups down into finer parts, they just charge the larger group enough to cover the higher risk in that larger group.

48 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The Wal Mart link you posted  aren’t firearms. 

Actually, in some jurisdictions, air guns ARE classed as firearms.

However, I don't know about your Walmart, but the 3 nearest me DO sell firearms.  They no longer sell handguns (for MANY years), and they do not sell certain types of scary long guns.

But I do know that some Walmarts not that far away, that do not sell firearms.

55 minutes ago, BSocial said:

Wm, if the initial post had included Spring Break reference, the responses you received from CC may have been different.  Many cruise lines have a hard stance on minimum age in Stateroom during Spring Break. 

have you considered 2 regular cabins, split your wife and yourself in different rooms.   With the $$ savings, you could buy the Key for both staterooms, as well as beverage packages (or ala carte).   You wouldn’t have to worry about show reservations, or waiting to board - which were some of your concerns.   Plus, you’d get Surf and Stream, which the ‘ younger adults’ will surely appreciate. 

I hope you come back and update after the cruise, if the thread is open. 

Perhaps behind the scenes that hard(er) line Spring Break week stance does exist.  But while travelling with parents?

I wish I could find some articles about Spring Breakers causing problems while travelling with parents (land or sea).  That would probably set me straight on the hard line stance.

Though not related to cruising (or parents travelling with Spring Break "kids") I thought the following article on Spring Break trouble was interesting given that those charged under 25 years were just 14% of this sample.  And perhaps less than 10% were students.  And then it was 11 of 97 were students the following weekend which is also not much more than 10% of the problem:

But Miami Beach's finger-wagging at college students may have been misguided. Arrest data from one of this year's first major spring break weekends show that many of those charged with committing crimes were locals, the homeless, or older tourists. Of 51 arrests reviewed by New Times, only seven involved out-of-state visitors younger than 25. Only three police reports clearly identified the arrestee as a student.

Whole article link:

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-beach-spring-break-2019-college-students-arent-the-problem-arrest-data-suggests-11130260

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

Yep, and I'll agree with you and leave this conversation alone.

As I noted, nothing here is within the control of anyone on CC ( unless Mr Trump is a member), so nothing will be changed by our discussion.

As for what adults can and can't do on RC ships, unfortunately I'm well past the age where it affects me in any way, and I have no kids, so that's not a concern either.

It would be interesting to hear from someone from a country like Italy, where the drinking age is 16, but maybe that's for another discussion.

Actually, it’s not even for THIS discussion. 

I wish you would just stop. Your posts have nothing to do with helping the OP.