Music to Cross By

ClipperinSFO

I am crossing in a few week's time, and looking to put together a playlist to listen to while on board.  I was wondering what sort of music everyone listens to that evokes a transatlantic crossing for them?  Some works already included in the playlist are by Cole Porter ("Anything Goes") Noel Coward ("Sail Away") and Jule Styne ("Gentlemen Prefer Blonds") and a few others more recent sea-related songs (Rod Stewart, Randy Newman e.g.).  What works am I missing?  I know the ship will be constantly filled with live musical performances, but for those off moments in the cabin, or strolling on deck or those quiet early mornings in the lounges, I was thinking of adding a playlist to my iPod. The sounds of the Atlantic and the wind should be enough, but alas I am a child of popular culture and need a soundtrack now and then.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I enjoyed downloading from Itunes several albums of music that was played on the Titanic on it's only crossing. Not talking about the Broadway Show Titanic album.

To listen to that music that was played on board gave the style that was played of that period.

There was several albums of music played on other vessels sailing around that time.

Just to reflect on activities on board ships at that time in the evening and how the people were dressed, walking thru the hallways and dancing with such elegance. Would be strange to picture that on the QM2 and in the Queens Room...

Oh those days......

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ClipperinSFO said:

I am crossing in a few week's time, and looking to put together a playlist to listen to while on board.  I was wondering what sort of music everyone listens to that evokes a transatlantic crossing for them?  Some works already included in the playlist are by Cole Porter ("Anything Goes") Noel Coward ("Sail Away") and Jule Styne ("Gentlemen Prefer Blonds") and a few others more recent sea-related songs (Rod Stewart, Randy Newman e.g.).  What works am I missing?  I know the ship will be constantly filled with live musical performances, but for those off moments in the cabin, or strolling on deck or those quiet early mornings in the lounges, I was thinking of adding a playlist to my iPod. The sounds of the Atlantic and the wind should be enough, but alas I am a child of popular culture and need a soundtrack now and then.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Interesting that you should post this topic. I've started getting things together for my very long cruise in January and came across a fabulous CD that's defiantly suitable for ocean travel,

"Grand Salon Sounds

Music for Ocean Liners"

Just some of what it includes;

On a Steamer coming over ( American band leader Meyer Davis 1933)

Reckless night on an Ocean Liner ( American Raymond Scott )

Queen of the Sea ( Horatio Nicholas  1936 - originally written for the maiden voyage of the Queen Mary )

Here's to the last Time ( Henry Hall's sign off tune - original broadcast from the Queen Mary ballroom 1930's)

The Sailor with the navy blue eyes (Geraldo and his orchestra 1924 

And so much more, many of the songs and music are from 'original recordings from the Lounge/ Salons and the Dance floor of the old Queen Mary' . ( Noel Coward, Cole Porter, Fred Astaire etc )  

I certainly can recommend this CD for any Cunard buff , two hours of music sourced specially to accompany the USA (and V&A London) exhibition 'Ocean Liners speed and sound' 

Hopefully it's available on Amazon ? Good Luck.

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

Anything from HMS Pinafore (I am the very model of a modern Major General...) 

Sea Shanties

SpongeBob music😉

Actually, the Major-General number is from Pirates of Penzance, not HMS Pinafore - so perhaps rather less appropriate for a sea voyage!

6 hours ago, Sauer-kraut said:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

"Grand Salon Sounds

Music for Ocean Liners"

Just checked on Amazon and iTunes and neither has it available,  It sound ideal, and thank you for making me aware of it. I will have a look around in the UK and see of it is still on the shelves - or maybe even onboard QM2 in one of the shops.

Which way are you crossing? On a westbound when leaving Southampton we love to play music from the last night at the Proms (such as Rule Britannia, Jerusalem, Calm Seas and Prosperous Voyage, Land of Hope and Glory etc) as we watch England's green and pleasant land fade into the distance, it also reminds us of QE2 sail aways. Then we play more US themed music (New York, New York, Coming to America, Breakfast in America etc) as we sail through the fog banks on our way to New York.

1 hour ago, ClipperinSFO said:

Just checked on Amazon and iTunes and neither has it available,  It sound ideal, and thank you for making me aware of it. I will have a look around in the UK and see of it is still on the shelves - or maybe even onboard QM2 in one of the shops.

It looks like it was available from the V&A store:

https://www.vam.ac.uk/shop/ocean-liners-cd-152896.html, but alas is now sold out 😞

Not exactly what you have asked for, Clipper, but it should be said that I'm not aware of any ship that has as much live (and recorded) music on board than Cunard's transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2.

Many of their ensembles, given the right time and enough notice will include discrete requests from passengers too.
I can recall:

Live:
At least 3 piano soloists, playing differing styles at different times/locations.
A string quartet.

A jazz trio (nightly in The Chart Room - a lovely way to end the day)

The Theatre orchestra
The Queens Room ballroom orchestra, with singer

A harpist

A pop/poolside band
There are also mixed ensembles of the above, including a jazz band and the combined the two orchestra, plus strings at least once during the crossing.

All top quality musicians not to be missed. It's one of the things Cunard does very well.

Lastly there is often a classical concert master on board who gives matinee performances.

If your lucky, there may also be a featured perfomer (we had Herbie Hancock!) They will play concerts in the theatre but if they also have a 'night club' session in the Winter Garden or the pub, that's my favourite.

Recorded:

Discotheque/night club (also with a live band some nights)
Ballroom dancing music.

From what I recall, the choice of music in the cabins is, typically, limited. To play your own material, take a connector cord and play your own music into the back socket of your cabin's tv.

Happy listening.

Edited by Canuker
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, safarigal said:

Which way are you crossing? On a westbound when leaving Southampton we love to play music from the last night at the Proms (such as Rule Britannia, Jerusalem, Calm Seas and Prosperous Voyage, Land of Hope and Glory etc) as we watch England's green and pleasant land fade into the distance, it also reminds us of QE2 sail aways. Then we play more US themed music (New York, New York, Coming to America, Breakfast in America etc) as we sail through the fog banks on our way to New York.

I like your style.  I have Elgar lined up already (P&C 1 and 3) also from my QE2 sailaways in the past when it was played live.  We are sailing Eastbound this trip, so "Rule Britannia" is definitely on the list.

Although the CD is indeed sold out, the song list is on the website is very helpful.

1 hour ago, Canuker said:

A jazz trio (nightly in The Chart Room - a lovely way to end the day)

Thanks for the list -- I especially cannot wait for the jazz trio in the Chart Room.  It is a favorite after dinner spot for a martini before retiring. I can still hear them doing "Take Five" from our last crossing.  

On 11/23/2019 at 5:30 AM, Underwatr said:

Bill Withers' "Lovely Day" always makes me think of QM2 but that's because when Ray Rouse was the Entertainment Director it was the opening theme song for his 6 AM morning show on the in-room TV.