Do you get a passport for my kids?

Eli_6

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

First, the Enhanced Drivers License has been around for several years and is not to be confused with the REAL ID compliant licenses that will be required in limited circumstances after next October. If your son is under 16 he could have presented his birth certificate but something needs to be presented at the US border to demonstrate citizenship or one will be routed to secondary inspection.

As I said, He didn’t need a passport.

4 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, did someone say they have no children. We have children and grandchildren. Our daughters thought flying five or more hours with an infant far easier than with a toddler.

Not you. 

Aren’t most things easier with an infant than a toddler? 😉

• Like 1

On 12/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, 2wheelin said:

Enhanced DL is not required until next Oct.

You are confusing EDL with REAL ID.  DIFFERENT things.

REAL ID will be required to fly domestically or enter Federal buildings come October.  That is all it is good for.

EDL suffices for land or sea travel to foreign countries.  It is only issued by a few states, mostly along the Canadian border.  There is NO requirement for an EDL.  A passport book or card will do the same thing.  It is just a different option for people who only cross the Canadian border.

23 hours ago, ldubs said:

Huh, I thought the EDL could be used in place of the Real ID come 10/2020.  Probably opening a can of worms here.  

EDL is REAL ID compliant.  As are military ID, Federal ID, a passport book or card.

But a REAL ID is not usable to cross a foreign border.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SRF said:

EDL is REAL ID compliant.  As are military ID, Federal ID, a passport book or card.

But a REAL ID is not usable to cross a foreign border.

Thanks.  That is what I understood.  At this point I think we will just continue life with passports and not worry.  

Just now, ldubs said:

Thanks.  That is what I understood.  At this point I think we will just continue life with passports and not worry.  

If you have a passport, all is good.

Also, for others, REAL ID is not mandatory from a Federal level.  Some states allow you to choose.  I live in MD, and the only way to not get an REAL ID is to not be a US citizen.

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

If you have a passport, all is good.

Also, for others, REAL ID is not mandatory from a Federal level.  Some states allow you to choose.  I live in MD, and the only way to not get an REAL ID is to not be a US citizen.

In MD you have to get a REAL ID even if you have a passport?  

41 minutes ago, ldubs said:

In MD you have to get a REAL ID even if you have a passport?  

If you have a DL and are a US citizen, you have to get a REAL ID.  They are not charging more for it, like some states are.

And, surprising, going to the DMV to provide your documents has been VERY simple and quick.  Most people are in and out in well under 30 minutes.  Some as low as 15 minutes with an appointment.

1 hour ago, SRF said:

If you have a DL and are a US citizen, you have to get a REAL ID.  They are not charging more for it, like some states are.

And, surprising, going to the DMV to provide your documents has been VERY simple and quick.  Most people are in and out in well under 30 minutes.  Some as low as 15 minutes with an appointment.

Thanks.  This prompted me to double check that California doesn't do the same thing -- it doesn't.  

California has a step-by-step process that is supposed to provide guidance when a real ID is needed. Strangely enough it ignores international travel as a one of the travel options to be considered.   In every case I tested it says to replace your passport with the Real ID.   Hopefully it doesn't mislead someone into dropping their passport.  

53 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Thanks.  This prompted me to double check that California doesn't do the same thing -- it doesn't.  

California has a step-by-step process that is supposed to provide guidance when a real ID is needed. Strangely enough it ignores international travel as a one of the travel options to be considered.   In every case I tested it says to replace your passport with the Real ID.   Hopefully it doesn't mislead someone into dropping their passport.  

Zoinks, it will undoubtedly mislead someone (and of course it ignores that fact that a passport is REAL ID compliant).

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Got to love it.

I imagine, after READ ID goes into effect, it will be a ZOO for many people.   Those trying to fly without a REAL ID.  Those that got the wrong word and trying to fly internationally with only a REAL ID.

Oh well. 😄

The only thing to remember is, get to the airport early starting Oct 1, 2020. 😄

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

Got to love it.

I imagine, after READ ID goes into effect, it will be a ZOO for many people.   Those trying to fly without a REAL ID.  Those that got the wrong word and trying to fly internationally with only a REAL ID.

Oh well. 😄

And I have read one thread where someone thought the REAL ID license was sufficient by itself to board a cruise. Fortunately the passenger had someone at home that could fax a copy of their birth certificate.

21 hours ago, SRF said:

I got a nice letter from Maryland yesterday confirming that my REAL ID licence is REAL ID compliant. You may know that Maryland issued out a bunch of REAL ID licenses that were not REAL ID compliment. They did not scan the documents. I had to and have mine scanned even though they had issued me a REAL ID DL.

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

And I have read one thread where someone thought the REAL ID license was sufficient by itself to board a cruise. Fortunately the passenger had someone at home that could fax a copy of their birth certificate.

I would guess that next October there will probably be a lot more stories like that about cruises and airports. With all the various possible ID's and types of Drivers License many will be confused.

Edited by Charles4515

49 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I would guess that next October there will probably be a lot more stories like that about cruises and airports. With all the various possible ID's and types of Drivers License many will be confused.

That would be my guess also.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

Got to love it.

Oh well. 😄

I've shared the info a couple of times on FB but fear that there are some there who think it has to do with passports. I'll try again.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I got a nice letter from Maryland yesterday confirming that my REAL ID licence is REAL ID compliant. You may know that Maryland issued out a bunch of REAL ID licenses that were not REAL ID compliment. They did not scan the documents. I had to and have mine scanned even though they had issued me a REAL ID DL.

Yes, I know that this idiot state sent out something like 68,000 (yes THOUSAND) REAL ID licenses to people without any documentation that they were qualified for them.  Those people had a deadline to bring in the documents or have their license suspended.  Some people are saying they will not comply.  Oh well.

I needed to renew this past spring, so did both at once.  No problems, done.

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yeap, even now look at all the people confused about REAL ID and EDL.

I now have a REAL ID DL.  I have a USG ID badge (REAL ID compliant), and travel with my passport. 

I SHOULD be OK. 😄

On 12/4/2019 at 5:22 PM, SRF said:

Yeap, even now look at all the people confused about REAL ID and EDL.

I now have a REAL ID DL.  I have a USG ID badge (REAL ID compliant), and travel with my passport. 

I SHOULD be OK. 😄

You travel domestically with your passport? Or, I'm guessing, that all your flying is intl.

I’ve said it before and say it again that everyone should have a passport, especially if you travel outside of the USA (including going on Cruises).  It’s more useful than a drivers license and provides more travel options.

Americans are the only nation that are arrogant enough to even have such a discussion as In every other country, people use passports to travel outside of their country .

11 hours ago, clo said:

You travel domestically with your passport? Or, I'm guessing, that all your flying is intl.

I'm guessing that he means the first two IDs would be sufficient but the passport is available as a backup should some under-trained TSA agent reject the first two.