Lisbon to Sintra

bee-ess

Has anyone been to Sintra by train from Lisbon - how easy is it to do. I see the train goes from Rossio station which looks about a mile from the cruise terminal ?.

Do P&O still run shuttles into town which may get us a bit nearer the station.

Edited by bee-ess

We were in Lisbon earlier this year and didn't have a shuttle.  We were about half a mile from the entrance to the nearest Metro and the Square where the Tourist Information is (just a walk along the waterfront).  The Metro may give you an easy link to the Train station - but we found the instructions so difficult to follow (just to get tram tickets to Belem) that we ended up buying more than we needed.  The cashier in the ticket office didn't speak English.   

BUT and it's a big but, there are, I think, three different docks in Lisbon - at least one is a shuttle distance out.  I think you could try to determine the berth nearer to the time (I think I went into the Port website to find ours) but of course changes to planned berths is always possible).

I would be interested too to hear responses to your post as I'd thought Sintra would be a possible excursion we'd try when we go again next year.  From my CP there is a trip which P&O offer - but excursions aren't 'live' yet as at the moent it's just a selection of what trips may be available.  However if a DiY approach is an alternative, we'd been keen to find out how to go about it.

P.S. Just looked up the berths on this website.   We were at Jardim do Tabaco but you will read that Location A is about 3 miles out but there is a shuttle bus line to use for the centre and B sounds as though there are shuttles (provided by the port?).  

https://www.cruisemapper.com/ports/lisbon-port-65#:~:targetText=Lisbon cruise terminal,bridge (famous city attraction).

Edited by kruzseeka
  • Like 1

Thanks Kruzseeka for you excellent reply. We usually try trains where we can but always find the first part (ship to station) the hardest bit to work out, your reply has helped a lot. Last time we were in Lisbon we docked quite near to town near the other train station that goes to Cascais and that would be walkable to the central station I think from memory. I'll check on the port website where we are docked.

When we visited Lisbon a few years ago on board Azura P&O provide a shuttle bus service that dropped us off in the town centre at Restauradores Square which was very convenient.

The journey took us around 30 mins.

We did our own thing and had a very enjoyable day.

It’s a shame if P&O have now stopped that useful shuttle bus service.

Edited by P-L-B

Hols 4

There was a shuttle bus to the town centre( Restauradores Square) three weeks ago when we docked at the new cruise terminal on Aurora, the square is right by the main train station. If anyone wants to go direct to Belem there is the number 728 bus which goes there. The bus stops right outside the cruise terminal. Allight at Rue De Belem if you want the famous Pastise Dr Belen custard tart ship they are delicious !

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hols4 said:

Hols 4

There was a shuttle bus to the town centre( Restauradores Square) three weeks ago when we docked at the new cruise terminal on Aurora, the square is right by the main train station. If anyone wants to go direct to Belem there is the number 728 bus which goes there. The bus stops right outside the cruise terminal. Allight at Rue De Belem if you want the famous Pastise Dr Belen custard tart ship they are delicious !

For a moment I thought you were implying that there was a ship for tarts. :classic_ohmy:

BTW, Thanks for confirming P&O are still offering a shuttle bus service into Lisbon. 👍:classic_smile:

ISTR that the station in Sintra is about 500 feet (at least that's what it looked like) below the historic part of the town, so the P&O excursion may be a better bet. The historic town is certainly a lovely place to visit, though it gets very crowded with the huge number of tourist coaches that go there.

8 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Thanks Kruzseeka for you excellent reply. We usually try trains where we can but always find the first part (ship to station) the hardest bit to work out, your reply has helped a lot. Last time we were in Lisbon we docked quite near to town near the other train station that goes to Cascais and that would be walkable to the central station I think from memory. I'll check on the port website where we are docked.

Hi bee-ess, we have been to Lisbon 3 time recently and there is certainly a shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the City Centre. The drop off is now about 150 mts. From the station you want. P&O always have this shuttle bus. Not sure how long ago Kruzseeker was there or if it was with P&O but on the 8/9 occasions we have been we have had a shuttle. That is from both berths.

• Like 1

We have also taken the train to Sintra but we didn't get off there we went further on.

Our shuttle stopped in Restauradoes also. We bought our tickets from the ticket office rather than the machine and the cashier was very helpful and told us which platform etc.

We have used the trains a few times in Lisbon and find them excellent, very clean and on time.........and not a guard in sight! (controversial I know but it has to be said.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daiB said:

Hi bee-ess, we have been to Lisbon 3 time recently and there is certainly a shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the City Centre. The drop off is now about 150 mts. From the station you want. P&O always have this shuttle bus. Not sure how long ago Kruzseeker was there or if it was with P&O but on the 8/9 occasions we have been we have had a shuttle. That is from both berths.

We were there on Oriana this year - Mar/April.  We used the Jardim do Tabaco berth where there is no shuttle.  It's considered to be the city centre.  The two other berths mentioned in the port website do have shuttles as they are further out.  Depends on your berth.

Edited by kruzseeka

We were staying in Lisbon in October and caught the train from Rossio station,try to get to Sintra as early as possible as it get really busy,,you can buy a train /bus ticket at ticket office,will need to catch the bus from Sintra station but can walk through the park to the palace,There are card operated machines to buy tickets into Sintra park,we were luckily staying a 2 min walk from station,i would take a taxi from port to station to save time,there are 2 trains an hour,the walk back from station is easier than walk up from dock as all down hill 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

We were there on Oriana this year - Mar/April.  We used the Jardim do Tabaco berth where there is no shuttle.  It's considered to be the city centre.  The two other berths mentioned in the port website do have shuttles as they are further out.  Depends on your berth.

Yes that is the main cruise terminal with the large new terminal and very big car park in front. That is the one we have always had shuttle from both normal coaches and adapted minibuses. We were there twice when on Ventura in March, doing a back to back and last month on Ventura again. I agree it is quite close to “Black Horse Square”, about 10/15 minute walk. We have been there 5/6 times and seen the facilities improve and always had a shuttle. Generally we shuttle into the town and then wend our way back to the ship via shops and cafes.

1 hour ago, kruzseeka said:

We berthed at Jardim do Tabaco this summer on Independence of the seas and they also had a shuttle into Restauradores, and our also last cruise with P&O.

4 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

In that case, Dai and terrierjohn, i stand corrected. We were close to the Metro so we just walked there - i wasn't aware of shuttles.   

You would have walked right past them as you came out of the new terminal building.

Hols4

There were a lot of people complaining about the new cruise terminal at Jardim do Tabago on our last cruise there as you have to walk along long walkways to get out of the terminal and again coming back in you have to walk up a  steep ramp to get to the security check in. There seems to be a lot of empty areas not in use.Badly designed for people with walking difficulties.

32 minutes ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

There were a lot of people complaining about the new cruise terminal at Jardim do Tabago on our last cruise there as you have to walk along long walkways to get out of the terminal and again coming back in you have to walk up a  steep ramp to get to the security check in. There seems to be a lot of empty areas not in use.Badly designed for people with walking difficulties.

Yes it's not the most passenger friendly even for the able bodied, and having to go through security along with turnround passengers is also time consuming.

39 minutes ago, Hols4 said:

Hols4

There are lifts to avoid the ramp but it is still a long walk. Especially if you have walked from the city.

• Like 1