book on line or use a travel agent?

brenbrady

Hi, we booked cruise for March on Celebrity on line and we usually use a Travel Agent, should I notify her and I think I can transfer it to her.  What is the advantage or is there any.

I seem to read something on transferring it to travel agent but an not sure if I should do this, any help is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, brenbrady said:

Hi, We booked cruise on celebrity web site, we usually use a travel agent.  My question is should I transfer the trip to her or does it even matter.  What are the advantages or disadvantages if any.  I thought I read somewhere about transferring booking but now I can't find it.  Any help is appreciated.

You have 60 days to transfer your booking to a TA. We always transfer ours to our TA for the additional OBC. We try to book on board when we can to get as much OBC as possible.

The TA I use often has group rates that save a substantial amount of money, offer discounted or additional perks and additional onboard credit. If you find someone that can sweeten the pot a bit, I see no reason not to transfer. Some will argue the don't like 'losing control' of their reservation by going with a TA, but in my opinion, if I need help (which I rarely do) it doesn't really matter if I'm calling an agent or calling Celebrity directly. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, brenbrady said:

Thanks I just did post it there.

You should really take some time and do a search here on CC for the many benefits accrued by using the right TA. I know you'll find what you're looking for because I've penned quite a few of the very detailed posts about shared commissions, problem solving et al. While also dispelling myths.

Also, if you've already booked on your own, do that searching now since you'll only have a few weeks to make a transfer to a TA.

Need an incentive to do your homework? The right TA should be able to rebate to you 5-10% +\- of the commissionable fare in addition to the cruise line's perks.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

26 minutes ago, prim8keeper said:

You have 60 days to transfer your booking to a TA. We always transfer ours to our TA for the additional OBC. We try to book on board when we can to get as much OBC as possible.

Thanks for your help.

23 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

The TA I use often has group rates that save a substantial amount of money, offer discounted or additional perks and additional onboard credit. If you find someone that can sweeten the pot a bit, I see no reason not to transfer. Some will argue the don't like 'losing control' of their reservation by going with a TA, but in my opinion, if I need help (which I rarely do) it doesn't really matter if I'm calling an agent or calling Celebrity directly. 

Thanks for your help I will give her a call.

I would highly recommend a big box TA if you use them for groceries... It gives you ~8% back as a cash card to use at their store. Additionally you get ~4% if you use their CC. If you're doing a Galapagos type cruise that is a substantial amount of money saved.

The question of booking direct with a cruise line vs using a cruise/travel agency often becomes heated, but there is no cause.  So lets just cut through all the garbage and biases.  In nearly every case you should be able to save 7-10% (sometimes more) by using a cruise agency...assuming you do your shopping and use the right cruise agency (one that gives generous incentives).  In some cases you might save on the actual cruise price, and in other cases your money will come as generous on board credits.  Whether you choose to book direct with a cruise line and later transfer the booking to a cruise agency (who offers generous OBCs)...or you just book with a cruise agency in the first place has long been the subject of debate.  Personally we see little reason for the multi step process (book with the cruise line and transfer to an agency) but some do feel wedded to this process.

For those who continue to insist that you cannot save money with cruise agencies, we have the records from more then 100 booked cruises to prove them wrong :).  Since we tend to take longer and more expensive cruises our savings can often be in the thousands of dollars on a single cruise.  Those that are booking 7 day cruises will not save thousands but should be able to get several hundred in OBCs (or reduced pricing).   But the key is finding one of the cruise agencies that does have these great deals and that means shopping around.  Unfortunately, the CC Board rules prohibit me from giving you some names or even hints.

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

The question of booking direct with a cruise line vs using a cruise/travel agency often becomes heated, but there is no cause.  So lets just cut through all the garbage and biases.  In nearly every case you should be able to save 7-10% (sometimes more) by using a cruise agency...assuming you do your shopping and use the right cruise agency (one that gives generous incentives).  In some cases you might save on the actual cruise price, and in other cases your money will come as generous on board credits.  Whether you choose to book direct with a cruise line and later transfer the booking to a cruise agency (who offers generous OBCs)...or you just book with a cruise agency in the first place has long been the subject of debate.  Personally we see little reason for the multi step process (book with the cruise line and transfer to an agency) but some do feel wedded to this process.

For those who continue to insist that you cannot save money with cruise agencies, we have the records from more then 100 booked cruises to prove them wrong :).  Since we tend to take longer and more expensive cruises our savings can often be in the thousands of dollars on a single cruise.  Those that are booking 7 day cruises will not save thousands but should be able to get several hundred in OBCs (or reduced pricing).   But the key is finding one of the cruise agencies that does have these great deals and that means shopping around.  Unfortunately, the CC Board rules prohibit me from giving you some names or even hints.

Hank

I agree 100%, couldn’t have said it better myself.

• Like 1

Use a TA.  There for a while we were booking with the Big Box TA.  While that gave us the most money back, a TA saved us quite a bit more by rebooking when prices went down.  Plus the personalization and attention from the same TA every time is well worth it.  Our TA gives us OBC.  They just saved us $1k on an Antartica cruise by noticing a price reduction and getting us the better deal last month.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I always book directly with Celebrity.  From there I'm always contacted by one of their Travel Assistants.  I like working with them since they are well aware of the ins and outs of Celebrity.  Whenever I call the Celebrity TA with a competing offer from a local TA, Celebrity not only matched the local TA offer, but they went further to beat the offer.  The local TA offered a nice amount of money in OBC for my cruise.  The Celebrity TA, however, offered more OBC and offered the same credit for ALL the cruises I currently have booked with Celebrity in the future.  I'd encourage anyone to check them out and bring competing offers from local TAs.  Unless you're really sold out to your TA because you've worked with them in the past and you like their service, I'd advise anyone to at least give Celebrity a call to see what they can do for you on their end.  Celebrity let me know up front that they wanted to keep my business in house.  I appreciated the service.

10 minutes ago, meechee341 said:

I always book directly with Celebrity.  From there I'm always contacted by one of their Travel Assistants.  I like working with them since they are well aware of the ins and outs of Celebrity.  Whenever I call the Celebrity TA with a competing offer from a local TA, Celebrity not only matched the local TA offer, but they went further to beat the offer.  The local TA offered a nice amount of money in OBC for my cruise.  The Celebrity TA, however, offered more OBC and offered the same credit for ALL the cruises I currently have booked with Celebrity in the future.  I'd encourage anyone to check them out and bring competing offers from local TAs.  Unless you're really sold out to your TA because you've worked with them in the past and you like their service, I'd advise anyone to at least give Celebrity a call to see what they can do for you on their end.  Celebrity let me know up front that they wanted to keep my business in house.  I appreciated the service.

Do they automatically rebook you when the price goes down?

10 minutes ago, meechee341 said:

They must have changed their philosophy, Years ago I tried calling them when I found a better deal and was told, on several occasions, the price you see is the price you get.

If I was a travel agent and found a cruise line was undercutting me, it would be a cold day in Hades, before I would push their product. Last I saw, over 66% of cruises were booked through travel agents.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you book with a good "cruise-centric" TA they should be very aware of the "ins and outs" of X. I watch for price drops regularly on all of my booked cruises. It only takes a couple of minutes to check and it's become part of my routine. The benefit of using a TA is value added. An example is our upcoming cruise booked with a large, online, high volume "cruise-centric" TA. We booked the cruise through them for $300pp less than X's website price. In addition to the 2 perks offered by X we received 4 perks, (and the Premium beverage package instead of the Classic) as well as an additional 10% of the cruise fare back in the form of refundable OBC and an additional few dollars from the TA loyalty program. Why on earth would I book directly with X?

The last time I called X to match my TA I was told they couldn't touch that offer and to book it.

Edited by Luvcrusn
  • Like 1

We actually check prices daily on our 4 scheduled cruises with Celebrity. We're retired so have the time to do this and with the ~9 variables Celebrity has going now eg. refundable, nonrefundable, varying number of perks...... I don't think a TA will have time to sift through all these combos.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank would like to ask a  quick question please.

TWSPKS@AOL.COM,

Thanks, Tommy

20 hours ago, meechee341 said:

I also now book with celebrity directly as they matched the obc from the TA plus got additional with 4 perks and 2 bottles of wine.  In all honesty I don't find my local TAs very knowledgeable. 

23 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Do they automatically rebook you when the price goes down?

I've never had a chance to deal with that one.  I've always booked far in advance and, as it turns out, the price I get when they first open the booking window has always been the cheapest fare for me.  Expect one ONE time I booked an 11 night caribbean cruise about a month before the sailing and ended up in a suite for less than half price.  They are more than happy to reprice your cruise for you whenever you like though.  The TA's with Celebrity have always been great and they do send me advanced notice of sales and other information.  Plus right before it's time to cruise they can add on any special requests I need before boarding.  But again, if you can find an outside TA who can give you a better deal or more OBC,  go with that.

4 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I also now book with celebrity directly as they matched the obc from the TA plus got additional with 4 perks and 2 bottles of wine.  In all honesty I don't find my local TAs very knowledgeable. 

You know honestly, I've found the same thing.  I mean maybe the TA's in my area just aren't that great.  At least the Celebrity TA's are knowledgeable about the ships and how everything works.  I try to work with one TA in particular and she's great.  She keeps a running file on the things that I like in my stateroom,  dinner reservations I may want, and anything else she thinks may be important.  She'll make sure to have everything arranged for me and by using one of their TA's, I KNOW X has my information and I'm not dealing with a middle man.  

• Like 1

We always book on the Celebrity site and transfer to a big box TA. That big box TA has been incredible for us in both cash back, additional perks and onboard credit. Keep in mind this is on top of what Celebrity offers on their site. There really is no disadvantage to transferring your booking that we have found.

11 hours ago, dadofjessie said:

I always book with a cruise line planner.  I find travel agents a waste of time.  I get better deals talking directly with the cruise line.

You're talking to the wrong TAS and doing yourself out of quite a bit of money.  Look around and talk with your fellow cruisers on board. You'll be surprised at what you may be missing. 

16 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Now that I can agree with - most small independent TAs are not cruise experts.  Our online TA deals only with cruises and they have real, live flesh and blood people in the US.  If you aren't satisfied with one TA, keep looking.