BWI-MIA drastic flight changes

twins_to_alaska

I was booked on the Feb 22 Infinity two day cruise... still only one who had booked (back Sep 11) an oceanview (3114) cabin on deck 3 and only 2 inside cabins booked that deck. Yesterday I found that American Airlines had changed my nonstop flights between BWI and MIA.

I had on way out (day before) 11:55am-2:39pm and way back 2:05pm-4:43pm. Nice mid day times. Their non stop (and no other airline has nonstop) times are now 5:10am-7:39am on way out and 10:15pm-12:47am next day! on way back. I didn't even know planes flew at 5 am. 🙂 I certainly don't. 

Luckily was able to get full refund from them and then decided to cancel the cruise - Southwest just cancelled both my flights two weeks ago day of flight for a family visit so they aren't giving me the warm fuzzies either going through FLL - as still before final payment (Dec 9) and my very flexible airbnb.

It's unfortunate that if only one nonstop a day between cities that the times aren't a bit friendlier. I have other cruises planned including 2 day Equinox in January so no sadness there.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

5 minutes ago, GateGuardian said:

AA is the worse dealing with the whole 737MAX grounding. Many of their flights are still available for sale even without a plane and they change your flight after you make your purchase!

That will happen though when you have to schedule flights a year in advance with no certain knowledge of when/if the Max will be allowed to fly again...

• Like 1

I have had this trouble with AA even before the 737 situation.  AA made a massive terrible flight time change....

I remember because I called and told the rep (Pleasantly, so she know I was making a joke)   "I am not a piece of freight that doesn't care when it flies".

She laughed and worked with me.  It all worked out.  

As usual, call and be polite and see if they can help you .  

Have you considered taking a train, or driving? I hate connecting flights, too, but I don't think I would cancel a cruise because of it. 

When we lived near Fredericksburg VA we used to drive to BWI leaving at 1 to 2 a.m. to catch 5 or 6 a.m. nonstops to Las Vegas, but it was primarily the prices that had us doing it. That was back when SW had no preferences for any seat purchasers, so if you got there 4 hrs b/f your flight you could get an exit row seat (we are both 6 feet tall). Spent many an hour on BWI's floor at the gate...but when we arrived we went to the Bellagio or Paris champagne brunches and it was all worth it! 

In February, though, I do understand the threat of a missed connex in Atlanta or somewhere.

Edit: I just reread and saw it is only a 2 day cruise. Pretty much negates my ideas of investing more time to get there and back than you would be aboard!

Edited by mayleeman

We had flight cancellations this week due to the 787 Dreamliner Rolls Royce engine issues out of New Zealand.  We were and are on a 777-300ER that was shuffled around to work  the Dreamliner cancellations.  I am crossing my fingers that there will not be any more changes before we cruise in March.

• Like 1

We’ve had a few on American Airlines change our cruise back in October they changed both directions and put us on very long layovers had to change them up a little bit but still was very inconvenient times. Flights for 2020 on both American Airlines and Alaska have both changed in the last couple months !! Our flight on Alaska going to Costa Rica in April has changed three times twice on the way there getting later and later leaving LAX and arriving. And the flight home leaving earlier arriving home earlier?? Very irritating but what are you gonna do!!

We  regularly suffer a lack of non stops  on SW Air from Islip NY to Ft Myers.  Best we can do sometimes is get a flight that stops in Baltimore  but does not require a plane change .  Changing in Baltimore is always  awful....but  the only other choice  for us would be flying out of JFK or La Guardia..also nightmares!

It was so nice to catch a non stop from ISP to Ft Lauderdale for our EDGE cruise....easy peasy.

Flights are not as eady as they used to be...unless you have flexible  dates and times

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Best we can do sometimes is get a flight [to Ft Myers] that stops in Baltimore  but does not require a plane change.

Those are better--until they surprise you with a plane change after all. Would it make sense to do NS to FLL and just drive to Ft Myers if you end up renting a car anyway?

Edited by mayleeman

6 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

As usual, call and be polite and see if they can help you .  

Wasn't much to be done... they had transferred me to the new only non stop each way but the times just aren't in sync with vacation for pleasure for me. I mainly added the cruise to see if I liked one of the deck 3 Mclass OV cabins with the larger windows and escape Baltimore winter for a few days. Not a big loss.

As noted it's only a 2 night cruise so stop over somewhere in February wasn't really worth it for me.

Edited by twins_to_alaska

14 minutes ago, twins_to_alaska said:

Wasn't much to be done... they had transferred me to the new only non stop each way but the times just aren't in sync with vacation for pleasure for me. I mainly added the cruise to see if I liked one of the deck 3 Mclass OV cabins with the larger windows and escape Baltimore winter for a few days. Not a big loss.

As noted it's only a 2 night cruise so stop over somewhere in February wasn't really worth it for me.

Totally understand...There are cruises that are special and you are willing to put up with difficult flights/connections to enjoy but when it is simply to enjoy a very short break, just not worth it. 

On 12/4/2019 at 1:21 PM, mayleeman said:

Those are better--until they surprise you with a plane change after all. Would it make sense to do NS to FLL and just drive to Ft Myers if you end up renting a car anyway?

On paper sounds good but not really...

Our place is in Venice...That's  means an unpleasant  ride in Ft Lauderdale( lots of traffic and delays most of the time) , then over the Alligator Alley....and up north to Venice...no of Ft Myers.  Just did this run post cruise..accidents and construction delays along the way!

Used to do nonstops in/ out of TPA but they moved rental cars   which we need to use to/from Venice,   way way way out...really bad!

We just tough it out and make the best of Baltimore! Travel day is something we have to suffer through!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 7:34 AM, twins_to_alaska said:

I was booked on the Feb 22 Infinity two day cruise... still only one who had booked (back Sep 11) an oceanview (3114) cabin on deck 3 and only 2 inside cabins booked that deck. Yesterday I found that American Airlines had changed my nonstop flights between BWI and MIA.

I had on way out (day before) 11:55am-2:39pm and way back 2:05pm-4:43pm. Nice mid day times. Their non stop (and no other airline has nonstop) times are now 5:10am-7:39am on way out and 10:15pm-12:47am next day! on way back. I didn't even know planes flew at 5 am. 🙂 I certainly don't. 

Luckily was able to get full refund from them and then decided to cancel the cruise - Southwest just cancelled both my flights two weeks ago day of flight for a family visit so they aren't giving me the warm fuzzies either going through FLL - as still before final payment (Dec 9) and my very flexible airbnb.

It's unfortunate that if only one nonstop a day between cities that the times aren't a bit friendlier. I have other cruises planned including 2 day Equinox in January so no sadness there.

One of the reasons AA has so few BWI to MIA flights is because they do not bother to really compete with SW and Spirit flights to FLL. We live in Maryland equidistant from BWI and the DC airports which have plenty of flights to Miami on AA, but I know that it is a hassle for Baltimore folks to use DCA or IAD.

I only use Southwest out of bwi, even for cruises from Miami.  They have lots of nonstops to FLL, and you can take a shuttle from FLL to wherever in Miami you're staying before the cruise (45 minute drive).  The plus about southwest is they're generally less expensive and 2 checked bags are included in the price.  However, I just checked your dates and since it's been so long since they opened those dates for booking, the prices are a little high now, like $500-$600 pp round trip.  For other trips in the future, definitely check Southwest to FLL first.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2019 at 11:26 AM, hcat said:

We  regularly suffer a lack of non stops  on SW Air from Islip NY to Ft Myers.  Best we can do sometimes is get a flight that stops in Baltimore  but does not require a plane change .  Changing in Baltimore is always  awful....but  the only other choice  for us would be flying out of JFK or La Guardia..also nightmares!

It was so nice to catch a non stop from ISP to Ft Lauderdale for our EDGE cruise....easy peasy.

Flights are not as eady as they used to be...unless you have flexible  dates and times

We will soon feel your pain. After 40 years of living in Maryland with loads of SW and other airline options from BWI or the DC airports we are relocating to central Long Island. So we will be going from frequent easy peasy access to flights everywhere to issues you mention. BUT we will be only 25 minutes from the grandkids😀