Egg Crates On Beds?

Sominex

I see no reason to request one if I'm sleeping in in a regular bed; perhaps if I were on a sofa bed, but I don't know for certain on that. 
The beds are very comfy, with a nice pillow top. I've always slept better on a HAL bed than I do at home. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I see no reason to request one if I'm sleeping in in a regular bed; perhaps if I were on a sofa bed, but I don't know for certain on that. 
The beds are very comfy, with a nice pillow top. I've always slept better on a HAL bed than I do at home. 

I agree, we actually purchased one for our home.

I was on the NA this past October and our bed was terribly hard.  We requested an egg crate or anything to make it softer, but alas we were told they do not have anything to put on the bed.  The previous year we were on the NA and had a great bed, no complaints.  Different cabin that time.  So.... not sure, but maybe it was our particular cabin that had a hard bed, as most people say the bedding is very comfortable.  We were in cabin 4168.  Very noisy cabin also. Would not recommend that cabin to anyone.

I have always found the beds on HAL to be extremely comfortable as has DH.

Including the NA,  Volendam, Prinsendam, Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Rotterdam, old Rotterdam and NA.

It’s one of the very nice features of HAL IMO.  (And yes, we are fussy on our beds 😉 )

We were on the K and my DH loved the bed but I found it too hard.  They folded a duvet and put it under the bottom sheet.  It made enough of a difference so that I was comfortable for the remainder of the trip.  Let me say this is the only time that I haven't been in love with our beds on HAL.

18 hours ago, Sominex said:

We will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam this coming Sept.  Does anyone recommend requesting an egg crate topper on their beds?

Thanks,

Som

Hmmm... the thought of having to save up a bunch of egg crates and dragging them along for my cruise doesn't thrill me.... especially with the baggage charges all the airlines have now. How many egg crates would it take to cover a queen size bed? 

4 hours ago, Sominex said:

I asked if anyone requested one; I meant from the ship.  Have done this in the past but that was 8 years ago and they immediately brought me one at no charge.  I would never cart one along with me.

Yes, I requested one and was denied.  October 2019 sailing on the NA.  Was told that that they did not provide those anymore. Requested one from our cabin steward and also from his supervisor. All stated that none were available on the ship.  YMMV.

Thanks but I'd never carry something like that; hopefully the beds will be better on today's ships as I was always able to get an egg crate on previous cruises and they really made a difference.

Thanks all,

Jean

On 12/20/2019 at 4:05 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:
On 12/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, Jammu2 said:

Supposedly cruise lines have nixed the "egg crate toppers" because they are unsanitary.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:05 AM, Krazy Kruizers said:

Our mattresses on the Eurodam and Westerdam were terrible.

No pillow top.  The mattress was the new type -- box and mattress all in one.  Box springs were not separate.  HARD!!  No egg crates available.

I was on the Eurodam last month. I requested an eggcrate/topper and received one immediately. 

Edited by dobiemom

2 hours ago, dobiemom said:

I was on the Eurodam last month. I requested an eggcrate/topper and received one immediately. 

Wonder why on Eurodam but not on the NA.... Wish they had had that on the NA in October.  Would have made sleeping a lot more comfortable!