Country of citizenship vs country of birth check in?

Vitesacd

When Filling out the online check in, it asks for both citizenship and birth countries. However, I was born in one country and have citizenship in the other. Also currently a ARC holder in the U.S and have a passport in the country of citizenship, not birth. When checking countries for visa requirements, is this based on the country I hold a passport in or the country of birth? I have seen both terms used and it's confusing.Will be going on a closed loop cruise fro, the U.S to the Caribbean and Mexico in a few weeks so I would like to not have any surprises.

I am the same born in one country citizen of another. It is your passport that determines the visas you need.

Technically I could hold citizen ship in both countries and have two passports. Then you can choose which one you use. But on cruise lines you can only use one passport.

One note if you have dual citizenship, the US (at least) requires you to reenter with your US passport if you are a US citizen.   What you use in other countries is up to you (and their laws).

It's not uncommon for visas and the various things that stand in its place (electronic documents and waiver programs) to ask the place of your birth in addition to your citizenship, so I suspect that's why the cruise line also asked.

11 hours ago, Vitesacd said:

When checking countries for visa requirements, is this based on the country I hold a passport in or the country of birth?

passport.

For the record, I was born in Country A, but never had a passport there and I was never a citizen of that country. I do have two citizenships (country B and the US), but only have a US passport. So, I use my US passport to travel on.

This comes up ofter for Canadians going to the US, they may have a Canadian Passport, but if they were born in one of the “restricted” countries they may still require a VISA to enter the US.

When we drive over most of the US agents ask what country you were born in and not what your citizenship is.  

1 hour ago, Schonert said:

This comes up ofter for Canadians going to the US, they may have a Canadian Passport, but if they were born in one of the “restricted” countries they may still require a VISA to enter the US.

When we drive over most of the US agents ask what country you were born in and not what your citizenship is.  

You're incorrect. There are very limited circumstances that would require a Canadian citizen to have a visa when entering the US. Being born in one of the "restricted" countries is not one of those circumstances. Here's the official information from the US government outlining the circumstances under which a Canadian citizen needs to have a visa: https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/do-i-need-a-visa/ 

Further, the Canadian government confirms this.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-states

The link cited below for  exceptions takes you to the same page I cited above.

Visas

Canadian visitors can usually stay in the United States for 6 months without a visa. You must declare your intended duration of stay upon entry into the United States.

In most circumstances, Canadian citizens do not require visitor, business, transit or other visas to enter the United States from Canada but there are some exceptions.

Canadians Requiring Visas - U.S. Embassy & Consulates in Canada

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

A lot of opposing views so far in this interesting thread.
And, so far, OP still has not disclosed his/her C.o.B. - or citizenship(s).
The last phrase of his/her original post suggests there are concerns. Clicking OP's nickname, I see this is not the first time that he/she has brought up this issue.
Quoted in the OP post also is "ARC". This stands for "Alien Registration Card" which I believe is the same as a US "green card".

The only reason I have seen that they want to know in case you were born in that particular country.

Some countries, no matter what, you are a citizen of that country if you were born there.  So you may have citizen obligations.

On 12/24/2019 at 9:06 AM, Vitesacd said:

When checking countries for visa requirements, is this based on the country I hold a passport in or the country of birth?

Country of citizenship/passport you are going to use in addition to your green card.

I don't know why the forms ask for the country of birth. Some Europeans are born in countries that do not exist any more such as the former Yugoslavia and what used to be Czechoslovakia, now split in two different countries. The country of birth has become irrelevant. Are there any countries that leave a black mark on your birth forever? 

• Like 1

^Not necessarily forever, but at certain times where you were born does indeed impact your travel paperwork requirements later in life.

When the US started flinging out new restrictions every five minutes right after Trump became president (exaggeration of course, but there were many variations due to all the court cases and all of the changes impacted someone...) some British citizens were forbidden entry under the Visa Waiver scheme due to where they were born. There are many articles easily Googleable about this. So yes, place of birth and ALL citizenships held are potentially relevant to the required paperwork when you cross any international border - as noted above some states automatically give you birth citizenship status, and some also refuse to allow that citizenship to be given up so there's nothing you can do to remedy the matter.

Only way to be sure is to go to the horses mouth - each country being visited - to check if either current citizenship, US green card, place of birth, and any other citizenships held have an impact on what you need to file. I find that Wikipedia is a really convenient first visit for this type of info, as they have simple maps of the world with colour codes indicating Visa requirements (or not) as well as links to government websites - so you can easily go check the info hasn't changed since the page was last updated.