Koningsdam - Taste of De Librije dinner canceled

Go38car

I am booked on Koningsdam Feb 23, 2020.  I was super excited about the Taste of De Librije dinner that was offered.  I pre-booked/pre-paid.

I received an email from Holland on12/21 that the Taste of De Librije dinner on 3/1 was canceled.  No reason given (said due to “Operational reasons”).  Anyone have any insights on why they would do this?  

Thanks!

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

i understand that the contract with 'De Librije' ends soon and is not being renewed.

Surprises me. Johnny’s stand alone in Zwolle was named one of top 50 restaurants in the world by Conde Nast magazine. Even though the ships menu didn’t compare to the restaurant we always enjoyed this dinner. If it is in fact true, I’m sure someone will be replacing him on HAL’s Culinary Council. Probably another top chef winner again!

Edited by freestyling
  • Like 1

What a pity if the Librije will be discontinued. The reason could well be that every change in the PG kitchen staff needs extra instructions as to the special recipes. During only one of our cruises this dinner was cancelled and the reason was that special ingredients were not delivered in time.  

1 hour ago, MAVIP said:

What a pity if the Librije will be discontinued. The reason could well be that every change in the PG kitchen staff needs extra instructions as to the special recipes. During only one of our cruises this dinner was cancelled and the reason was that special ingredients were not delivered in time.  

This is a very logical theory. 

While the Librije offering on ship is greatly simplified versus the on land restaurant, it is still far more complex to execute than anything else offered on ship.

It may also be that Librije is chosing not to renew the relationship.

My own restaurant group declined an opportunity as the reputational risk (trusting others to execute on a level you'd be happy with) was simply not worth the money that could be earned. 

• Thanks 1

I'm going on a long Carnival cruise in February, and have signed up for the special Chef's Dinner ($75 extra charge).  I find it interesting that Carnival offers something like this but I've not seen anything similar on HAL.  

8 minutes ago, Roz said:

I'm going on a long Carnival cruise in February, and have signed up for the special Chef's Dinner ($75 extra charge).  I find it interesting that Carnival offers something like this but I've not seen anything similar on HAL.  

HAL had a Chef’s Table for many years.  For some reason they didn’t advertise it and you had to book it on board. Limited to a small group of people, pricier than Carnival’s IIRC and it was very good.  No tour of the kitchen - instead you were invited to the Pinnacle Bar (or another location on the smaller ships) for hosted drinks and chatting.

A couple of years ago (or 3?) when I asked to book on board, I was told that it had been put on “hold” while HAL evaluated it.  Haven’t seen it back since, sadly. But the Cellar Master is still offered on the ships which is a great evening 🙂 

IIRC, the HD said the cruise had to be over 10 days to offer either one.

4 minutes ago, kazu said:

HAL had a Chef’s Table for many years.  For some reason they didn’t advertise it and you had to book it on board. Limited to a small group of people, pricier than Carnival’s IIRC and it was very good.  No tour of the kitchen - instead you were invited to the Pinnacle Bar (or another location on the smaller ships) for hosted drinks and chatting.

A couple of years ago (or 3?) when I asked to book on board, I was told that it had been put on “hold” while HAL evaluated it.  Haven’t seen it back since, sadly. But the Cellar Master is still offered on the ships which is a great evening 🙂 

IIRC, the HD said the cruise had to be over 10 days to offer either one.

Interesting.  Thanks for the background info.  My Carnival cruise is 13 days.  Over a year ago I reserved my seat, but didn't have to pay anything.  Apparently what they do is let you know the day and time when you're onboard.  There's a waiting list, so anyone who doesn't confirm loses their place.  Everyone I know who's done it raves about it.  It's quite an unusual menu.  Will have to check out the Cellar Master the next time I'm on a longer HAL cruise.

We enjoy the Cellar Master's dinner, too, just sorry the Master Chef's Table seems to be no more.  The CM dinner is usually different each time, which is nice.  The menu is decided upon by the CM and chef, with wines and dishes to match.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

We enjoy the Cellar Master's dinner, too, just sorry the Master Chef's Table seems to be no more.  The CM dinner is usually different each time, which is nice.  The menu is decided upon by the CM and chef, with wines and dishes to match.

I always look forward to those dinners.   Off the Zuiderdam last week and none was offered.... 

Dh and I attended a pop up Tamarind on our Volendam Amazon Explorer Cruise.  While the food was superb and the Pinnacle elegantly decorated, there was terrible lag time with the kitchen, causing a delay of up to 30 minutes between courses.  It turned into a disaster, with Aurora, the wonderful Pinnacle Grill Manager, going to every table and apologizing.  Some people created a scene and stormed out.  We stayed, but after 2 1/2 hours we ran out of things to talk about!  We were never charged for the dinner.  I am sure they have fine tuned the kitchen by now so that it will be a wonderful experience.

Karen

On 12/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, Alphen said:

Would be very sad to see this excellent dining venue go, it is still offered on our upcoming cruise in March/April.

And so it luckily is on ours in April.

Edited by MAVIP

On 12/27/2019 at 1:52 AM, Loreto said:

Dh and I attended a pop up Tamarind on our Volendam Amazon Explorer Cruise.  While the food was superb and the Pinnacle elegantly decorated, there was terrible lag time with the kitchen, causing a delay of up to 30 minutes between courses.  It turned into a disaster, with Aurora, the wonderful Pinnacle Grill Manager, going to every table and apologizing.  Some people created a scene and stormed out.  We stayed, but after 2 1/2 hours we ran out of things to talk about!  We were never charged for the dinner.  I am sure they have fine tuned the kitchen by now so that it will be a wonderful experience.

Karen

What a pity for the guests and the kitchen staff (and Aurora of course). We often ask for more time between courses so we do not have to eat in a continuous tempo and have time for some conversation after the day out.  We are happy with the French and Mediterranean dining habits. DH and I know each other for 60 years so of course it depends also on the other guests at our table 😉