Epic Boarding warning out of San Juan

Sweetnspicy

I received luggage tags today (first time ever) and this enclosed note. 

”The Norwegian Epic will not be ready for boarding until approximately 1:00pm. Check in will be held from 1:00pm-6:00pm

Due to the layout of the cruise terminal, we are not able to begin check in before 1:00pm and you will not be able to come inside. There is very limited space at the cruise terminal, so to avoid congestion, we ask that you please arrive at the time you selected during online check in.”

CADA3D96-F73A-43DA-9141-0D3D938FAE7F.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s a terrible pier for a ship that size but I think the RCL ship will be gone before our sailing. I think it’s going into dry dock or something.

I didn’t get a letter. But I live in the middle of nowhere so it will probably show up sometime after we come back.

Edited by Tinyturtle22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were on the Epic 12/29/19 to 01/05/20 and had received a similar letter. We left our hotel in Candado at 12:15 and were onboard (through security, checkin, etc) by 12:40. There were no lines. Fastest embarking we’ve ever had! 

There is one road in/out. They need to get everyone off the ship and away from port before people arrive for the next cruise, or it becomes a horrible mess. 

Edited by mnventure

Thanks. Shows how observant I am. I didn’t even notice the top of the letter.  Thats my sailing date too, and it made me realize I hadn’t checked the mailbox today.  Now that I have, I find I don’t have a letter from NCL.

They aren't kidding.

The last trip we took out of San Juan was on RCL Freedom of the Seas. We received notice that boarding was going to be delayed until 12:30 due to a mandatory coast guard inspection. We thought yeah right, the other suckers can be delayed getting on, not us. We showed up at 11:00am luckily there was still standing room only left in the building. At about 11:15 the fire marshal said no more and those folks got stuck outside in the heat.

Even inside it was uncomfortable. We stood there waiting until about 1pm, then they opened boarding. After suites got on we found a chair and waited until the Emerald group got called.

Would could have been in a nice pub in Old San Juan relaxing and having a drink.

23 minutes ago, HalfHand said:

They aren't kidding.

The last trip we took out of San Juan was on RCL Freedom of the Seas. We received notice that boarding was going to be delayed until 12:30 due to a mandatory coast guard inspection. We thought yeah right, the other suckers can be delayed getting on, not us. We showed up at 11:00am luckily there was still standing room only left in the building. At about 11:15 the fire marshal said no more and those folks got stuck outside in the heat.

Even inside it was uncomfortable. We stood there waiting until about 1pm, then they opened boarding. After suites got on we found a chair and waited until the Emerald group got called.

Would could have been in a nice pub in Old San Juan relaxing and having a drink.

yikes!!! I have an early boarding time 1:30, but we are just going to find a bar/restaurant and hangout until 3pm. I cannot handle crowds in tight spaces. I would flip out. 

48 minutes ago, libtrek said:

No letter here yet. Our docs say 12 noon boarding.we took NCL flight and transfer. We. Shall see with our 8 other fam members. JAN 26 cruise.

Mary

I had selected 11:00 checkin for my cruise, doesn’t matter....they don’t want you there before 1:00 (per the email). I arrived at 12:30pm and it was fine. What time does your flight arrive? 

I'm on the same sailing and I didn't receive any notification either. I even logged onto MyNCL on the website thinking I may have a notification about the San Juan delay, NOPE. Since you received luggage tags in the mail I take it for granted you will be a Haven guest.  I'm guessing NCL doesn't care what time 2nd class passengers like myself arrive at the terminal. if lower class passengers have to stand outside in the sun for a couple of hours who cares.

Thanks for giving the rest of us a heads up Sweetnspicy.

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. Cruisers leaving this week monitor impacts of today’s major earthquake. 

Based on what The Weather Channel is reporting, power is out to the entire island right now.  They are hoping to get it restored to some of the island by mid-afternoon.

28 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I'm on the same sailing and I didn't receive any notification either. I even logged onto MyNCL on the website thinking I may have a notification about the San Juan delay, NOPE. Since you received luggage tags in the mail I take it for granted you will be a Haven guest.  I'm guessing NCL doesn't care what time 2nd class passengers like myself arrive at the terminal. if lower class passengers have to stand outside in the sun for a couple of hours who cares.

Im not in the Haven!! I have an aft balcony. This is my first time ever getting a letter or tags. I barely have any status either. Another person on our cruise is in a sail away rate and she also received the letter. Who knows how they do things! Looking forward to meeting you. My name is Stevi. 🙂

For all of you on recent sailings, please continue to update us on how embarkation/disembarkation goes. We sail on 2/23.

We are in the Haven and received our luggage tags yesterday, but there was nothing in the letter about boarding times. Maybe there is going to be an inspection for this sailing?

While arriving later would probably be the smart choice, I have a feeling that we will get to the port as soon as we can. My husband's dialysis supplies are being delivered to the ship and until we know they are on the ship/in our cabin we can't really relax. Last year it was nice -- our butler found us as we were waiting to board to let us know that the supplies had been delivered and they were in our cabin. THAT was when our vacation officially began. 😀

1 hour ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Im not in the Haven!! I have an aft balcony. This is my first time ever getting a letter or tags. I barely have any status either. Another person on our cruise is in a sail away rate and she also received the letter. Who knows how they do things! Looking forward to meeting you. My name is Stevi. 🙂

Wow, I haven't heard of anyone getting luggage tags in the mail except for Haven guests.  You must be doing something right Sweetnspicy.  Regardless of the boarding process I plan to have a great time on this cruise.  If I get stressed during the boarding process I'm sure a couple of adult beverages from Maltings or Shaker's will eliminate that stress.  😁

20 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

Wow, I haven't heard of anyone getting luggage tags in the mail except for Haven guests.  You must be doing something right Sweetnspicy.  Regardless of the boarding process I plan to have a great time on this cruise.  If I get stressed during the boarding process I'm sure a couple of adult beverages from Maltings or Shaker's will eliminate that stress.  😁

🥂🍷🥃🍸🍹🍻🍺

12 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

We were in a balcony....got an email 12 days before our 12/29 cruise. Did you book through a TA? If yes, maybe the email when to the TA?