Gem Refurbished

corack

Just now, hladygirl said:

The Gem definitely needs a refurb especially the pool deck. I laughed when I got on her and saw those pineapple lights still around the pool deck.

I’m on the Gem right now, our fourth cruise aboard this ship.  We love the Gem — it’s a great size, it’s comfortable, and has wonderful public spaces. But some of it is really dated. While the 2017 refurb helped (especially in removing the bordello-worthy purple and green furnishings), the dark, old wood laminates in the staterooms imho are really dreary and dated and should be replaced. NCL should consider giving the Jewel-class ships a genuine update, the way Celebrity is updating its older M-class ships.  Gut the staterooms and give them a true refresh. 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 1:19 PM, Turtles06 said:

I’m on the Gem right now, our fourth cruise aboard this ship.  We love the Gem — it’s a great size, it’s comfortable, and has wonderful public spaces. But some of it is really dated. While the 2017 refurb helped (especially in removing the bordello-worthy purple and green furnishings), the dark, old wood laminates in the staterooms imho are really dreary and dated and should be replaced. NCL should consider giving the Jewel-class ships a genuine update, the way Celebrity is updating its older M-class ships.  Gut the staterooms and give them a true refresh. 

That's essentially what they are doing with the Spirit, although it's almost 10 years older than the Jewel class ships.  I don't see any significant dry dock changes being made until after the Leonardo class ships start arriving.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:22 PM, hladygirl said:

The Gem definitely needs a refurb especially the pool deck. I laughed when I got on her and saw those pineapple lights still around the pool deck.

Yes, I agree!

This is the Jewel after her dry-dock in late 2018 … no more pineapples!

DSC08701.JPG

On 1/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, hladygirl said:

They are supposed to be palm trees, I think.

On 1/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, corack said:

Was NCL Refurbished or is it scheduled to be?

I hope it’s soon. Paint chipping and water on air conditioning unit. Paint chipping all over balcony. Un useable. God only knows what is in the paint. Wonderful staff and friendly service. Great cruise on tired ship. 14 nights October 2019.

On 1/18/2020 at 12:22 PM, hladygirl said:

I grew to like the palm tree lights, and missed them when they removed them from Dawn. At least they made you laugh 😁🌴🍍