New England Cruise

I have never been on this cruise before.  I was wondering what port are the best ports to just get off the ship and walk around and get a lobster lunch.  And, if you have any suggestions for what to do in any of the ports, that would be wonderful.  I have asked on the roll call but have had no response, it is small and probably new to them also.   Thanks

Been on several Canada/NE cruises.  Food is subjective but for lobster the ports would be Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax.  Last year the lobster roll I had in Halifax beat the one in Maine.  

What you are interested in doing?  Take a look at the excursions for your cruise and get an idea of things to see.  If you give some direction, it will be easier to give suggestions.   Where are you leaving from?  Time of year?

32 minutes ago, luvsvacations said:

I have never been on this cruise before.  I was wondering what port are the best ports to just get off the ship and walk around and get a lobster lunch.  And, if you have any suggestions for what to do in any of the ports, that would be wonderful.  I have asked on the roll call but have had no response, it is small and probably new to them also.   Thanks

Which ports does your cruise go to?  Different New England cruises go to different ports.

First, you are going to have a great time! I am not sure which you are going on as there are multiple, but I went on the 9 night New England & Canada one in the Anthem. I loved it so much that I am doing it again, but on the Adventure. I do not eat seafood, but I forced myself to have it. I still did not like it, but others loved it. I had it on one of the excursions in Canada that included the lobster lunch. The advice I received was that the more north you go, the colder the water and better the lobster. Personally, I would recommend an excursion and each that I took had a stop and recommendation for great NE clam chowder, lobster roll or lobster. I liked the excursions because it gave me a good overview of the area, had stops, made suggestions and was able to learn history and see some of the most beautiful nature and do things like explore sea caves. Start off by looking through each excursion in the cruise planner and see if anything tickles your fancy. In each port, you were able to walk off and explore and find some shops (or take a quick trolley like in Boston), so you will be okay even if you are in your own.

Boston

Have you every taken a food walking tour? It's a wonderful way to learn the history of a place and taste delicious, authentic local food. The cruise pier in Boston is about a 10-minute walk from the North End, this Little Italy section of town oozes with atmosphere and you'll feel as if you stepped into another country with the small shops and cobblestone roads. 

http://www.offtheeatenpathtours.com/ - Is the company to call for a terrific, entertaining and delicious food tour that will take you to the best local places and teach you some interesting facts while you're at it. It's a nice stroll back to ship from there, walk along the waterfront and stop at the Boston Aquarium if you have any energy left. 

Bar Harbor, Maine

One of our favorite stops. A walk around the town square is a lovely way to spend the morning. This is a quintessential American town, with small shops, cafes, book stores, lots of great local seafood and tons of atmosphere. Whether you visit Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mountain with its commanding, dramatic views, make sure you still leave time to stroll through the town of Bar Harbor, it is truly delightful. 

Halifax, Nova Scotia

Another wonderful port stop. Many people will run off to Peggy's Cove but, a stroll around this handsome city is an adventure to savor. A right turn out of the cruise pier will take you along the Harbor Walk toward the Halifax Maritime Museum with many great exhibits. Nearby here there are several old retired vessels that are free and open to the public to visit. 

The Halifax Public Gardens are really beautiful, perhaps a fifteen minute walk from the cruise pier. Lush with trees, brilliant flowers and several nice kiosks to grab a cold drink or an ice cream. 

Artisan Chocolate

If you're a fan of chocolate you must visit Rousseau's Chocolate Shop, some of the best you'll ever enjoy. 

https://rousseauchocolatier.ca/pages/the-shop-cafe

A five minute-walk from the cruise pier, we go every time we visit, superb chocolates. Husband and wife team, started with a small shop and have since expanded to a lovely cafe. 

Saint John, New Brunswick - 

Coffee Lover - make tracks for Java Moose: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g154960-d973694-Reviews-Java_Moose_Coffee-Saint_John_New_Brunswick.html

Farmers Market

About a ten-minute walk from the cruise pier. Take the time to really explore the food stall here. There are many great hidden treasure like candied smoke salmon, cream puffs (the most amazing ever). We had visited the market several times but, a food tour opened our eyes to these hidden delights. We like food tours, you will too. 

Have a great cruise on Adventure of the Seas and a fun time exploring Canada & New England. 

Jonathan

• Like 3

• Boston is a great walking city, if you are able.  Taxi or Uber/Lyft to City Hall, start of the Freedom Trail.  Follow trail through Fanueil Hall and North End.  You can get a good lobster roll/dinner anywhere.  Do your research and you will be able to do this on the cheap.  Really no need to do a tour.  Fanueil Hall is nice, but very touristy.  Skip the Cheers bar, unless you want to overpay for drinks and mementosl.  North End is the Italian end - lots of great restaurants, all good.  Paul Revere's house and Old North Church.  If able, follow from here to Old Ironsides and Bunker Hill.  All in all, it is maybe a 2+ mile walk.  Doable with stops and, if it is a nice day, very pleasant.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WELDON said:

Been on several Canada/NE cruises.  Food is subjective but for lobster the ports would be Boston, Portland, Bar Harbor, Halifax.  Last year the lobster roll I had in Halifax beat the one in Maine.  

What you are interested in doing?  Take a look at the excursions for your cruise and get an idea of things to see.  If you give some direction, it will be easier to give suggestions.   Where are you leaving from?  Time of year?

In Sept the lobster I had at PEI Preserve Company was  excellent with great friendly service as compared  to one I had In Bar Harbor on an excursion  with poor service.

I was wondering if anyone had info on the whale watching with RC in St John or on our own the Barharborwhales.  My sister really wants to do a whale watching.  THe one in Bar Harbor is about 2 1/2 hours and $63 and the one with RC is $190 and is 5 hours but I am sure that is also transportation time.  

6 hours ago, luvsvacations said:

We were looking at a whale watching.  RC has one, Bay of Fundy and I just saw one in Bar Harbor - do you if one is better than the other.  Bar Harbor is quite a bit cheaper -

When are you going? There may be whale watching tours but the whales may already be gone.