Seabourn and the current issues surrounding the Corona Virus

SLSD

8 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I think the poster was referring to your possible business trips this week while you are ill.  I hope you feel better soon.  

If I was the only one who could make the call on that, I wouldn’t be going.  Urgent care doc thought I’d be fine as long as I was getting enough sleep and taking the steroid they prescribed.

2 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

If I was the only one who could make the call on that, I wouldn’t be going.  Urgent care doc thought I’d be fine as long as I was getting enough sleep and taking the steroid they prescribed.

Did they do a test for Corona to rule it out or deemed it something else? Did they affirm that you weren’t contagious? These days especially people would understand if you had to do meeting by video.

3 hours ago, DWF said:

Just call them up from the phone number on the website.  When I had questions about the new cancelation policy I called them and their travel advisor answered in a couple of minutes and answered my questions.

FYI TO ALL:

Agent was not authorised to answer re reimbursements... only action I was told  by email to

guestrelations @ SB, who still have not replied.... its the perfect feedback loop of the care-less corporation...

BTW I am in Australia, vut am not allowed by SB corporate to deal via Seabourn's own office here. (SB own office, not a handling agent...)

Seems less than likely I will be able to tackle this until I am actually on board...

27 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

With all due respect, if I still have a respiratory infection in 43 days (when our cruise embarks) I’ve got bigger worries than whether or not to take a cruise.

i am cautious, but I think this is a bit ridiculous and extreme!

OK then go on your biz trip and get worse.  If you think it ridiculous.  I used to travel 48 weeks a year but if I were sick no job would make me get on a plane.  But that is me, and you are you. Sorry for trying to care about you.

10 minutes ago, jozi said:

Did they do a test for Corona to rule it out or deemed it something else? Did they affirm that you weren’t contagious? These days especially people would understand if you had to do meeting by video.

I was swabbed for the flu (negative) and had a chest x-ray (negative) and did not meet the testing protocol for coronavirus (and that wasn’t why I was there).

I have asthma and a history of chronic bronchitis. If I didn’t fly every time I felt less than 100%, I wouldn’t have my job.  If I thought (or the doctor thought) I had anything contagious, I wouldn’t be flying.

i appreciate the “go and get worse” wish.  Thanks!  

30 minutes ago, jenidallas said:

I was swabbed for the flu (negative) and had a chest x-ray (negative) and did not meet the testing protocol for coronavirus (and that wasn’t why I was there).

I have asthma and a history of chronic bronchitis. If I didn’t fly every time I felt less than 100%, I wouldn’t have my job.  If I thought (or the doctor thought) I had anything contagious, I wouldn’t be flying.

i appreciate the “go and get worse” wish.  Thanks!  

I did not say that at all, (someone else did) but hope you feel better and was urging self care.

The cdc and State Department issued statements that seniors with medical conditions should not be getting on a long flight nor and especially a cruise ship. The medical statement should have been made a month ago, the State department message sounds more political. 
  In the Trump world, it’s cruiselines that are causing the virus spread, and all would be good if that guy didn’t fly from China to Iran to Italy on his way to California to catch a cruise ship. 
  Trump will ban cruise ships shortly, then close international  airports to foreigners, as that’s what he does to fix  todays problem. 
if we all presumed the Chinese were originally lying about their numbers in the beginning, let’s also presume there are 10000 real cases in America, just people don’t know they have the virus because it was mild or they weren't t tested yet. 
 As we all know by now, if you don’t test for the virus, the numbers will be down, and if you test everyone like in Singapore, you will suffer short term but get out of the problem faster than anyone else. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, westmount said:

The cdc and State Department issued statements that seniors with medical conditions should not be getting on a long flight nor and especially a cruise ship. The medical statement should have been made a month ago, the State department message sounds more political. 

Here are the precise words from the State Department: "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  " Elderly are not mentioned here--it says U. S. citizens and then mentions those with underlying conditions.    

22 minutes ago, SLSD said:

Here are the precise words from the State Department: "U.S. citizens, particularly travelers with underlying health conditions, should not travel by cruise ship.  " Elderly are not mentioned here--it says U. S. citizens and then mentions those with underlying conditions.    

This is further down the page that Mr. Manhattan provided the link to earlier. Specifically mentions “older adults”.  Agree that it’s a pretty subjective term!

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  

26 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

We were supposed to be on this cruise for 30 days but cancelled.

Do you know how full is the ship?

It’s 95% full but how do I say this... It’s mostly the last minute 75-90% discount travel industry crowd...

7 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

It’s 95% full but how do I say this... It’s mostly the last minute 75-90% discount travel industry crowd...

Sorry - do you mean that they filled the ship with people receiving 75-90% discount or that 75-90% of passengers are industry travel crowd?

5 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Sorry - do you mean that they filled the ship with people receiving 75-90% discount or that 75-90% of passengers are industry travel crowd?

The former. Travel professionals always get up to 90% off, but it’s always only a few unsold cabins, very last minute. This time it’s a lot of cabins.

Edited by florisdekort

4 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

The former. Travel professionals always get up to 90% off, but it’s always only a few unsold cabins, very last minute. This time it’s a lot of cabins.

Thank you.

Wishing you an uneventful and fun cruise.

I wish we could have been there.

2 hours ago, westmount said:

...................... Trump will ban cruise ships shortly, then close international  airports to foreigners, as that’s what he does to fix  todays problem.
if we all presumed the Chinese were originally lying about their numbers in the beginning, let’s also presume there are 10000 real cases in America, just people don’t know they have the virus because it was mild or they weren't t tested yet. 
 As we all know by now, if you don’t test for the virus, the numbers will be down, and if you test everyone like in Singapore, you will suffer short term but get out of the problem faster than anyone else. 

I live in Victoria, Australia, where we currently have 19 confirmed cases.  Three of the last 4 cases travelled from the U.S.A.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/victoria-records-new-coronavirus-covid-19-cases/12038048

7 minutes ago, Laylam said:

I live in Victoria, Australia, where we currently have 19 confirmed cases.  Three of the last 4 cases travelled from the U.S.A.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-09/victoria-records-new-coronavirus-covid-19-cases/12038048

Yep and the other one is an Indonesia woman visiting- what were the chances of getting only the 5th case of Coronavirus in all of Indonesia (260m ppl) visiting Australia 😏 yep trust those numbers.

What are the odds that the 3 people visiting the USA came into contact with one of the 200 cases in a country of 330m? 😏yep trust those numbers

• Like 1

I read this morning some researchers did on a pretend virus coming out of Germany six months ago and how a pandemic would play out. 
  Germany became China, but the scorecard is pretty much the same, and it was doubtful that government shutdowns and embargo’s really work.

early testing and preventive personal measures seems the only cure, together with cooperative international action, both economically and medically.

given the nature of the worlds newly crowned right wing government policies , a reminder of why we have government in place. 
  I believe the different messages from cdc and state represent different agendas, one for citizen safety and the other a political set up before a shut down. 
I winder when the President  starts shutting down golf courses?

oh yes, spring rolls and duck being served, sorry, got to go

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

are you a Travel Agent?

you are totally wrong,TA do not always get up to 90% at all I would like to see any website or offer that suggests Seabourn give that sort of discount.

the funny thing is airline staff actually do get a great deal( and why is that when they dont sell cruises to the public?) much cheaper than a TA can buy.

Edited by tinkky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, florisdekort said:

I wish people would leave US domestic politics out of this debate. 

Sadly, the domestic politics of the United States are front and center.  Most of us wish it was not the case.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jozi said:

This is further down the page that Mr. Manhattan provided the link to earlier. Specifically mentions “older adults”.  Agree that it’s a pretty subjective term!

This is a fluid situation.  CDC notes that older adults and travelers with underlying health issues should avoid situations that put them at increased risk for more severe disease.  This entails avoiding crowded places, avoiding non-essential travel such as long plane trips, and especially avoiding embarking on cruise ships.  

You can interpret the advisory to only apply to the elderly if you want, but the part you quote is clearly supporting information in my interpretation.  I prefer to look first at the overall statement. 

Looks like even those tightwads at NCL have opened their policy to a generous FCC till 2022... 

This policy is fair, as is that of the RCI, Celebrity, Azamara... even so.e of the Carnival brands such as Princess, P&O... WHAT IS WITH SB...?

See also below left, Malaysia bans cruise ships...

IMG-20200309-WA0008.thumb.jpg.c91959d88837d96929b44359c991ee3a.jpg

Edited by zimflyer
Update

So where are we now? Ovation is due to embark passengers in Colombo in a few days and then sail to India and finish in Dubai. However India has banned ships and the letter from Celebrity earlier in this thread was at least a good indication that Dubai has banned them too. 

Then Encore's Asia stop is still a month away however they changed the embarkation port from Bali to Darwin, which is still ok, however the disembarkation port was changed from Singapore to Columbo .. and that's not going to work if Sri Lanka continues to refuse ships? After that leg I assume Encore was also due to do the India/Dubai leg. 

So it would seem all those cruises are going to have to change again. Problem is if you can't stop in Dubai, it's a week of sailing to reach anywhere you might possibly be able to get off. 

I think Sojourn is now free and clear as it's heading down towards Australia having stopped but not allowed anyone off in Colombo. 

6 minutes ago, rols said:

So where are we now? Ovation is due to embark passengers in Colombo in a few days and then sail to India and finish in Dubai. However India has banned ships and the letter from Celebrity earlier in this thread was at least a good indication that Dubai has banned them too. 

Then Encore's Asia stop is still a month away however they changed the embarkation port from Bali to Darwin, which is still ok, however the disembarkation port was changed from Singapore to Columbo .. and that's not going to work if Sri Lanka continues to refuse ships? After that leg I assume Encore was also due to do the India/Dubai leg. 

So it would seem all those cruises are going to have to change again. Problem is if you can't stop in Dubai, it's a week of sailing to reach anywhere you might possibly be able to get off. 

I think Sojourn is now free and clear as it's heading down towards Australia having stopped but not allowed anyone off in Colombo. 

Yep and no information. Hard to see too many countries leaving ports open while US is recommending its citizens not to sail on cruise ships.

I am surprised Australia is so open to so many cruise ships, not sure we have the capabilities to deal with a quarantine?

26 minutes ago, rols said:

We are due to leave tomorrow to join the Ovation on the 14th after a two day break in Dubai. Seabourn are unable to tell us or our travel agent anything. So we have packed, the hound is in kennels and we look forward to Flamin-June's" Magical Mystery tour" or not. Thinks to self "are they thinking of doing Australia?" !

• Like 2