Live - Standing Ovation from the Land Down Under - New Zealand, 11 Nights Feb. 2, 2020

twangster

4 hours ago, pink845 said:

Twangster, 

Once again, lovely photos.  I am taking note of all your angles so that I can try and replicate some of those photos during my cruise through the sounds in March.  Often I only focus on the scenery and leave the ship out of the pictures.  But I see including the ship adds dimension to the whole view.  The Sounds are very much like Alaska without all the ice.  Of course so much more lovely greenery inside those Sounds.  

Exactly.  The ship brings relativity and life to the photos.  Otherwise it's hard to understand the scale and positioning. 

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The nerd in me would like to know, where you using a go pro? and where exactly is your camera mounted and what is it mounted to? Love to see a pic of your set up.

iPhone 11 Pro Max with the super wide angle lens.  I have a flexible tripod that lets me secure it to just about anything.

5 hours ago, psygist said:

Do you know if the overland tour from Dunedin to Milford happened?

It was cancelled since we didn't make Dunedin.  

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Was it still in the 50s when you took this?

Biker, who's trying to gauge the hardiness of the Flowriders.

High 50's or right around 60°F.   In the sunshine it was almost t-shirt weather.  Some of the riders in queue had towels wrapped around them to mitigate the chills.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

iPhone 11 Pro Max with the super wide angle lens.  I have a flexible tripod that lets me secure it to just about anything.

Thank you . Love my 11 Pro Max. Is it the UBeesize flexible leg tripod? If so I just got one for Christmas to use on my upcoming cruise. Also curious what interval setting did you use? 1 frame every 30 seconds or a minute?

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Thank you . Love my 11 Pro Max. Is it the UBeesize flexible leg tripod? If so I just got one for Christmas to use on my upcoming cruise. Also curious what interval setting did you use? 1 frame every 30 seconds or a minute?

Default time lapse settings.  Hit the red button and let it do it's thing.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, twangster said:

Cape Horn is intriguing to me.  Norway is booked   Wanted to get in before ships are banned for not meeting zero emissions.  

well the NZ Sounds seem to be taller and more dramatic.  Having been to Norway and only doing Geiranger, I am looking forward to seeing the other fjords in June.  The Geiranger was a lot wider with a lot of small islands.

The of course I hope I too am able to see the NZ Sounds in Nov when I go down.

Here is a photo of the Seven Sisters Falls as we left Geiranger.

P8150372  ahead is famous Seven Sisters Falls.JPG

• Like 2

Just a reminder that tomorrow WED 1:15 EST start watching the web site Cruisin and select Port cams for Australia and select Harbor Bridge (3rd on list for Sydney). you can watch the ship coming in. Sometimes it is a bit early and sometimes a bit late.

I have fun watching Ovation come into Sydney and also Juneau as well.

toodles-  and safe travels home Twangster.

Very glad you got to see the Sounds after all.  You only missed the train tour in Dunedin but you have to go back I guess.  As a side note, I have booked a 12 day Great Barrier Reef cruise of Sydney for Nov 2021.  Seeing Down Under Region might require a minimum of 3 cruises.

• Like 2

Day 10 - Sea Day

And so we begin our trek back to Sydney across the Tasman Sea.

ov_day10-1.jpg

I'll have to take in the sunrise from the top decks tomorrow.

ov_day10-2.jpg

Balcony kind of sea day as I worked on my pictures from the sounds.

ov_day10-3.jpg

ov_day10-4.jpg

Gentle swell that is hard to see in this picture.  Just a perfect sea day.

ov_day10-5.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Just a reminder that tomorrow WED 1:15 EST start watching the web site Cruisin and select Port cams for Australia and select Harbor Bridge (3rd on list for Sydney). you can watch the ship coming in. Sometimes it is a bit early and sometimes a bit late.

I have fun watching Ovation come into Sydney and also Juneau as well.

Very glad you got to see the Sounds after all.  You only missed the train tour in Dunedin but you have to go back I guess.  As a side note, I have booked a 12 day Great Barrier Reef cruise of Sydney for Nov 2021.  Seeing Down Under Region might require a minimum of 3 cruises.

Captain just announced 4am AEDT at the pilot station and 20 minutes later entering the headlands.  Apparently there is some azipod maintenance they have planned so we are arriving a tad early to give them time to do the work.   So you might start watching a bit earlier tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

One quick question.... I note you have posted pictures from the shows. I guess from that, they don't have any issues with cameras in the theatre?

The announcements stated no video recording and no flash photography.  They also discourage use of large tablets as cameras since they block the view of other guests and have bright displays.  My conventional camera doesn't have that and I'm careful to be quick and mindful of fellow guests when taking pictures in shows.  

Liberty of the Seas is the only ship that I've encountered that explicitly states no photography so on Liberty I don't take pictures in the shows.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, twangster said:

The announcements stated no video recording and no flash photography.  They also discourage use of large tablets as cameras since they block the view of other guests and have bright displays.  My conventional camera doesn't have that and I'm careful to be quick and mindful of fellow guests when taking pictures in shows.  

Liberty of the Seas is the only ship that I've encountered that explicitly states no photography so on Liberty I don't take pictures in the shows.

Thanks for that.

I do laugh at people using their flash at shows and concerts anyway 😀

1 hour ago, Balsam12 said:

Thanks for that.

I do laugh at people using their flash at shows and concerts anyway 😀

When I was on the bridge at dawn taking pictures of the ship I saw people on the ship with flashes going off as they took pictures of the bridge 500m away.  I don't think the flash on a smartphone is going to do much at that range... 🤣

• Like 3

One more to echo what gorgeous pictures you take.  Thank you so much for taking us on your journey.

Have not been to NZ for 24 years since our honeymoon (but going back again..finally...next year).  One thing we noticed is how beautifully clean everything is.  No trash anywhere, and looks to be the same from your pictures.  NZ people really care about their environment.  So refreshing!  

• Like 2

On 2/11/2020 at 4:34 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I spent almost 3 weeks in New Zealand and years later a month in Australia and there is A LOT more to see.  You need more than 3 cruises and some time inland to see Down Under! I am thinking of going back for a cruise someday.