Lobster

Honeybe

19 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Think he is referring to the plate in the back.  

yes, I saw that crawdad

7 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

Have you ever tried their chicken fried steak? 

in the Steakhouse? 

5 hours ago, coevan said:

yes, I saw that crawdad

in the Steakhouse? 

No, in the MDR. It's one of those items that is "carnival's version of".  I was ordering it once and the waiter said " it's not what you expect." Lol

I didn't order it but saw it once on the buffet. He was right. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Frankly haven't saw the option to order Lobster in the main dining room in years. Frankly don't miss it. I'm a lobster, crab and anything related to seafood snob. I never really like the lobster on the ships. I always thought they were dry. 

But as for ordering them lately, I haven't seen Lobster on the menu unless it's a up charge. 

In a way I can see that, for a while I think a lot of people wasted the lobster. Seen it with one of our family members..... Order two Lobsters on an formal and didn't eat half the second one.... To get real good Lobster you can't mass product it. 

Edited by Kudos2Fly

Yes they have lobster for sure on 7 day cruises.  It was on the first elegant night.  Filet Mignon on the 2nd elegant night.  We did a B2B on the Panorama.  Also the same last year when we sailed the Splendor.

Plus of course they almost always have it on the upsale section of the menu in the MDR. 

10 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

Frankly haven't saw the option to order Lobster in the main dining room in years. Frankly don't miss it. I'm a lobster, crab and anything related to seafood snob. I never really like the lobster on the ships. I always thought they were dry. 

But as for ordering them lately, I haven't seen Lobster on the menu unless it's a up charge. 

In a way I can see that, for a while I think a lot of people wasted the lobster. Seen it with one of our family members..... Order two Lobsters on an formal and didn't eat half the second one.... To get real good Lobster you can't mass product it. 

Actually you get lobster in cruises 6 days and longer on first elegant nights, never been removed from these cruises.  

10 hours ago, Kudos2Fly said:

I have seen lobster on the first elegant night on every cruise I have taken up to and including last year.  It is free that night (but only a tail) and available for an up charge the other evenings. You never get a whole lobster in the MDR and if people can't eat 2 lobster tails then they are not trying. 🙂

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Actually you get lobster in cruises 6 days and longer on first elegant nights, never been removed from these cruises.  

Interesting in April we were on a 7 day cruise and didn't see that option in the Main Dining room on Miracle

35 minutes ago, Bookbug53 said:

I have seen lobster on the first elegant night on every cruise I have taken up to and including last year.  It is free that night (but only a tail) and available for an up charge the other evenings. You never get a whole lobster in the MDR and if people can't eat 2 lobster tails then they are not trying. 🙂

Well two people have said this... I guess I will have to look closer.

LOL I can eat two lobster tails, but not with all the other food your get. We're not big eaters. 

The lobster tails shown in the pictures on this thread could easily be Maine lobster tail. The minimum size for Maine lobster is a body shell of 3.25 inches. Those tails could come from something that size.

It really is a shame you can't get the whole lobster when ordering.

On 2/9/2020 at 6:53 AM, Lottacruises said:

Have you ever tried their chicken fried steak? 

I haven't, but not generally a fan of traditional chicken fried steak.  What was different about Carnival's?

26 minutes ago, declansdad said:

The lobster tails shown in the pictures on this thread could easily be Maine lobster tail. The minimum size for Maine lobster is a body shell of 3.25 inches. Those tails could come from something that size.

I would be surprised if they actually have live lobsters in tanks.  It makes more sense that they have a large supply of frozen tails, hence no whole lobster.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I haven't, but not generally a fan of traditional chicken fried steak.  What was different about Carnival's?

I would be surprised if they actually have live lobsters in tanks.  It makes more sense that they have a large supply of frozen tails, hence no whole lobster.

You can freeze an entire lobster.

• Thanks 1

Am I the only weirdo who liked the lobster in the MDR better than the one in the steakhouse? I don’t care about the size difference because I can order multiples in the MDR. My  MDR lobster tail was just a better texture and flavor. The steakhouse tail wasn’t bad but it didn’t make me feel like it was worth paying for in comparison to the free formal night lobster. It could have been an off night for the steakhouse or just an on night for the MDR but it did convince me not to bother ordering the pay lobster.

2 hours ago, declansdad said:

Agree, but it would be a mess

7 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

It looked like a thin sliced steak that had been fried. Not coated with anything either. By fried I mean cooked and then alot of grease poured over it.  I'm not judging, it just wasn't for me.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Then you missed it.  Trust me, first elegant  nite, every cruise over 6 days.  

I don’t know if this was the case for the previous poster, but the last time we did a 7 day cruise on Miracle they served lobster on the second elegant night, not the first one. Only cruise I recall it not being on the first elegant night.  

50 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t know if this was the case for the previous poster, but the last time we did a 7 day cruise on Miracle they served lobster on the second elegant night, not the first one. Only cruise I recall it not being on the first elegant night.  

Never seen it but who knows.  The emphasis of the post is that it IS served on all 6 day and longer cruises. 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:53 PM, capecruzer said:

Is it Maine lobster or warm water lobster?

If they are calling it "Maine" then it has to be the real McCoy. There are regulations regarding the advertising of "Maine" lobsters. Carnival just needs to follow them. 🙂

I have seen it as just 'lobster" and been served the spiny variety. Not even close in taste.

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

I've only seen tails in my local freezers, I didn't realize you could freeze the whole.

Jimbo is right there would likely be a mess, and I suspect a lot of waste.

Stores do both around here.

It sure would be a mess. The first time my inlaws cruised they were served the whole lobster and the wait staff said they would be back shortly to help everyone. A table full of Maritimers needed no help in eating lobster and had it taken care of by the time the wait staff came back to help. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bookbug53 said:

If they are calling it "Maine" then it has to be the real McCoy. There are regulations regarding the advertising of "Maine" lobsters. Carnival just needs to follow them. 🙂

I have seen it as just 'lobster" and been served the spiny variety. Not even close in taste.

Show me some evidence they are not following