Princess First Timer & Pricing Comparison

Cannavaro

So I stumbled upon this site while researching my latest cruise on the Royal Princess for Feb 22 to the Mexican Riviera so this is a first for me on cruise critic and on a Princess cruise. First and foremost, thank you all for your tips/reviews and dedication to the cruising community. A little background, I am luckily enough to have lived in Miami for most of my life so have some experience with cruises. I have been on Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival, and Celebrity. I now live in LA and still have a home in Miami so I have been traveling back and forth quite often and now with some free time, I've started researching cruises to take advantage of the home ports I live in. I am flexible with my work so I have begun shopping around in slow seasons to take advantage of the best pricing options. I personally would rather take more cruises than less so I would definitely like to take advantage of my hard earned cash while finding the best deals/value out there in the market. My wife and I have no kids and we are in our mid to late 30's so we can appreciate and understand the many different styles of cruises being offered these days.

So I have a couple questions regarding cruises and subsequently Royal/Princess which would love all your input on.

- Why does no one talk about price for any of their reviews? Is it illegal? I scoured everywhere on the net/boards/other sites and couldn't really come to determine what is a great deal and what is normal fare. Historically, I understand the pricing differences due to the seasons but no one talks about specific pricing ever. How can we tell if a trip is a good value if we don't ever discuss price? I understand a cruise is a luxury good so it's taboo to discuss what is paid but I think it will only benefit the end consumer if we discuss it. I've seen comments that people paid way too much or got a good deal but no numbers to ever back them up. For example, my two choices of cruises for my budget/style was the Royal Princess for 7 days for $514 pp on balcony or $949 pp for NCL Joy on balcony for the same itinerary. After port fees/taxes it was $1250 for Royal Princess or $2120 for NCL Joy for about a difference of $800-$900 dollars. The only difference was NCL was offering the drink package, $50 obc per port, and wifi, and 3 specialty restaurants for the trip. Considering the $70 per day cost for the drink package on Royal Princess, the $29 upcharge for restaurants, and obc the 'value' comes pretty close to each other. So is the Royal Princess price a normal, good, or great deal? Is the NCL Joy  price normal, good, or great deal as well? I am considering purchasing the same cruise for the NCL Joy or another ship in March 2020 or around same time next year so would love to know. I am also shopping for a RCI Oasis/Allure in March 2020 or same time next year for about $749-$850 a balcony for 7 day Eastern Caribbean with no additional upgrades included.

That leads me into my next issue/question. I understand Princess is a 'traditional' cruising ship with a focus on service and MDR but with the competition of the newer resort style ships with NCL or RCI with so many upgraded amenities, specialty restaurants, entertainment options at what price point does that reflect on which cruise to choose.  I understand this will fall into demographics and preferences but I was hoping that experience and an open mind would be able to determine such a price point for each respective cruise line style and price. I ultimately believe I chose the Royal Princess because it was newer for Princess with modern amenities while still being a good value.  I definitely want to get this debate started as I plan on cruising at least 2-3 times a year moving forward and begin to start doing my part to contribute to this community. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic! Happy to have more in the party.

1 hour ago, Cannavaro said:

Why does no one talk about price for any of their reviews? Is it illegal?

I definitely don't think it's illegal and some people do disclose this information, and some cruise YouTubers do disclose it too, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the taboo part. Personally, I think the price also often varies very widely, with many variables, such as if someone used a travel agent or not, when they booked, if they got upgraded, if they booked early and did/didn't refare, etc. Prices just aren't super consistent, especially when cruise prices flux with the economy. Also, Cruise Critic forbids anyone from discussing specific travel agencies/travel agent names, so that might also discourage the discussion of price. 

From my perspective, to be honest, I think the Royal deal for $514pp for a balcony is great, but remember that many, many people complain that the balcony decks themselves are not good on Royal-class ships (and I'm sure you've seen the pictures from your research: if balcony size doesn't really matter to you, consider that only "deluxe balconies" have a couch -- if none of that phases you, then you should be good to go). I don't think I've been able to find this kind of deal through the website, at least, so what are your ways? For me, the value proposition comes down to the experience you're wanting. Because Royal and Joy's pricing comes out almost equal once you factored in the extras you wanted, it's more about what you're looking for in a cruise. NCL is likely to get your adrenaline pumping more with the array of stuff that's offered, while Royal carries the reputation of being more refined or relaxed, which can be true or not, depending on how you cruise. I personally never found time to relax on Royal as I was always hopping from one event to the next and seeking out whatever there was to see or do, and not prioritizing drinks or specialty dining as those don't matter as much to me. But most people do relax and do prioritize the dining options and I haven't heard much bad about it, necessarily. You're right that the RCI of the Seas and NCL Breakaways have a lot more options, but, I think because you have the budget set for yourself, you would do a good service to try out both whenever you can and then make more informed decisions in the future regarding cruising with the experience you prefer. 

Here's something I kind of thought of as well: if you're eager to explore Princess and discover if it's for you, I do recommend you try and experience what you think they do best -- "service and MDR" -- these two things don't necessarily define the Princess product for everyone, but an example of experiencing this is traditional dining so that you can build a good rapport with your waiters throughout the week without needing to hassle with anytime dining and chancing things. Another example is the Sanctuary (upcharge), where you can rest in the front of the ship and get pampered with snacks/drinks, etc. Princess usually has the entertainment spotlight on their production shows, which I think hinge on a bit more "attempts at upper-class entertainment" than "attempts at Broadway" (i.e. opera-style performances in "Encore" vs. Jersey Boys). I do think some of the cruise directors/cruise staff on Princess are really easy to build a good rapport with as well, so if you like that kind of stuff, you can give that a go too but YMMV. TLDR I love the crew so I hope you will too! After all of this, you can compare this, for example, with NCL's freestyle dining choices, Observation Lounge, and Broadway shows, and decide what matches your preferences more! Hope this helps a little! 

Edited by snoozecrooze

I have cruised a lot and only cruise with Princess, and figure anytime I can get a balcony cabin for $200 or less per day per person, it's a good deal.

What, if any promo is offered only has value to me if it's something I know I will utilize and get full value of. For instance, the increased fare when the alcoholic beverage package is "included" for so-called free does not interest me because I would never drink enough of those beverages to get the value of the increase in the fare.

Free wifi promos are of no value to me because I get complimentary free wifi minutes because of my status with the Princess loyalty program.

However, if the promo offers $200 per person savings on airfare booked using EZAir to/from the cruise, I know will definitely get full value.

15 hours ago, snoozecrooze said:

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic! Happy to have more in the party.

I definitely don't think it's illegal and some people do disclose this information, and some cruise YouTubers do disclose it too, but I think you hit the nail on the head with the taboo part. Personally, I think the price also often varies very widely, with many variables, such as if someone used a travel agent or not, when they booked, if they got upgraded, if they booked early and did/didn't refare, etc. Prices just aren't super consistent, especially when cruise prices flux with the economy. Also, Cruise Critic forbids anyone from discussing specific travel agencies/travel agent names, so that might also discourage the discussion of price. 

Makes sense. With the volatility of the pricing, I believe more disclosure on actual pricing would do wonders for the end consumer. I've noticed there seems to be optimal booking windows for price which would be a year plus out or just under 2-8 weeks before the cruise departs. I have the flexibility and location to be able to do last minute cruises, so the pricing based on the departure date really intrigues me. 

From my perspective, to be honest, I think the Royal deal for $514pp for a balcony is great, but remember that many, many people complain that the balcony decks themselves are not good on Royal-class ships (and I'm sure you've seen the pictures from your research: if balcony size doesn't really matter to you, consider that only "deluxe balconies" have a couch -- if none of that phases you, then you should be good to go). I don't think I've been able to find this kind of deal through the website, at least, so what are your ways?

I was randomly looking for last minute trips for vacation and saw the princess rate on a google ad for an interior under $500. First time ever doing the baja cruise and on Princess so for the slight price difference, I started hunting balcony options. The deluxe balcony was actually priced at $533 but I went with the $514 pp(I know, I know) but ultimately got lucky as I got upgraded to a deluxe balcony a week later. I checked a bunch of travel agencies online but subsequently went with Princess direct - they were slightly cheaper than the rest of the TA's. Most of the other online TA's that were close offered $50 obc but didn't feel like it was worth the trade off vs buying direct.

For me, the value proposition comes down to the experience you're wanting. Because Royal and Joy's pricing comes out almost equal once you factored in the extras you wanted, it's more about what you're looking for in a cruise. NCL is likely to get your adrenaline pumping more with the array of stuff that's offered, while Royal carries the reputation of being more refined or relaxed, which can be true or not, depending on how you cruise. I personally never found time to relax on Royal as I was always hopping from one event to the next and seeking out whatever there was to see or do, and not prioritizing drinks or specialty dining as those don't matter as much to me. But most people do relax and do prioritize the dining options and I haven't heard much bad about it, necessarily. You're right that the RCI of the Seas and NCL Breakaways have a lot more options, but, I think because you have the budget set for yourself, you would do a good service to try out both whenever you can and then make more informed decisions in the future regarding cruising with the experience you prefer. 

Glad to hear you never found time to relax on the Royal! I was afraid of this due to the traditional cruising style that it wouldn't be as exciting. I read your recent cruise on the 18th(I actually had the choice between this cruise and the one on Feb 22) so really excited to see you had a great time. 

Here's something I kind of thought of as well: if you're eager to explore Princess and discover if it's for you, I do recommend you try and experience what you think they do best -- "service and MDR" -- these two things don't necessarily define the Princess product for everyone, but an example of experiencing this is traditional dining so that you can build a good rapport with your waiters throughout the week without needing to hassle with anytime dining and chancing things. Another example is the Sanctuary (upcharge), where you can rest in the front of the ship and get pampered with snacks/drinks, etc. Princess usually has the entertainment spotlight on their production shows, which I think hinge on a bit more "attempts at upper-class entertainment" than "attempts at Broadway" (i.e. opera-style performances in "Encore" vs. Jersey Boys). I do think some of the cruise directors/cruise staff on Princess are really easy to build a good rapport with as well, so if you like that kind of stuff, you can give that a go too but YMMV. TLDR I love the crew so I hope you will too! After all of this, you can compare this, for example, with NCL's freestyle dining choices, Observation Lounge, and Broadway shows, and decide what matches your preferences more! Hope this helps a little! 

Also very good points. I usually only do specialty restaurants so I'm excited to save some money and just see how the MDR dining is for Princess. I am going for the later 7:00 PM seating and noticed your Alegro dining room comment. We were definitely planning on reserving atleast a day in the Spa and doing a half day in a cabana for the Sanctuary as those looked ideal. Really excited to see the difference in the production value on Princess as well for the shows; I was a concerned that they didn't exactly have the big names like Footloose and the other Broadway style shows you mentioned.

Thanks again for the input!

We aren't allowed to mention TAs by name on Cruise Critic but some (many?) of us have TAs that routinely give us 7 - 10% and even higher discounts on the Princess price.  They just aren't allowed to publicize them.  If you do take a Princess cruise, join your roll call (actually do that for whichever cruise line you chose) at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/20-roll-calls/.

Then sign up on the roll call for the Meet and Greet (Princess terminology) or Meet and Mingle (terminology used by Cruise Critic and lots of other lines).  You will meet your fellow cruisers and it is a great place to get TA recommendations.

16 hours ago, flamomo said:

I have cruised a lot and only cruise with Princess, and figure anytime I can get a balcony cabin for $200 or less per day per person, it's a good deal.

What, if any promo is offered only has value to me if it's something I know I will utilize and get full value of. For instance, the increased fare when the alcoholic beverage package is "included" for so-called free does not interest me because I would never drink enough of those beverages to get the value of the increase in the fare.

Free wifi promos are of no value to me because I get complimentary free wifi minutes because of my status with the Princess loyalty program.

However, if the promo offers $200 per person savings on airfare booked using EZAir to/from the cruise, I know will definitely get full value.

Great to know how much you'd be willing to pay for this cruise and that only excites me more! The 'best sale ever' went live two days after I booked and prices were almost double what I paid, so I completely understand that some can lose value on those added perks. I have personally tried to get my full value of a beverage package on a 7 day cruise and it is exhausting(mind you I tried this in my 20's for a bachelor party). A decade and some change later, I will have to agree with you on passing on the value of the beverage package. Plus I really like the Princess two bottle allowance and minimal corkage fee with regards to wine. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, capriccio said:

We aren't allowed to mention TAs by name on Cruise Critic but some (many?) of us have TAs that routinely give us 7 - 10% and even higher discounts on the Princess price.  They just aren't allowed to publicize them.  If you do take a Princess cruise, join your roll call (actually do that for whichever cruise line you chose) at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/20-roll-calls/.

Then sign up on the roll call for the Meet and Greet (Princess terminology) or Meet and Mingle (terminology used by Cruise Critic and lots of other lines).  You will meet your fellow cruisers and it is a great place to get TA recommendations.

Wow I thought I got a great deal but 10% is 10%. As you can probably tell, I love a good deal 🙂

Also thank you for letting me know about the roll call thread. I just signed up and super excited to meet another group of cruisers to pick their brains and be merry with!!

54 minutes ago, Cannavaro said:

Thanks again for the input!

I'm so happy I could help, even if just a little! I didn't get to finish my Live review at all and intend on getting back to it, but felt the coronavirus thing would make it in poor taste to keep on it. I'll try and finish the many posts I have yet to make, but obviously it's not live anymore. Also, there were good points mentioned above about the roll call and you can also try and find your sailing on the "face" site and see if there's some chatter going on there. 

If you choose Traditional Dining, you'll get a small index card telling you your table and what time you're getting (because we all know what we choose online doesn't always translate into what actually happens). Like other cruise lines, there's a dining room inquiry desk and this is at Sabatini's on deck 5 midship from 12-2:30 on embarkation day. Here, make sure you get acquainted with your table and the dining room if the table location makes a difference for you. I had a wonderful time in Allegro and it's all traditional dining, but Concerto is early traditional seating and then anytime after that, so it felt a little more rushed and not as...."refined"? (for a lack of a better word; I still loved our waiters lol) -- YMMV.

Yeah, I definitely want to elaborate more on Princess' entertainment. A vast majority of the cruisers on Royal for this itinerary are definitely a lot more independent (meaning their schedules don't really revolve around reservations a la NCL/RCI) and you'll really find the most crowds in the buffet, by the pool, and just scattered around where there's seating around the ship throughout the day. A lot of people don't really do all the activities or hit up all the spots, with the exception of the production shows. So what that means is your schedule is all in your hands, but you have a lot of opportunity to participate in things, and there you'll find other like-minded cruisers who also do the things -- things like game shows, enrichment lectures, deck parties, dance classes, etc. I also implore you to try out for the Yes/No game show and let me know how it goes if you get chosen lol I can't get enough of it sometimes. I still find cruising a spectacle in and of itself so I've always enjoyed attending as much as I can and have never felt bored, despite having just done the same itinerary 4x in a row. 

Instead of Footloose on Joy, Royal has "Encore," "The Secret Silk," and "Colors of the World" -- as a whole, I think the shows are overall good, but shows are highly subjective. If you don't like sitting there just watching mostly singing (dancing varies by scene; only one of the shows has a story-line), it might turn you off, but I do encourage you to sit through at least more than half (shows are about 45 minutes), since you'll get a better feel for the show and what Princess' shows can be like and also some my favorite parts tend to happen later on. Live music, for a large part, is the foundation of the activity besides what the cruise director's team puts on -- the Piazza always has a party band (Fee Fee & the Sentiments), a mariachi band (Diamond Trio), violin duo (Extravaganza Duo), or a jazz-ish band (Sunset Quartet), and a lot of people love to dance -- where there's a dance floor, people will always be there. Additionally, Crooners Bar has the piano player (if Oliver Holland is still on for your cruise, he's great) and Wheelhouse Bar is the lounge-y music venue. So there really is a lot of room to pack your schedule or take it easy, and sometimes do both. Again, it really depends on how you cruise but I really think Princess has good stuff to offer. Let me know how it goes and I can't wait for you to have fun! 

Just to add one more piece of advice to the wonderful comments already made:  one of our favorite places (we've spent more than 50 days on her) for peace and quiet on the Royal Princess is the Outrigger Bar/Horizon Terrace located all the way aft through the buffet on Lido deck.  Many people never find it.  It is covered for shade with lots of tables and chairs and even some wicker type couches and chairs with a full bar, coffee station, etc. and only steps to the buffet for picking up munchies.  We especially enjoyed sail aways while sipping on cocktails and sharing a plate of appetizers!

Edited by capriccio

Of the brands you mention previously sailing, I think you'll find similarities to X, both demographically and onboard vibe.  NCL, RCL and CCL are much more family/kid oriented with a more exuberant/"get this party started" vibe.  Princess and X are much more chilled/serene with far fewer announcements and activities.  Regarding production shows, I find Princess shows mostly weak/lacking compared to NCL and RCL.  And the theater is smaller and fills up quick.  I hope you report your comparison here.

And BTW, it sounds like you got a smokin' deal... the other "shoulder season" would be pre-Christmas.

Edited by fishin' musician

Cannavaro

I agree that most do not put in pricing when talking about a cruise or giving a review.  We have been on four Princess cruises.  Our first was a retirement cruise for my husband, out of LA 28 nights Hawaii/South Pacific.  I booked as an inside, and towards the end paid to move to a balcony, it was expensive - $4200+ per person, along with all the extras, port taxes, gratuities, insurance.  then our next cruise was a casino free cabin cruise and then next was a discount cruise with the casino, then a free cabin cruise. 

Since we gamble in the casino, we get offers for 35% off inside cabin, 25% off oceanview and I believe 20% off balcony.  We are limited with going out of LA, but in May we are doing a 14-day Alaska round trip.  We booked this with a casino offer and we booked an inside, but got a free upgrade to oceanview. - we also have free gratuities, $400 OBC and $425 casino credit.  No beverage package - but we are not alcohol drinkers.   cabin $1361, insurance $108, port tax $255 - total $1724 per person - OW

For anyone else not receiving casino pricing, pricing would be higher.  I have tried twice to reprice at a lower price, but my price is would go up.

The problem with someone giving you the price of their cabin, there are too many categories in each type of cabin (location) and what perks they receive with their price.

Before using Princess, we had only gone on Celebrity, but they have only one cruise out of LA - Sept 2021 (which we are booked on), Princess is cheaper, but we like Celebrity

It really depends on your budget.

If you want to sail more, then the cheapest price is your best bet. I sailed 3x over the last 12 months. I try to get the cheapest cruise possible. 

If you are thinking about 1 cruise per 1-3 years, then splurging would be ok. NCL has the Haven. It's a cruise ship within the cruise ship. I have been in the Haven but it is just not for me.

To ea their own. 

Since you live in L.A. and are budget-minded, why don't you sign up for Princess' "Drop & Go" specials? They're usually for cruises 30 to 60 days out, which might make last-minute air travel expensive for some people but you don't have to worry about that. I've gotten those deals three times out of L.A., which is only a one-hour, usually inexpensive flight from Tucson.

23 hours ago, Cannavaro said:

I checked a bunch of travel agencies online but subsequently went with Princess direct - they were slightly cheaper than the rest of the TA's.

If any TA is asking for more than Princess, then do not ever use that TA. There is no reason a decent TA could not at least match the price that you get directly with Princess.

I've noticed there seems to be optimal booking windows for price which would be a year plus out or just under 2-8 weeks before the cruise departs.

In general, the lowest pricing is for cruises in September (after summer vacations are over), after Thanksgiving but before Xmas, and in January.  The optimal time to book cruise for those periods could be what Cannavaro indicated.

SO many variables!   

You really have to get out the calculator and do the math.  

A cruise on one line with a small cabin/balcony and no perks will cost less than a bigger cabin/balcony with “included” additional packages on another line.  

Princess is now pricing like some other lines, where you can book either bare-bones or a package promo. (Best SaleEver) at an additional cost  Sometimes the different options do not seem apparent.  You might want to ask.  

Fares on most lines are pretty fixed.  The right “preferred” agency can offer additional perks or a so-called reduced fare. (Which is actually a kickback)

Sometimes some agencies can offer more than others. 

So, you can see that with the higher cabin category and the addition of perks and packages, the cruises can often be closer in price.

There really are are too many variables to be able to begin to decipher or compare who paid how much for what!!!  So it really isn’t usually brought up that specifically. 

Edited by Wishing on a star

Two things:

1) you said late 30’s Dinks and you want to cruise Princess?  😀

2) Start the excel (or like) sheet of cruise prices, dates and amenities. Over time you can glean some additional information about purchase strategies. Also, remember on Princess, most times, you can re-fare your cruise, if the fare drops. 

• Thanks 1

The key might be the last two letters in that acronym!

To the OP.   I think on the newer Princess Ships you would be fine.

Especially on a warm weather cruise.

A bit more vibe!

Totally opposite, for example, than the Coral Princess to Alaska.

Just pay attention to whether there are features and activities on the other lines that you will miss.

With the cutbacks in food and dining last year, and the limited options when compared to some of the other bigger ships on other lines,  that might be a factor.  So look at options and menus.

I do know that the huge buffet on the Regal. (sister to the Royal) is known to be really great.

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 2/10/2020 at 4:00 AM, Cannavaro said:

So I stumbled upon this site while researching my latest cruise on the Royal Princess for Feb 22 to the Mexican Riviera so this is a first for me on cruise critic and on a Princess cruise. First and foremost, thank you all for your tips/reviews and dedication to the cruising community. A little background, I am luckily enough to have lived in Miami for most of my life so have some experience with cruises. I have been on Royal Caribbean, NCL, Carnival, and Celebrity. I now live in LA and still have a home in Miami so I have been traveling back and forth quite often and now with some free time, I've started researching cruises to take advantage of the home ports I live in. I am flexible with my work so I have begun shopping around in slow seasons to take advantage of the best pricing options. I personally would rather take more cruises than less so I would definitely like to take advantage of my hard earned cash while finding the best deals/value out there in the market. My wife and I have no kids and we are in our mid to late 30's so we can appreciate and understand the many different styles of cruises being offered these days.

So I have a couple questions regarding cruises and subsequently Royal/Princess which would love all your input on.

- Why does no one talk about price for any of their reviews? Is it illegal? I scoured everywhere on the net/boards/other sites and couldn't really come to determine what is a great deal and what is normal fare. Historically, I understand the pricing differences due to the seasons but no one talks about specific pricing ever. How can we tell if a trip is a good value if we don't ever discuss price? I understand a cruise is a luxury good so it's taboo to discuss what is paid but I think it will only benefit the end consumer if we discuss it. I've seen comments that people paid way too much or got a good deal but no numbers to ever back them up. For example, my two choices of cruises for my budget/style was the Royal Princess for 7 days for $514 pp on balcony or $949 pp for NCL Joy on balcony for the same itinerary. After port fees/taxes it was $1250 for Royal Princess or $2120 for NCL Joy for about a difference of $800-$900 dollars. The only difference was NCL was offering the drink package, $50 obc per port, and wifi, and 3 specialty restaurants for the trip. Considering the $70 per day cost for the drink package on Royal Princess, the $29 upcharge for restaurants, and obc the 'value' comes pretty close to each other. So is the Royal Princess price a normal, good, or great deal? Is the NCL Joy  price normal, good, or great deal as well? I am considering purchasing the same cruise for the NCL Joy or another ship in March 2020 or around same time next year so would love to know. I am also shopping for a RCI Oasis/Allure in March 2020 or same time next year for about $749-$850 a balcony for 7 day Eastern Caribbean with no additional upgrades included.

That leads me into my next issue/question. I understand Princess is a 'traditional' cruising ship with a focus on service and MDR but with the competition of the newer resort style ships with NCL or RCI with so many upgraded amenities, specialty restaurants, entertainment options at what price point does that reflect on which cruise to choose.  I understand this will fall into demographics and preferences but I was hoping that experience and an open mind would be able to determine such a price point for each respective cruise line style and price. I ultimately believe I chose the Royal Princess because it was newer for Princess with modern amenities while still being a good value.  I definitely want to get this debate started as I plan on cruising at least 2-3 times a year moving forward and begin to start doing my part to contribute to this community. Thank you!

The price one person pays may not include the perks or no perks that another pays. So many different prices for so many different cabins. If your cruise is basic and you receive no perks. You price will be very low. If, lets say you get, pre paid gratuities, 2 drink packages, excursion discount, free specialty restaurants, 2 free bottles of wine. You are not getting these for FREE. Your cruise cost will go way up. But much lower than if you paid for them yourself. In many cases you can opt out of all the added perks and get the lowest price for a cruise. However, some cruises are much more expensive for where they are going and what time of the year. So many variables.

We have also discovered that there is a lot of math and calculations

involved. We use a TA that is very generous in OBC. Each time a new

promotion comes out, I get out my own version of an "Excel" sheet and get

the calculator going

For example, it is NOT better for us to change to the Best Ever Sale for our

British Isles cruise in 2020. We currently have a huge amount of OBC, that

we would not come out ahead.  I think it was the Cyber Sale (not sure) in which

we also get included gratuities and also WiFi because we are Platinum. We are

not huge drinkers, so after the math, we have not switched. 

Also know that EZ Air so far for us, has been great to use.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:57 PM, snoozecrooze said:

I'm so happy I could help, even if just a little! I didn't get to finish my Live review at all and intend on getting back to it, but felt the coronavirus thing would make it in poor taste to keep on it. I'll try and finish the many posts I have yet to make, but obviously it's not live anymore. Also, there were good points mentioned above about the roll call and you can also try and find your sailing on the "face" site and see if there's some chatter going on there. 

If you choose Traditional Dining, you'll get a small index card telling you your table and what time you're getting (because we all know what we choose online doesn't always translate into what actually happens). Like other cruise lines, there's a dining room inquiry desk and this is at Sabatini's on deck 5 midship from 12-2:30 on embarkation day. Here, make sure you get acquainted with your table and the dining room if the table location makes a difference for you. I had a wonderful time in Allegro and it's all traditional dining, but Concerto is early traditional seating and then anytime after that, so it felt a little more rushed and not as...."refined"? (for a lack of a better word; I still loved our waiters lol) -- YMMV.

Yeah, I definitely want to elaborate more on Princess' entertainment. A vast majority of the cruisers on Royal for this itinerary are definitely a lot more independent (meaning their schedules don't really revolve around reservations a la NCL/RCI) and you'll really find the most crowds in the buffet, by the pool, and just scattered around where there's seating around the ship throughout the day. A lot of people don't really do all the activities or hit up all the spots, with the exception of the production shows. So what that means is your schedule is all in your hands, but you have a lot of opportunity to participate in things, and there you'll find other like-minded cruisers who also do the things -- things like game shows, enrichment lectures, deck parties, dance classes, etc. I also implore you to try out for the Yes/No game show and let me know how it goes if you get chosen lol I can't get enough of it sometimes. I still find cruising a spectacle in and of itself so I've always enjoyed attending as much as I can and have never felt bored, despite having just done the same itinerary 4x in a row. 

Instead of Footloose on Joy, Royal has "Encore," "The Secret Silk," and "Colors of the World" -- as a whole, I think the shows are overall good, but shows are highly subjective. If you don't like sitting there just watching mostly singing (dancing varies by scene; only one of the shows has a story-line), it might turn you off, but I do encourage you to sit through at least more than half (shows are about 45 minutes), since you'll get a better feel for the show and what Princess' shows can be like and also some my favorite parts tend to happen later on. Live music, for a large part, is the foundation of the activity besides what the cruise director's team puts on -- the Piazza always has a party band (Fee Fee & the Sentiments), a mariachi band (Diamond Trio), violin duo (Extravaganza Duo), or a jazz-ish band (Sunset Quartet), and a lot of people love to dance -- where there's a dance floor, people will always be there. Additionally, Crooners Bar has the piano player (if Oliver Holland is still on for your cruise, he's great) and Wheelhouse Bar is the lounge-y music venue. So there really is a lot of room to pack your schedule or take it easy, and sometimes do both. Again, it really depends on how you cruise but I really think Princess has good stuff to offer. Let me know how it goes and I can't wait for you to have fun! 

Sorry it's taken so long to reply. Looking forward to do all of these things! I just found out that I'll have to be checking emails for work next week on the cruise so I just got the wifi package. Not sure if I'll do live updates but I will definitely take pics and return with my reviews when I get back!

On 2/11/2020 at 5:29 AM, capriccio said:

Just to add one more piece of advice to the wonderful comments already made:  one of our favorite places (we've spent more than 50 days on her) for peace and quiet on the Royal Princess is the Outrigger Bar/Horizon Terrace located all the way aft through the buffet on Lido deck.  Many people never find it.  It is covered for shade with lots of tables and chairs and even some wicker type couches and chairs with a full bar, coffee station, etc. and only steps to the buffet for picking up munchies.  We especially enjoyed sail aways while sipping on cocktails and sharing a plate of appetizers!

The wife and I saw the outrigger bar on a youtube video and we were thinking about checking that out for the sail away from LAX! Great idea we can have apps and cocktails on the way out!!

On 2/11/2020 at 6:43 AM, fishin' musician said:

Of the brands you mention previously sailing, I think you'll find similarities to X, both demographically and onboard vibe.  NCL, RCL and CCL are much more family/kid oriented with a more exuberant/"get this party started" vibe.  Princess and X are much more chilled/serene with far fewer announcements and activities.  Regarding production shows, I find Princess shows mostly weak/lacking compared to NCL and RCL.  And the theater is smaller and fills up quick.  I hope you report your comparison here.

And BTW, it sounds like you got a smokin' deal... the other "shoulder season" would be pre-Christmas.

I really enjoyed my time on the Celebrity solstice and I was about 10~ years younger. I was originally scared of the Princess demographic, but having sailed Celebrity which was a similar demographic I decided to go for it. Celebrity luxury and service standard is timeless so I'm hoping Princess is similar in that regards. Add the fact that I got a smokin deal as you say, I'm even more excited now. 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:29 AM, roxievegas said:

Cannavaro

I agree that most do not put in pricing when talking about a cruise or giving a review.  We have been on four Princess cruises.  Our first was a retirement cruise for my husband, out of LA 28 nights Hawaii/South Pacific.  I booked as an inside, and towards the end paid to move to a balcony, it was expensive - $4200+ per person, along with all the extras, port taxes, gratuities, insurance.  then our next cruise was a casino free cabin cruise and then next was a discount cruise with the casino, then a free cabin cruise. 

Since we gamble in the casino, we get offers for 35% off inside cabin, 25% off oceanview and I believe 20% off balcony.  We are limited with going out of LA, but in May we are doing a 14-day Alaska round trip.  We booked this with a casino offer and we booked an inside, but got a free upgrade to oceanview. - we also have free gratuities, $400 OBC and $425 casino credit.  No beverage package - but we are not alcohol drinkers.   cabin $1361, insurance $108, port tax $255 - total $1724 per person - OW

For anyone else not receiving casino pricing, pricing would be higher.  I have tried twice to reprice at a lower price, but my price is would go up.

The problem with someone giving you the price of their cabin, there are too many categories in each type of cabin (location) and what perks they receive with their price.

Before using Princess, we had only gone on Celebrity, but they have only one cruise out of LA - Sept 2021 (which we are booked on), Princess is cheaper, but we like Celebrity

The wife and I frequent Vegas a lot and are fans of the Casino so hopefully we'll get some of these offers too after the cruise. Any casino tips for Princess? We like slots/roulette and wouldn't mind a poker/blackjack tournament. 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:36 AM, Farts said:

It really depends on your budget.

If you want to sail more, then the cheapest price is your best bet. I sailed 3x over the last 12 months. I try to get the cheapest cruise possible. 

If you are thinking about 1 cruise per 1-3 years, then splurging would be ok. NCL has the Haven. It's a cruise ship within the cruise ship. I have been in the Haven but it is just not for me.

To ea their own. 

Budget is flexible but would prefer to cruise more than splurging. We just love good deals so even if there is a good opportunity for Haven or Celebrity we'll jump on it if the price 'bottoms out'.  We are aiming for 2 cruises a year from here on out. 

On 2/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, jimdee3636 said:

Since you live in L.A. and are budget-minded, why don't you sign up for Princess' "Drop & Go" specials? They're usually for cruises 30 to 60 days out, which might make last-minute air travel expensive for some people but you don't have to worry about that. I've gotten those deals three times out of L.A., which is only a one-hour, usually inexpensive flight from Tucson.

I just signed up for it and I'm pretty sure the deal I got has to be related to that 'drop & go'. I purchased on 1/23 for a 2/22 sailing balcony D211 for $1250. If Im in LA this time of year next year, I definitely plan on taking the same approach. I have property in Miami and LA so it's rather easy, it's just a matter of short term locations. 

On 2/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, caribill said:

If any TA is asking for more than Princess, then do not ever use that TA. There is no reason a decent TA could not at least match the price that you get directly with Princess.

In general, the lowest pricing is for cruises in September (after summer vacations are over), after Thanksgiving but before Xmas, and in January.  The optimal time to book cruise for those periods could be what Cannavaro indicated.

Good idea.

On 2/11/2020 at 7:47 PM, Wishing on a star said:

SO many variables!   

You really have to get out the calculator and do the math.  

A cruise on one line with a small cabin/balcony and no perks will cost less than a bigger cabin/balcony with “included” additional packages on another line.  

Princess is now pricing like some other lines, where you can book either bare-bones or a package promo. (Best SaleEver) at an additional cost  Sometimes the different options do not seem apparent.  You might want to ask.  

Fares on most lines are pretty fixed.  The right “preferred” agency can offer additional perks or a so-called reduced fare. (Which is actually a kickback)

Sometimes some agencies can offer more than others. 

So, you can see that with the higher cabin category and the addition of perks and packages, the cruises can often be closer in price.

There really are are too many variables to be able to begin to decipher or compare who paid how much for what!!!  So it really isn’t usually brought up that specifically. 

Yea I can definitely see that. Even with the tons of variables, I believe it'll be best with open communication on what is paid so the consumer will always have the upper hand, ie. more cruises for all of us!

On 2/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, neverbeenhere said:

Two things:

1) you said late 30’s Dinks and you want to cruise Princess?  😀

2) Start the excel (or like) sheet of cruise prices, dates and amenities. Over time you can glean some additional information about purchase strategies. Also, remember on Princess, most times, you can re-fare your cruise, if the fare drops. 

LOL. I'm hoping not to be the youngest toddler on board but either way I plan on having a blast 🙂

I had a great time on Celebrity so I'm sure this will be no different.

Excel has begun, I plan on window shopping/mapping essentially until same time next year so I can a better picture of the entire seasons. 

On 2/12/2020 at 6:38 AM, Wishing on a star said:

The key might be the last two letters in that acronym!

To the OP.   I think on the newer Princess Ships you would be fine.

Especially on a warm weather cruise.

A bit more vibe!

Totally opposite, for example, than the Coral Princess to Alaska.

Just pay attention to whether there are features and activities on the other lines that you will miss.

With the cutbacks in food and dining last year, and the limited options when compared to some of the other bigger ships on other lines,  that might be a factor.  So look at options and menus.

I do know that the huge buffet on the Regal. (sister to the Royal) is known to be really great.

I read the same on CC. Warm weather cruise out of LAX should attract a good vibe of people. The wife wants to check out The Sanctuary and The Enclave while I am more of a foodie so I'm looking to see how they perform at the MDR and buffet(may do one specialty restaurant). I saw that the Royal has a specialty crab boil on the last day at sea; really curious how this is as Ive been to plenty of steakhouses and italian restaurants. 

On 2/12/2020 at 9:17 AM, twodaywonder said:

The price one person pays may not include the perks or no perks that another pays. So many different prices for so many different cabins. If your cruise is basic and you receive no perks. You price will be very low. If, lets say you get, pre paid gratuities, 2 drink packages, excursion discount, free specialty restaurants, 2 free bottles of wine. You are not getting these for FREE. Your cruise cost will go way up. But much lower than if you paid for them yourself. In many cases you can opt out of all the added perks and get the lowest price for a cruise. However, some cruises are much more expensive for where they are going and what time of the year. So many variables.

Agreed. I think the cruises try to frontload all of these 'free perks' so they can justify the increase in prices. 

23 hours ago, nini said:

We have also discovered that there is a lot of math and calculations

involved. We use a TA that is very generous in OBC. Each time a new

promotion comes out, I get out my own version of an "Excel" sheet and get

the calculator going

For example, it is NOT better for us to change to the Best Ever Sale for our

British Isles cruise in 2020. We currently have a huge amount of OBC, that

we would not come out ahead.  I think it was the Cyber Sale (not sure) in which

we also get included gratuities and also WiFi because we are Platinum. We are

not huge drinkers, so after the math, we have not switched. 

Also know that EZ Air so far for us, has been great to use.

Hoping to get some good TA recommendations on the meet and mingle we signed up for next week or else the 'excel' sheet will have to be the standard lol 

54 minutes ago, Cannavaro said:

I really enjoyed my time on the Celebrity solstice and I was about 10~ years younger. I was originally scared of the Princess demographic, but having sailed Celebrity which was a similar demographic I decided to go for it. Celebrity luxury and service standard is timeless so I'm hoping Princess is similar in that regards. Add the fact that I got a smokin deal as you say, I'm even more excited now. 

In regards to Celebrity, I think you will be pleased with Princess. We have

sailed Celebrity twice, the last time was a bit over a year ago. We did not care

for the Celebrity Reflection which generally has rave reviews. 

We MUCH prefer the large and open Atriums on Princess. We found the Celebrity ship

to be dark, feeling closed in, very mediocre food and service with snooty bartenders. (But

our cabin steward was great!).

I also think you will like the demographics.

13 minutes ago, Farts said:

After this Covid19 publicity, there may be some great deals coming up. lol

Yea.... I was just doing my weekly browsing and the NCL Joy cruise I was shopping for the same 7 day has plummeted down to $559-$650 for a balcony with perks. I could of saved about $700-$800 for choosing them with full 'perks' if I waited about a month. If I didn't genuinely want to try Princess I'd be beating myself on the head but I may just book the 7 day on the Joy for Mid March-April if it stays around  this price point. I am eyeing an Alaska cruise for May so I'm watching weekly to see the trends.

Oddly enough, with all the bad press for Princess with the Diamond right now their pricing on the same itinerary has stayed the same or gone up in price. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cannavaro said:

Yea.... I was just doing my weekly browsing and the NCL Joy cruise I was shopping for the same 7 day has plummeted down to $559-$650 for a balcony with perks. I could of saved about $700-$800 for choosing them with full 'perks' if I waited about a month. If I didn't genuinely want to try Princess I'd be beating myself on the head but I may just book the 7 day on the Joy for Mid March-April if it stays around  this price point. I am eyeing an Alaska cruise for May so I'm watching weekly to see the trends.

Oddly enough, with all the bad press for Princess with the Diamond right now their pricing on the same itinerary has stayed the same or gone up in price. 

You can't beat yourself up. No matter what, all these computer algorithms maximize how much they can charge. 

And I am sure Princess prices will drop soon. Just give it some time. 😄

• Like 1

i live by the san pedro port, so i very frequently* go "let's cruise"  and find a cruise inthe next month or two.  but my folks have to fly in, so this time we planned ahead and i booked before final payment.  *shrug*  the prices are what they are and i'll just have to stop looking so i don't lose my mind

buy when you can as your wallet allows and then don't second guess.  you can very easy get vacation paralysis if you study it too hard looking for the absolute best deal, as there will always be someone who does better.

*not as frequently as i like but as frequently as my wallet will tolerate

Edited by vampiress