Overweight and Independence of the Seas

sburrus4

Hi!  We leave soon on Indy.  My husband is a bigger guy (6’1”, 400lbs). He’s worried about fitting in the chairs at the show, dinner, etc.  Anyone else have experience with this and willing to share your experience?

thanks in advance!

He can get a chair without arms in the main dining room.  Most theaters have a few seats with no armrest between two seats or an armrest that lifts for someone to transfer from a wheelchair.  Look for those typically in the back of the theater if he finds the seats to be too small.

• Like 1

Seats in the theater will likely be too narrow for him, check the accessible area for alternate seating.  Consider bringing or renting one of the larger wheelchairs so he'll always have a comfortable place to sit.  Special Needs at Sea rents a "bariatric" chair for up to 500 lbs (sorry, don't know the cost).  Not sure where you are sailing from, but they deliver right to your cabin in certain departure ports.  As others have said, ask for a chair without arms in the MDR.  The buffet will have some scattered around, they also have a reserved accessible area (at least they did on Harmony).  I know you said you leave soon, but you may want to see if there are any accessible cabins left -- they have larger shower and commode areas.  Standard bathrooms are tiny in general, but especially in those 2 areas for larger people.

11 hours ago, Yorkiegirl3 said:

So my question is about the loungers I see pictures of on all the beaches in the Caribbean. They all appear to be plastic. Does anyone know how sturdy they are?

I haven't had any problem with these chairs & I am a big and tall guy.

• Like 1

The real worry should be fitting in the shower in your cabin and toilet for that matter. The toilets are floating and I'm not sure the weight limit on them.....

I'm 6' 220 and if I drop something in the shower I have to get out to be able to bend over to pick it up.....

• Like 1

I'm 6' and 400LBs. The theater seats are a bit snug but still comfortable. Some dining room chairs, I have to slide in to them and can be somewhat uncomfortable but not to the point where I can't enjoy my meal. The waitstaff are very accommodating  and may be able to find a different chair. 

Loungers have never been an issue. 

• Like 2

My husband was a very large man,  he had no issues with seats in the theater and the dining room waiters knew after the first night he would need a chair without arms and there was always one waiting for him and the waiter would discretely make the switch for him.  Don't worry all will be taken care of. 

• Like 1

My guy is 6'6 and pushing 400. We were just on the Symphony (and NCL Getaway fwiw.) We did alot of specialty restaurants and they were all able to accommodate without making it a thing. Usually we ended up with a bench on one side of the table and a normal chair on the other side and I simply took the bench and he sat in the chair. Johnny Rockets was insanely tight though, with two benches on each side of the table.

Anyway, the theaters and the arenas (like the aqua theater), comedy clubs and pubs etc, no issues.

You did mention beach chairs. He's very careful about that and all were strong enough to accommodate (on the ship and Coco Cay.) The umbrellas on Coco Cay at Chill Beach were kind of a pain because they are set very low. But I'm 5'6 and they were kinda low even for me, they are squished in tight and to stand and put on sunscreen etc was awkward. For him, it took skill!!

We did find quite a few places on Symphony were the ceiling height was a thing. We've never been on Indy, but, fair warning! The ceilings may be low! The sprinklers in the cabin grazed his hair, and the entrance to the bathroom and the balcony required a slight dip. I think it was Wonderland on Symphony as well that had some pretty low ceilings going down the stairwell.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blitzburggirl said:

My guy is 6'6 and pushing 400. We were just on the Symphony (and NCL Getaway fwiw.) We did alot of specialty restaurants and they were all able to accommodate without making it a thing. Usually we ended up with a bench on one side of the table and a normal chair on the other side and I simply took the bench and he sat in the chair. Johnny Rockets was insanely tight though, with two benches on each side of the table.

Anyway, the theaters and the arenas (like the aqua theater), comedy clubs and pubs etc, no issues.

You did mention beach chairs. He's very careful about that and all were strong enough to accommodate (on the ship and Coco Cay.) The umbrellas on Coco Cay at Chill Beach were kind of a pain because they are set very low. But I'm 5'6 and they were kinda low even for me, they are squished in tight and to stand and put on sunscreen etc was awkward. For him, it took skill!!

We did find quite a few places on Symphony were the ceiling height was a thing. We've never been on Indy, but, fair warning! The ceilings may be low! The sprinklers in the cabin grazed his hair, and the entrance to the bathroom and the balcony required a slight dip. I think it was Wonderland on Symphony as well that had some pretty low ceilings going down the stairwell.

Thanks so much. You shared lots of helpful information.