Self assist question

crazycruzer68

Yes.  Priority people usually have to be somewhere by 6:30 to self assist off the ship.  Sometimes there are employees running the elevators. 

Then they start calling floors and you just get in line to the elevators. Sometimes the lines are long, snaking through the hallways, but it moves relatively quick. 

We have a 10am flight out of fort lauderdale.  we are doing self assist.  How do we insure we get off the ship asap?  Just get in a line to debark or what?

Can or do you tell someone you need to get off asap so there won't be a issue getting off early?

Thanks!

52 minutes ago, isladonna said:

We have a 10am flight out of fort lauderdale.  we are doing self assist.  How do we insure we get off the ship asap?  Just get in a line to debark or what?

Can or do you tell someone you need to get off asap so there won't be a issue getting off early?

Thanks!

My suggestion would be to go down very close to the lobby by 6:30am.  That's usually when they tell the Diamonds to gather.  They won't let you in the Diamond or Platinum lounges though.

You don't say if you're cruising from FLL or MIA.  If FLL then you'll probably make that early of a flight, but it's going to be tight.  If you are traveling from Miami, then I would be VERY concerned.

59 minutes ago, isladonna said:

You might try asking at guest services and explain your situation.  One time we had a late floor number and since we had a 13 hour drive ahead of us, they told us what to do. Can’t remember what, as it was years ago. 

2 hours ago, isladonna said:

Thanks!

Go to Guest Services on the last day or night of your cruise. Remember, GS will be very busy on the last night, so you may want to try a little earlier. Let them know you have an earlier flight and show them your flight info. (they want proof). They'll work with you to get you off the ship as soon as they can.

• Like 1

I am priority and still would never book a flight before noon. I've run into broken ramps and all kinds of stuff where debarkation was delayed. Fog even. 

With this virus I would be concerned at the airport screening might be a little longer than usual. 

Yes do tell guest service, though if you arent priority to me you are asking to cut the priority line. 

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Yes do tell guest service, though if you arent priority to me you are asking to cut the priority line. 

I agree that the OP is cutting it very close, but it's Carnival's policy to work with those who have early flights home. They ask that those passengers register at Guest Services the night before. They don't see it as cutting the priority line.

I'm priority and always self assist - normally they have us meet very early in one of the lounges or dining rooms.  We typically start down 30 minutes before the meet time so that we don't have a big issue with using the elevators.  I will tell you that there will be a lot of people using the aft elevators to go to the Lido for breakfast, so we always use the forward elevators.

On recent cruises out of Tampa, they have the people with early flights meet at the same location as priority.  When the ship clears, they call Diamond and Platinum off and then immediately follow with those with early flights.  I would go to Guest Services early on the day before reaching the home port - as people say, the night before debark is a circus at Guest Services.

thanks everyone, good to know info!! 

By the way Carnival was booking the exact same flight for us, leaving at that time, 10am.  I just ended up booking it myself.

Here's hoping there will be no issues!!

We are also doing carry on only, for the first time, to avoid checking a bag! 

Yes leaving from Fort Lauderdale. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Go to Guest Services on the last day or night of your cruise. Remember, GS will be very busy on the last night, so you may want to try a little earlier. Let them know you have an earlier flight and show them your flight info. (they want proof). They'll work with you to get you off the ship as soon as they can.

This.

Guest services can print a letter that will have the information on when and where to meet on the last morning for early flights.  It's often near the FTTF group.  I always show up 1/2 before the time on the letter because if the ship is ready early, they will let you off early. 

It will also help if you use carry on luggage only, have pre check, and take a cab or uber/lyft to the airport.

It was a cluster on Liberty a couple weeks ago where probably 75% of people decided to do self assist. Should have known when there were still early tags available late into the night. We ended up just lugging our bags down the stairs since the elevators were jammed.

27 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

This.

Guest services can print a letter that will have the information on when and where to meet on the last morning for early flights.  It's often near the FTTF group.  I always show up 1/2 before the time on the letter because if the ship is ready early, they will let you off early. 

It will also help if you use carry on luggage only, have pre check, and take a cab or uber/lyft to the airport.

Thank you!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, isladonna said:

Thanks!

Hubby and I just did self-assist at Port Everglades yesterday morning (got off the Carnival Magic).  As Platinum VIFP members, we were among the first off the ship, and were standing in FLL before 7:00 am.  I have no idea if it is always that easy - I'd been fretting about making a 11:45 flight!

They were only allowing Platinums and Diamonds to get off in that first wave, though - all others including Faster to the Fun had to wait until we were off. I have no idea how long that took - I was already in a taxi heading to the airport...

14 hours ago, crazycruzer68 said:

Are we able to use the elevators for self assist?😎

Yes, but good luck getting one.  We have rarely been able to get them.  Many are already full when they get to your floor.  Plus, many other people will also be wanting to get elevators and many (if not most) do not understand the concept of letting those who had already been waiting go first.  On our cruise back in January, we waited 15 minutes and finally headed down the stairs.  This was at 6:45 in the the morning as we were heading to the priority waiting area and before the big rush.   So I would not count on being able to get an elevator.  Make sure you can carry your luggage down the stairs if needed.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, isladonna said:

Thanks!

On our cruise back in September we had a flight at 10:37.  We are platinum, but couldn't do self-assist.  We checked our luggage and with priority we were off the ship by 8:10, through security at the airport (after getting a taxi) and at our gate by 8:40 a.m.  Again, this was with checked luggage, so self-assist would have been much earlier. It was the same way the last time we went out of Port Everglades a couple of years ago, so it can be done. If you do not have FTTF, or priority, make sure you go to guest services before that day.

I just got off the Miracle in Miami this past Friday.  The port authority had the ship halt debarkation twice because the lines were too long and not moving.  Just be aware there are other people involved in getting passengers off the ship,  and there can be delays.  

I took the Carnival shuttle from Miami to Fort Lauderdale.  It was not well organized and we were cutting it close.  I had a 1:10 PM flight.