Jump to content

CoronaVirus Impact on the Cruise Industry


Hlitner
 Share

Recommended Posts

I doubt anyone can answer your question because at this point no one knows. If I was in charge at Royal Caribbean and my fleet was blocked from port entry with thousands of passengers then I would route my ship to one of the private islands like coco cay. It might be a good idea if they began staging that island for this type of event now. 

Edited by rolloman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The call for quarantines with end when

1. Medical doctors announce they have a treatment regimen that is affective drawing down the mortality rate (as soon as it gets closer to flu the hysteria will go away)...short term they are just trying to learn enough about it before ICU become overwhelmed, so they are using a 'slow the progress' battle approach.  It won't be long IMO

 

and/or

2. There is a major natural catastrophe to soak up the main stream media attention which in turn will help decrease the out of control hysteria that far exceeds the actual impact of the virus

 

In all the reporting you see....they won't tell you...but if dig for it....100,000 cases.....2,400 dead..........but that means 97,600 people either got better or were getting better.  It's on the some of the charts....its a little green line, almost a footnote....because it isn't as much as a ratings driver as the big red circles all over the world

Edited by dodgestang
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I doubt anyone can answer your question because at this point no one knows. If I was in charge at Royal Caribbean and my fleet was blocked from port entry with thousands of passengers then I would route my ship to one of the private islands like coco cay. It might be a good idea if they began staging that island for this type of event now. 

Coco Cay is a part of the Bahamas, which could prevent them from docking.  Same with Labadee (Haiti).

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Many people are saying they don't want to cancel their cruise, but are really afraid of being quarantined for 14 days, either on a ship or at some military base.  Considering that it is currently being reported that it might take several days to "safely" get everyone off of the Grand Princess that docked in Oakland, and that the government cannot continue trying to quarantine 3,000, or more, people at a time, how long do you think it will be until they stop trying to do it, or simply cancel all cruises?  What will they do if two ships ( maybe 8,000 total passengers) arrive at Port Everglades at the same time with evidence of virus stricken passengers?  Is it time that they just shut everything down, including flights?  Maybe it is, or wait until the next ship occurs and then use that to say"we can't keep doing this quarantine thing".  Just wondering.

Quarantine me to my Cabin for extra 4 weeks at no cost on a Cruise to nowhere, I'll deal with it. Military Base, been there done that. Question is do we get the extra points.... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, rolloman said:

They lease it...it is uninhabited. 

Though At one time was inhabited, back when I was last there in 90's. Pretty sure some workers are there 24/7 though

Edited by ONECRUISER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, time4u2go said:

The Bahamas could still block them from docking.  Remember, Bahamians work there.

If and buts candy and nuts....the OP asked a question, I gave a reasonable solution. Those workers can easily be sent home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rolloman said:

If and buts candy and nuts....the OP asked a question, I gave a reasonable solution. Those workers can easily be sent home. 

Royal leases the island.  They don't own it.  They don't get to make the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, time4u2go said:

Royal leases the island.  They don't own it.  They don't get to make the rules.

Have you read the lease? What is your solution? Float at sea on ships which have no fuel replenishment capabilities?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, teacherman said:

Many people are saying they don't want to cancel their cruise, but are really afraid of being quarantined for 14 days, either on a ship or at some military base.  Considering that it is currently being reported that it might take several days to "safely" get everyone off of the Grand Princess that docked in Oakland, and that the government cannot continue trying to quarantine 3,000, or more, people at a time, how long do you think it will be until they stop trying to do it, or simply cancel all cruises?  What will they do if two ships ( maybe 8,000 total passengers) arrive at Port Everglades at the same time with evidence of virus stricken passengers?  Is it time that they just shut everything down, including flights?  Maybe it is, or wait until the next ship occurs and then use that to say"we can't keep doing this quarantine thing".  Just wondering.

 

 

I was just wondering.  If there was this much media hype and all out panic and fear mongering over the flu (which is way worse)   maybe we would have a cure for it now????? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, rolloman said:

I doubt anyone can answer your question because at this point no one knows. If I was in charge at Royal Caribbean and my fleet was blocked from port entry with thousands of passengers then I would route my ship to one of the private islands like coco cay. It might be a good idea if they began staging that island for this type of event now. 

Even if they did do that...how many ships can you have there?  2 big ones?  Maybe 3 mid sizers?  And if this continues to spread daily mingling events with 10-15k people in relatively close proximity is going to be a non-starter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, time4u2go said:

Other boats can refuel them.

PFFFT.....amazing.....So you talk in factual terms about a lease which you have no knowledge of then you proceed to say a cruise  ship with 3000 passengers on it can safely be refueled at sea....please....stop the nonsense. I was on a carrier for years...believe me when I say refueling at sea is a major issue and requires onboard systems and equipment not to mention training.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rolloman said:

PFFFT.....amazing.....So you talk in factual terms about a lease which you have no knowledge of then you proceed to say a cruise  ship with 3000 passengers on it can safely be refueled at sea....please....stop the nonsense. I was on a carrier for years...believe me when I say refueling at sea is a major issue and requires onboard systems and equipment not to mention training.

 

The cruise lines still have duty to obey local laws and regulations, and the countries have rights to deny ships entry.  

 

Maybe I am misunderstanding your premise?  Are you saying Royal can just go to CocoCay, NCL can just go to GSC, MSC can just go to Ocean Cay, etc., because they have exclusive long term contracts for usage, and do not require the government approval?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Even if they did do that...how many ships can you have there?  2 big ones?  Maybe 3 mid sizers?  And if this continues to spread daily mingling events with 10-15k people in relatively close proximity is going to be a non-starter

If it becomes too serious like you mention...well....cruising will come to a grinding halt and those ships will be parked. I am assuming this all calms down by summer.....(Dr. OZ as a reference) so some type of stop gap emergency plan from the cruise lines needs to be at the ready.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Even if they did do that...how many ships can you have there?  2 big ones?  Maybe 3 mid sizers?  And if this continues to spread daily mingling events with 10-15k people in relatively close proximity is going to be a non-starter

Very good point.  Even if they are allowed to dock, there's only so much capacity, and it could make matters even worse.  The island could become basically a petri dish, with practically no medical facilities, except for what's on the ships.

Edited by time4u2go
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Q&A with American Queen Voyages
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...