Concerned about virus testing

silversurf

I am 75 years old and use a wheelchair  for any distance due to osteoarthritis.

6 years ago I was diagnosed with a lung disease which causes coughing and a low oxygen level. This is well controlled by tablets and inhalers.

We have a cruise booked for June in the Baltic, which we are very excited about, but I am concerned that when we get to Southampton and are tested that we may be refused boarding due to these symptoms.

I should be very upset if we had got this far and then had to go home,  this is an expensive cruise for us, so would we get our money back.

Don’t think phoning P and O would be much help if I phoned them to ask as their admin don’t seem to know their a**e from their elbows.

Nearer the time it might be sensible to get a letter from your GP to explain your medical condition, set out the side-effects/symptoms and confirm that there is no reason you should not travel.  I would think that P&O would find that hard to argue against and if they did deny boarding, should stand you in good stead for getting a refund from them.

• Like 5

You'll have seen and studied the contents of this, I'm sure:  https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

It's reasonably specific, but doesn't cover the question of refunds.  And even with a refund you'd be unlikely to recover the cost of getting to Southampton and back. 

Chances are you'll be OK (that's a guess) and by June we may well have reached the point that screening becomes unnecessary and pointless - no point screening if the numbers are huge, which they may well be by then, across the world. 

I think I'd be inclined to put the question to P&O by email to get a written response which they can't backtrack on.

Providing you have informed P&O in plenty of time before your travel date you should be safe looking at

sec 19 of P&O T&C'S.

So make sure they know your condition and do what Britboys  advises you to do as well.

19. At the time of booking every Guest is obliged to inform P&O Cruises of any condition, including but not limited to reduced mobility or any Disability of any Guest travelling in the booking, which may require special arrangements, medical equipment/supplies, care or assistance. This is to ensure that the Guest can be carried safely and in accordance with all applicable safety requirements and for P&O Cruises to consider whether the Package is generally suitable for the person with reduced mobility or any Disability. If P&O Cruises considers that the Package is not suitable for the person with reduced mobility or any Disability or if the Guest cannot be carried safely and in accordance with applicable safety requirements then P&O Cruises can refuse to accept a booking or to subsequently embark that Guest on the grounds of safety. Such a refusal will be based on an assessment of risk by P&O Cruises

Edited by kalos

I’m worried too. 

I don’t have a specific medical condition that causes colds and temps but I get them regularly just because my immune systems is shot. 

Seems like every company is coving their own backsides were mere mortals are going to pay the price. 

On 2/27/2020 at 12:16 PM, Britboys said:

Nearer the time it might be sensible to get a letter from your GP to explain your medical condition, set out the side-effects/symptoms and confirm that there is no reason you should not travel.  I would think that P&O would find that hard to argue against and if they did deny boarding, should stand you in good stead for getting a refund from them.

I agree a very sensible approach 

On 2/28/2020 at 1:52 PM, jeanlyon said:

Just got an answer from my insurer and then looked it up on the net.  Most insurers do not cover epidemics and pandemics!!  If you are turned away, you should apply to the tour operator, travel agent for a cancellation refund.

I spoke to the provider of my Nationwide Flex Plus Travel policy and they suggested they would consider the P&O situation on denied boarding on the basis of a natural disaster. These are covered for cancellation. Of course this is all very well them saying this but it what they say if you claim that is important. 

Best wishes, Stephen.  

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

I think that health is more important than a cruise. If the situation worsens then we will consider cancelling. There is nothing worse than being away from home when one is sick and I think that it would be worse to be on a ship (at least from watching the recent reports on TV). We are not watching any social media but do visit sites like Health Canada or the CDC for guidance.

We are going on a cruise in November 2020. The agent at the cruise line said that they have implemented prescreening at the cruise terminals and will be turning away anyone that shows up sick. I think that the onus is on passengers to not push the issue otherwise you might become a statistic and not a passenger who had a great time.

We have until early July to cancel and receive a full refund. We will be watching how this disease evolves over the next while.

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

People who left on Aurora had a temp check on checkin.

As I have already posted elsewhere, a running nose is NOT a symptom of coronavirus. Rather, it starts with a fever followed by a dry cough. So checking people for colds is akin to being on the fish market adjacent to the red herring stall. Better to check temperature and flag up anyone with a abnormally high reading. Saga are doing this, using special thermometers which just need to be pointed at the skin without touching. Hopefully P&O will be doing the same.

• Like 3