Sky Transatlantic March 6 2020 Almost Live

Clay Clayton

The rocking overnight meant I slept like a baby and didn’t wake up until 10. So no lamb chops for breakfast this morning, instead just a coffee and my favorite pistachio roll in the beautiful Living Room.

Under the Living Room picture is a photo of Sky’s current officers.  We have sailed with Camiel the Hotel Director before.  Always nice to see a familiar face! 

4FBEFE16-BA87-45B1-94E3-5F456B38BDB2.jpeg

E8B3D374-904E-4FFC-86C8-7AA1FD003C5C.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jack E Dawson said:

Clay,

Have you heard anything official from Viking regarding the Barcelona to Venice segment? Are you still making stops in Italy and disembarking in Venice? 

Thanks

Jack

We are only in until Barcelona so I wouldn’t have gotten any official notification about the plans after that. I overheard some Of those folks discussing it day before yesterday and they had been told they would get news yesterday.  Since I haven’t heard anything yet, I suspect they haven’t either. Will post on here when I do. 

Today was “Taste of the Caribbean” day at the pool deck and World Cafe. Complimentary pina coladas for everybody along with jerk chicken, grilled shrimp, coconut rice, black beans, etc. very tasty. It was nice on the Aquavit as they sun was shining and several folks took advantage of it to enjoy the pool and deck. I had planned to do the same after “Name that Tune” but it’s clouded back up so I’m enjoying our veranda instead. 

its a little cooler today than yesterday and supposed to be 70° tomorrow so we are obviously heading north. The winds are also supposed to be lower tomorrow so hopefully it will be easier to move about the ship. Luckily, I sleep just fine, but some of our Trivia Teammates (don’t even ask about our score today 😢) whose rooms are near the front of the ship have trouble between the movement and the occasional BANG when the hull hits a big wave. Closer to the stern, we don’t have that isssue and in fact I’m hoping we can sleep with the door open tonight.  I love the sound of the waves. The video will give you an idea. 

I’m headed down to the spa for a bit now..such an awful life. 😂

13F86019-15E3-4DF0-9DCC-68C4B7D6FA17.jpeg

E1553AF2-C915-4206-B4E6-97E094FC0EFC.jpeg

E035F607-F63C-4241-B2B0-5A66994EAB3D.jpeg

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just got this via email from a friend in Scotland, so it appears we won’t be porting in Funchal.  Let’s hope they will at least let us get some fuel!

https://madeiraislanddirect.com/blog/2020/03/cruise-ships-banned/

I'm sure they will get you fuel from somewhere but makes for a bit more interesting cruise?????

6 minutes ago, stcroixguy said:

Sorry to tell you, but trump just announced that the us is not accepting flights from Europe starting Friday.  

The suspension is effective for 30 days.  It does not apply to flights from the U.K.

1 hour ago, stcroixguy said:

Sorry to tell you, but trump just announced that the us is not accepting flights from Europe starting Friday.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/11/world/coronavirus-news.html

This news is so fresh that as I write this post, it hasn't made it to the Travel.State.Gov, the WhiteHouse.gov or CDC websites.

Edited by Peregrina651

Saw an update on the Regent boards so checked DHS.gov

Seems like the ban is only for foreign nationals?  Am I reading this correctly?  It's all happening so fast.

Release Date: 
March 11, 2020

(WASHINGTON) Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.  

Statement from DHS Acting Secretary Chad F. Wolf:

“Protecting the American people from threats to their safety is the most important job of the President of the United States. The actions President Trump is taking to deny entry to foreign nationals who have been in affected areas will keep Americans safe and save American lives. I applaud the president for making this tough but necessary decision. While these new travel restrictions will be disruptive to some travelers, this decisive action is needed to protect the American public from further exposure to the potentially deadly coronavirus.

“In January and February, the Administration issued similar travel restrictions on individuals who had been in China and Iran. That action proved to be effective in slowing the spread of the virus to the U.S., while public health officials prepared. In the next 48 hours, in the interest of public health, I intend to issue a supplemental Notice of Arrivals Restriction requiring U.S. passengers that have been in the Schengen Area to travel through select airports where the U.S. Government has implemented enhanced screening procedures.”

Above statement was issued by the acting director of DHS.  Hope it's good news for Clay and Mike.

Edited by Maggers
clarification

11 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are enjoying trivia but the “it’s only a game” only comes from the entertainer asking the questions, not the Captain. 

Different Captain? Too bad. One game was held on both levels of the Explorer Lounge with answers being fluttered down to the first level. 

10 minutes ago, Maggers said:

Seems like the ban is only for foreign nationals?  Am I reading this correctly?  It's all happening so fast.

Maggers, that is not what he said on his Press Conference this evening, which supersedes whatever DHS said earlier today. Things are happening fast, too fast perhaps. 

NYT says in the link I just gave: President Trump said he would be suspending all travel from Europe for the next 30 days starting Friday. The restrictions will not apply to Britain.

The link includes the Press Conference itself.

Edited by Peregrina651

16 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Maggers, that is not what he said on his Press Conference this evening, which supersedes whatever DHS said earlier today. Things are happening fast, too fast perhaps. 

NYT says in the link I just gave: President Trump said he would be suspending all travel from Europe for the next 30 days starting Friday. The restrictions will not apply to Britain.

The link includes the Press Conference itself.

So confusing!  I can't tell which came first.  And now the news that Viking is suspending operations through April 30.  Need to take a deep breath.  Good luck all.

21 minutes ago, Maggers said:

So confusing!  I can't tell which came first.  And now the news that Viking is suspending operations through April 30.  Need to take a deep breath.  Good luck all.

The President's Press Conference was at 9 pm EDT, so it is more recent than the DHS announcement.

Link to Viking notification:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/my-trip/current-sailings/index.html

Good letter from Mr. Hagen.

Yes, one huge cleansing breath!

Edited by Peregrina651

Apparently the White House is indicating the president was wrong during the Oval Office address which I am going to point out was read from a teleprompter. We are also not banning cargo... which he said we were? I missed the live version so just listening to reports now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Apparently the White House is indicating the president was wrong during the Oval Office address which I am going to point out was read from a teleprompter. We are also not banning cargo... which he said we were? I missed the live version so just listening to reports now. 

Unless it has been removed since I posted it, the link I gave a few posts up includes a video of the press conference. You can hear it for yourself.

And, perhaps we should end this hijacking of Clay's Live thread and move the discussion of the virus related matters to another thread such as:

Viking Coronavirus Update

Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

Norway Restrictions

Very impressed by Vikings response.....they surely are stepping up and doing the right thing....We wish the cruise and travel industry well in these trying times....how would it be if we aren't free to roam the world!

Viking Coronavirus Update

Viking suspends all operations from March 12-April 30

Norway Restrictions

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are only in until Barcelona so I wouldn’t have gotten any official notification about the plans after that. I overheard some Of those folks discussing it day before yesterday and they had been told they would get news yesterday.  Since I haven’t heard anything yet, I suspect they haven’t either. Will post on here when I do. 

I was going to ask the same question. Per Mr Hagen's announcement, the port of Monte Carlo and Venice are closed and with Italy under quarantine you can't enter anywhere in Italy.