Jump to content

What happens if the bookings are so low Carnival cancels


Recommended Posts

54 minutes ago, Yankeegirl49 said:

You are the type of people who would be a pleasure to cruise with. Enjoy your trip!


I completely disagree with this. Warnings concerning the coronavirus have consistently stated the elderly are at a much higher risk. Unfortunately, someone  over the age of 70 falls into this category. The fact that the poster you responded to is still going on a cruise is extremely selfish and significantly increases the chances that everyone else on the ship could end up being quarantined. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

 

That simply is not true. The mortality rate of coronavirus is at least 10 times the mortality rate of the flu.

 

The flu is much, much more prevalent however.

 

 

Deaths are always serious but in outbreaks of viruses, fatalities always start out high since the most susceptible to catch the virus are also most susceptible to die from it's effects... as it spreads and more general population (read healthier people) catch it and the number of deaths drops. With proper quarantine we can stop the spread... but then those initial statistics will remain to skew the perception of the fatal nature of that particular outbreak.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

I 100% agree with you. We are going in May and have no fear or intentions of cancelling. It's the FLU! Last year or any year for that matter had the Media announced every time someone got the flu or died from it. It would look very similar to what is happening now.

 

You realize there is much more to this than just people dying. 
Entire cities are being shut down. When was the last time the flu did that? 
quarantines. States of emergency being called. 
 

I am not panicked. But you can’t say this is just the flu. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

 

You realize there is much more to this than just people dying. 
Entire cities are being shut down. When was the last time the flu did that? 
quarantines. States of emergency being called. 
 

I am not panicked. But you can’t say this is just the flu. 

 

Exactly. And, for goodness sakes, those people calling it a flu, please stop. They are totally different viruses. It is NOT a flu.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

 

You realize there is much more to this than just people dying. 
Entire cities are being shut down. When was the last time the flu did that? 
quarantines. States of emergency being called. 
 

I am not panicked. But you can’t say this is just the flu. 

Just because people are panicking doesn't make the actual virus any more dangerous.  But you are correct, let's stop calling this the flu because the flu is much more dangerous and yet, no cities are being quarantined for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 1kaper said:

 

You realize there is much more to this than just people dying. 
Entire cities are being shut down. When was the last time the flu did that? 
quarantines. States of emergency being called. 
 

I am not panicked. But you can’t say this is just the flu. 

ok how does Influenza work for you? Please tell me what ENTIRE city has been shut down? Over 12,000 people died form the flu just between October 2019 and January 2020. Where was the Media coverage, outrage and panic????

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

 

Exactly. And, for goodness sakes, those people calling it a flu, please stop. They are totally different viruses. It is NOT a flu.

You're right, the FLU is much more dangerous!

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:


I completely disagree with this. Warnings concerning the coronavirus have consistently stated the elderly are at a much higher risk. Unfortunately, someone  over the age of 70 falls into this category. The fact that the poster you responded to is still going on a cruise is extremely selfish and significantly increases the chances that everyone else on the ship could end up being quarantined. 

no. as an over 70 year old couple, they have a higher chance of dying from covid19/complications. there are thousands of people under 70 who catch it. i am a woman in my 30s. i have a pretty good immune system (i'm a paramedic so exposed to some nasty germs on a regular basis), but if we were all on a cruise together and in an enclosed space with someone infected, it is very likely that we would all catch it. that couple just has a higher chance of dying from it. if that is a risk they are willing to take, that is their choice.

if you want to claim that it is selfish on their part because their family would be the ones to suffer after they die. ok. i'll give you that argument. but ultimately, they are very likely to die from a motor vehicle collision or a trip and fall. doesn't mean we wrap them in bubble wrap.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RenoNanaOz said:

You're right, the FLU is much more dangerous!

Nobody knows this. In fact, all signs point to the fact that COVID-19 is much more communicable, and that the mortality rate is much higher for COVID-19 than the flu. Mostly because of the population it affects, but still.

 

Now, if you were to say the flu is more widespread right now, and chances are higher for the average person to get the flu right now, then that would be correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

Just because people are panicking doesn't make the actual virus any more dangerous.  But you are correct, let's stop calling this the flu because the flu is much more dangerous and yet, no cities are being quarantined for it.

Not quite:  "The strict new quarantine measures affect a quarter of the Italian population and centre on the rich northern part of the country that powers its economy."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

 

2,773 People Are Under Quarantines in New York City:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-cases.html

 

I'm 72 and have been a news junkie all my life, since age 14, and I've never heard of a disease having this much more of an impact on the world, much less the U.S. than this nasty bug.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RenoNanaOz said:

ok how does Influenza work for you? Please tell me what ENTIRE city has been shut down? Over 12,000 people died form the flu just between October 2019 and January 2020. Where was the Media coverage, outrage and panic????


Well. It started with Wuhan. But now we are seeing several cities in Italy being shut down. 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Nobody knows this. In fact, all signs point to the fact that COVID-19 is much more communicable, and that the mortality rate is much higher for COVID-19 than the flu. Mostly because of the population it affects, but still.

 

Now, if you were to say the flu is more widespread right now, and chances are higher for the average person to get the flu right now, then that would be correct.

Over 12,000 people died from the flu in the last quarter of 2019. Why no Media coverage? Why no Panic? We all know what this is about but I am not going to get Political. We can politely agree to disagree 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RenoNanaOz said:

Over 12,000 people died from the flu in the last quarter of 2019. Why no Media coverage? Why no Panic? We all know what this is about but I am not going to get Political. We can politely agree to disagree 🙂 

There is not one thing political about my posts. So disagree all you want, but please don't try to diminish anything I am saying with a red herring of being political.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

no. as an over 70 year old couple, they have a higher chance of dying from covid19/complications. there are thousands of people under 70 who catch it. i am a woman in my 30s. i have a pretty good immune system (i'm a paramedic so exposed to some nasty germs on a regular basis), but if we were all on a cruise together and in an enclosed space with someone infected, it is very likely that we would all catch it. that couple just has a higher chance of dying from it. if that is a risk they are willing to take, that is their choice.

if you want to claim that it is selfish on their part because their family would be the ones to suffer after they die. ok. i'll give you that argument. but ultimately, they are very likely to die from a motor vehicle collision or a trip and fall. doesn't mean we wrap them in bubble wrap.

Actually, that hasn't been the case. With each of the cruise situations, thousands of people on board, but it was a small number, in comparison , who got infected. Or did I misread the numbers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Not quite:  "The strict new quarantine measures affect a quarter of the Italian population and centre on the rich northern part of the country that powers its economy."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51787238

 

2,773 People Are Under Quarantines in New York City:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/nyregion/coronavirus-new-york-cases.html

 

I'm 72 and have been a news junkie all my life, since age 14, and I've never heard of a disease having this much more of an impact on the world, much less the U.S. than this nasty bug.

My point is that cities are not quarantining people because of the flu.  There is no evidence that Corona is any more transmittable or dangerous than the standard flu at this point.  

 

We are likely canceling our April cruise but only because of the complete over reaction by the government officials.  My son is graduating this year and cannot afford to be quarantined for a couple weeks.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

Nobody knows this. In fact, all signs point to the fact that COVID-19 is much more communicable, and that the mortality rate is much higher for COVID-19 than the flu. Mostly because of the population it affects, but still.

 

Now, if you were to say the flu is more widespread right now, and chances are higher for the average person to get the flu right now, then that would be correct.

Except that really hasn't been proven. Those numbers do not include the many many people who have no symptoms or their symptoms are so minor , they haven't even visited a doctor. In fact, reports are saying the two percentages might be a lot closer than it looks because of the unreported cases.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 1kaper said:


Well. It started with Wuhan. But now we are seeing several cities in Italy being shut down. 
 

 

Which by the way has a very large and well funded biological laboratory funded by the Chinese government.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FLAlaska said:

Except that really hasn't been proven. Those numbers do not include the many many people who have no symptoms or their symptoms are so minor , they haven't even visited a doctor. In fact, reports are saying the two percentages might be a lot closer than it looks because of the unreported cases.

I do agree that we really don't know yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many are very quick to point out that this is not the flu.  They are right.

 

Coronavirus, though, is the common cold!  And, it is just as communicable as the common cold.  It is spread via droplets, not aerosol.  So, it is not overly communicable.  

 

However, because it is new, it's possible that very few people are immune, which makes it seem that even more communicable than it is.  Most colds go around and around, and you can't catch the same one twice (and, you may be immune to an overly similar cold virus as one you already had, as well).

 

Further, death statistics are completely irrelevant right now, because we have no idea how many people catch this and never see a doctor because they don't have symptoms any worse than any other common cold.

 

If we declared a state of emergency every time a severe cold (or flue, or any other virus) went around that killed a bunch of people, we'd have a state of emergency every month of every winter!

 

News flash: People catch viruses and, if you are immune compromised, or otherwise at risk, it can be dangerous!  

 

This fake news caused panic is causing terrible economic consequences (not just the cruise industry), not to mention anxiety and worry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, amyotravel said:

I do agree that we really don't know yet.

I try to use my logic. I don't recall this reaction with the Swine Flu which WAS more deadly and was actually called a pandemic. Unless the governments aren't telling us something, the reaction to this virus seems way out of proportion to all the other virus and flu's we've seen.  I take a step back. There are over a billion people in China, and 80,000 were infected, 3000 died. There are over 350 million in the US, and we are looking at 14 deaths and 500 infections. Every life matters, but those numbers are minor.  

 

Even the percentages of people on the cruise ships that got infected were small. It all seems much ado about nothing, TO THIS POINT. But we all handle things our own way and media driven fear doesn't do any one any good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, amyotravel said:

There is not one thing political about my posts. So disagree all you want, but please don't try to diminish anything I am saying with a red herring of being political.

I don't think anyone said that you, specifically, was being political.

 

I believe that poster was accusing the media's choice of how to cover this as politically driven.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, FLAlaska said:

I try to use my logic. I don't recall this reaction with the Swine Flu which WAS more deadly and was actually called a pandemic. Unless the governments aren't telling us something, the reaction to this virus seems way out of proportion to all the other virus and flu's we've seen.  I take a step back. There are over a billion people in China, and 80,000 were infected, 3000 died. There are over 350 million in the US, and we are looking at 14 deaths and 500 infections. Every life matters, but those numbers are minor.  

 

Even the percentages of people on the cruise ships that got infected were small. It all seems much ado about nothing, TO THIS POINT. But we all handle things our own way and media driven fear doesn't do any one any good.

Probably of most concern is that although the flu is very dangerous for the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, this virus seems to be even more so for that population.  Plus, when trying to calculate the numbers, not everyone with the flu gets a case severe enough to be tested or treated either. So that is the same on both accounts. And, there is a flu vaccine which does sometimes offer some protection if it is flu. No, it's not perfect, but it is something.

 

For COVID-19, some people are being reported with no symptoms and then in just hours (sometimes less) are very severely sick.

 

This is also a first because of the abundance of real time social media discussion (like here! ha!).

 

Also, it has a thus far pretty unidentifiable incubation period.

Edited by amyotravel
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cruizergal70 said:

One thing to remember.  We are about 90 days into the outbreak of a new virus. We don't know the official death toll will be.

It's way too soon to compare the death rate of Covid-19 to the regular flu.

^^^^^This! Excellent point cruizergal70. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amyotravel said:

There is not one thing political about my posts. So disagree all you want, but please don't try to diminish anything I am saying with a red herring of being political.

Settle down, I never said YOU were political. I said I wasn't going to get political and I was trying to be polite.. Also you as well, don't try to diminish what I have said. There was not a single bit of outrage or panic last year was there? Good Day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Crystal Cruises - New! Luxury Bahamas Escapes
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...