Avoid at any cost.

abualsamid

I booked a cruise for my family, including two children with disabilities, for our Spring Break vacation.
My child has a history of severe asthma reactions to upper respiratory infections. 
When the corona virus epidemic started, I got worried about him getting severely sick while at sea. In the past he ended up in the ICU three times.
I called them to ask for a refund for a future trip. They flat out refused. I called the following week, and the lady explicitly told me to "cancel the reservation and write to our customer care team" as the only option.
I did so, and was flat out denied by the customer care team. I wrote them back, I was flat out denied. I called again, I was flat out denied. Every time with zero empathy.

Today, they announced "peace of mind, cancel your reservation if you are worried about corona virus." I called and they said "you already canceled, this does not apply to you". When I lost my temper the customer service HUNG UP THE PHONE.

I would not travel on Norweigian if they paid me my weight in gold to do it. 

Did you try filing a claim with your travel insurance.

FWIW, if you used abusive language or were abusive to them, I'm glad they hung up, they shouldn't have to take that kind of behavior.

Edited by NLH Arizona

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Travel insurance doesn’t pay because you cancelled because you were afraid of illness.

Travel insurance does not cover pandemics and existing conditions since the virus has been around awhile now.  News channels covering the cruise lines explained this on TV.  The only protection is the cruise line's "Cancel for any reason" insurance that does NOT refund your money but give you 75% to 90% future cruise credit for a future cruise.

Edited by Sara_smile

3 minutes ago, Sara_smile said:

Travel insurance does not cover pandemics and existing conditions since the virus has been around awhile now.  News channels covering the cruise lines explained this on TV.  The only protection is the cruise line's "Cancel for any reason" insurance that does NOT refund your money but give you 75% to 90% future cruise credit for a future cruise.

That’s misinformation. CFAR refunds you in money not cruise credits. You are penalized depending on how many days out from departure by NCL. Then you submit a claim and get 75( or 90%) of the difference. 

Great first post!

I would think traveling with a child who gets "severe asthma reactions to upper respiratory infections" would be risky during flu season which is more dangerous to children, historically and at this point, than COVID-19.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, abualsamid said:

When the corona virus epidemic started, I got worried about him getting severely sick while at sea. In the past he ended up in the ICU three times.

Do you mean he ended up in the ICU three times after being on a cruise?

12 minutes ago, galagirl5 said:

That’s misinformation. CFAR refunds you in money not cruise credits. You are penalized depending on how many days out from departure by NCL. Then you submit a claim and get 75( or 90%) of the difference. 

Incorrect.

NCL does NOT sell CFAR insurance. If you cancel, you file an insurance claim with NCL's insurance carrier. If you have a covered reason for cancellation (medical condition, etc.), the insurance company will reimburse you for 100% of the cancellation penalty. If you are cancelling because you are afraid of a virus, you will get $0 from the insurance company. You send your denied insurance claim to NCL and they give you 75% of 90% in FCC. 

With the current Peace of Mind, anyone can cancel because they are afraid of the virus and get 100% in FCC. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ColeThornton said:

Do you mean he ended up in the ICU three times after being on a cruise?

no. in the past when he had respiratory infections (from school, etc...) he had severe reactions leading to medics/ICU. He has been on cruises/flights before, when not sick, with no issues. We now travel prepared with emergency medication and take all precautions. There is a fine line between living a normal life (as normal as possible) and taking unnecessary risk.  We feel that the corona virus poses an unnecessary risk that's out of everybody's control. That's why when I contacted them initially I did not ask for a refund but for a credit for a future cruise. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I would think traveling with a child who gets "severe asthma reactions to upper respiratory infections" would be risky during flu season which is more dangerous to children, historically and at this point, than COVID-19.

And not only during flu season.

If someone is now having concerns about Covid-19 because of health conditions or age, why haven't they been concerned before when people were boarding with colds, flu, norovirus and multiple other illnesses that could spread throughout the ship.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Incorrect.

NCL does NOT sell CFAR insurance. If you cancel, you file an insurance claim with NCL's insurance carrier. If you have a covered reason for cancellation (medical condition, etc.), the insurance company will reimburse you for 100% of the cancellation penalty. If you are cancelling because you are afraid of a virus, you will get $0 from the insurance company. You send your denied insurance claim to NCL and they give you 75% of 90% in FCC. 

With the current Peace of Mind, anyone can cancel because they are afraid of the virus and get 100% in FCC. 

I was on the phone with them this morning, they said the current Peace of Mind policy does not apply to our case, because we already cancelled (based on their explicit instructions to us to cancel in order to ask customer care for a credit). When I got upset (after many rounds back and fourth) that a Peace-of-Mind policy does not apply based on a technicality they hung up on me.

1 hour ago, abualsamid said:

I booked a cruise for my family, including two children with disabilities, for our Spring Break vacation.
My child has a history of severe asthma reactions to upper respiratory infections. 
I called them to ask for a refund for a future trip. They flat out refused. I called the following week, and the lady explicitly told me to "cancel the reservation and write to our customer care team" as the only option.
I did so, and was flat out denied by the customer care team. I wrote them back, I was flat out denied. I called again, I was flat out denied. Every time with zero empathy.

Today, they announced "peace of mind, cancel your reservation if you are worried about corona virus." I called and they said "you already canceled, this does not apply to you". When I lost my temper the customer service HUNG UP THE PHONE.

Lol...it's flu season....welcome to reality.  Good lord...entitlement anyone?

20 minutes ago, galagirl5 said:

Incorrect.  You are spreading false information.  You cannot cancel a cruise because a fear of a virus and get any refund period.  NCL's cancel for any reason would NOT refund you either but give you future cruise credit.

Please research the policy.  

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

And not only during flu season.

If someone is now having concerns about Covid-19 because of health conditions or age, why haven't they been concerned before when people were boarding with colds, flu, norovirus and multiple other illnesses that could spread throughout the ship.

BINGO!  

4 minutes ago, Sara_smile said:

Incorrect.  You are spreading false information.  You cannot cancel a cruise because a fear of a virus and get any refund period.  NCL's cancel for any reason would NOT refund you either but give you future cruise credit.

Please research the policy.  

You do realize that you can purchase CFAR insurance from other insurance companies having nothing to do with NCL, right? They refund about 75% in cash if you cancel for a non refundable reason. You can just say you don’t feel like going.

• Like 1

Write a letter to Mr. Harry Sommer, President & CEO of NCL. Explain what happened & include as many details as possible: dates you called, names of the people you spoke to, your NCL loyalty number, etc. Be respectful & appeal to his sense of justice.

Make note of the new Peace of Mind policy & tell him that it should apply equally to your family regardless of when you tried to cancel the cruise. Tell him that you'd like to take advantage of "the full refund in the form of a future cruise credit".

I'm sure that NCL's Customer Service or their website can provide you with his mailing address.

Keep a copy of the letter for your reference.

Trust me, someone will return your call.

• Like 7

I knowing you have a child who very well could not travel due to medical reasons, why in the he’ll would you not purchase travel insurance?  

• Like 3

Screw NCL, they've lost my business for good. I'm so turned off

I smell a newly born, only 1 hour old, troll....🙄

• Like 2