Time for Oceania to review Cancellations ??

roger b

1 hour ago, eldaradoe said:

Again....how can you put this on any cruise line.....this has never happened before...but you can opt to purchase insurance to cancel

The problem is most travel insurance does not cover epidemics/pandemics. 

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Which is probably not offered these days.

It was.... But you may be right..... But could you imagine if the cruise lines or for that matter airlines and any travel company allowing you to cancel closer to departure.... Either the price would go through the roof and or the services level would be pathetic. I know for myself it takes months to plan most cruises unless it's to the Caribbean or someplace similar. They need to sail with nearly full ships otherwise we all lose.

Edited by eldaradoe

My comment may be incredibly dated but when we first sailed on Oceania, in the very early days, we were booked on a B2B:  LA to Costa Rica/Costa Rica to Miami.  My mother joined us for the first leg of that itinerary.

The first leg was much undersold.  They even offered 4 level upgrades relatively close to sailing, so DH and I moved from an "A" to a PH and Mom went from an "F" or thereabouts to an "A".  No extra charge for either of us.

The first leg wasn't so undersold that they couldn't/wouldn't sail ... the second leg was full.

Then again, Oceania was very new back then.  This was early 2004 I think.

I'm just saying that sailing empty on a one-time basis may not be a death knell ... whereas consistently doing so ...

Mura

It seems like everyone gets different information. I have it in writing from my TA that if I cancel my June 26 Baltic cruise on Marina before final payment date of April 1 I will get my $1500 deposit back and no administration fee will be charged.

I will likely do this as I don't want a FCC as I have other vacation plans for the rest of 2020 and have no idea when or if O will survive and I will be able to sail with them again. I am going to keep my flights and hotel reservations and if Oceania is able to resume sailing in Europe in June and the itinerary is not changed then I will re book the cruise. I don't have anything else going on those 2 weeks so I can go on short notice. O should know a month in advance whether a cruise is canceled or not, whether the airlines have resumed flying to Europe. There will be plenty of space and likely the price will be lower and extra perks thrown in to encourage people to sail. If the price is higher then I won't go this year and will try for summer 2021 when the same itinerary on marina is being offered 3 times.

"Suspend" appears to be the new word smithed by Oceania's lawyers to avoid the dreaded "Cancellation" verbiage. These cruise line contracts are written so cleverly as to render them virtually worthless. I don't know that I have seen one post yet where someone actually got their cash refunded...and in hand.

3 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

How did you manage that?

I dunno. My TA had already notified me a few weeks ago about extending the penalty date and final payment date. it is actually April 11 but she gives her clients a 10 day window to not miss the deadline.

As it is, when the $1500 deposit is refunded I no longer have the credit card used to pay it. I am not sure where the money will go.

15 minutes ago, susiesan said:

It seems like everyone gets different information. I have it in writing from my TA that if I cancel my June 26 Baltic cruise on Marina before final payment date of April 1 I will get my $1500 deposit back and no administration fee will be charged.

I will likely do this as I don't want a FCC as I have other vacation plans for the rest of 2020 and have no idea when or if O will survive and I will be able to sail with them again. I am going to keep my flights and hotel reservations and if Oceania is able to resume sailing in Europe in June and the itinerary is not changed then I will re book the cruise. I don't have anything else going on those 2 weeks so I can go on short notice. O should know a month in advance whether a cruise is canceled or not, whether the airlines have resumed flying to Europe. There will be plenty of space and likely the price will be lower and extra perks thrown in to encourage people to sail. If the price is higher then I won't go this year and will try for summer 2021 when the same itinerary on marina is being offered 3 times.

Your TA must be paying the admin fee??  Your April 1 date is at least within the $250 admin charge bracket.

Check your invoice from Oceania, Page 2, gives the "Guest Cancellation Schedule" for your class of stateroom.  Your exact dates for each time frame and charges are given.

Mine for a veranda schedule is:  121 days or more prior to departure - charges are 0% of full fare.

120-91 days prior to departure- charges are $250 per person.  90 -76 days prior to departure- charges are 25% of full fair.  ETC.

7 hours ago, arima22 said:

Your TA must be paying the admin fee??  Your April 1 date is at least within the $250 admin charge bracket.

Check your invoice from Oceania, Page 2, gives the "Guest Cancellation Schedule" for your class of stateroom.  Your exact dates for each time frame and charges are given.

Mine for a veranda schedule is:  121 days or more prior to departure - charges are 0% of full fare.

120-91 days prior to departure- charges are $250 per person.  90 -76 days prior to departure- charges are 25% of full fair.  ETC.

Mine is similar. We are past the 0% date.

My question is do we get our initial deposit back and they only keep $250 of that money if we cancel within the 120-91 day window?

Yes, if you cancel prior to your final payment date as stated on your invoice.  Or if you booked while on board a prior cruise you can move your down payment to another cruise- some time limits may apply- and may be limited to one change for that.booking.

34 minutes ago, arima22 said:

Yes, if you cancel prior to your final payment date as stated on your invoice.  Or if you booked while on board a prior cruise you can move your down payment to another cruise- some time limits may apply- and may be limited to one change for that.booking.

We don't want to move our down payment to another cruise. Who knows what the future holds. My questions is do we only loose the $250 cancellation fee or is it the $250 in addition to our deposit?

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

I am checking the above, I do not think it is true..JMHO

Jancruz1

50 minutes ago, schmerl said:

We don't want to move our down payment to another cruise. Who knows what the future holds. My questions is do we only loose the $250 cancellation fee or is it the $250 in addition to our deposit?

They will keep the $250 Admin fee  & you  can use it towards another cruise 

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue. 

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

If you do not book another O cruise then it is lost

29 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

They will keep the $250 Admin fee  & you  can use it towards another cruise 

+The Administrative Fee may be converted to a future cruise credit redeemable on bookings made up to 12 months after cancellation date and for travel within two years of issue. 

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005306234-What-is-your-cancellation-and-refund-policy-

If you do not book another O cruise then it is lost

So we would get the rest of our deposit back just minus the $250?  I'm fine with that. 

1 hour ago, schmerl said:

I believe you they deduct $250 from your deposit and return the rest.  My advice is to check with your TA.  But think about it.  They only have your deposit, and they can't charge you an additional $250.  So how could they lose $250 and the deposit?

I think the $250 administrative fee was instituted because too many people took advantage of the full refund fee option at the last minute before the normal penalties kicked in.  Others may want to correct me.

But call your TA and clarify...or if you booked directly with O, call them and ask directly.  Better than relying on third party info.

9 minutes ago, schmerl said:

So we would get the rest of our deposit back just minus the $250?  I'm fine with that. 

Check the  terms & time frame for the cancellation

I would check with your TA  to be sure 

If you book a top suite   the  refund amounts are different  as per  the link I posted above

12 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I am checking the above, I do not think it is true..JMHO

Jancruz1

Jan, since you seem to have the ear of someone at Oceania, it would go a long way for those of us with cruises in the next 2-3 months with final payments coming due now while the fleet is grounded, to have Oceania extend the final payment due date and have no cancellation charge/admin fee at all. I had 20 people on my roll call  for June 26 Marina Baltic. 12 have cancelled due to uncertainty about the cruise even going and not wanting to tie up their money with Oceania.They all wanted to take the cruise but are questioning if it will even sail on June 26.  It is the same position I and I'm sure many others are in. We don't know when or if Oceania will resume sailing, if ports will be accepting ships, or if airlines will be flying us overseas to embark on our cruises. I would happily keep my booking open until 30 days before the sailing date if I didn't have to make the final payment. Surely Oceania would know by 30 days prior if they are back in business. It has to take some time to get the crews back, resume operations, supply the ships after they have sat idle for at least a mont and maybe longer.

Can you run this by Oceania?

Susiesan, regarding your wondering how they refund your money to a closed credit card account, many years ago -- probably in the first year or two -- we had to cancel a cruise.  The deposit had been paid by an American Express account that I had closed in the interim.  They STILL refunded the money to that account and AMEX considered the account to be re-opened.  It took a while for me to get around to making sure they cancelled it a second time.

I have no idea if that is what would happen today ... but it did happen back then.

22 minutes ago, Mura said:

Susiesan, regarding your wondering how they refund your money to a closed credit card account, many years ago -- probably in the first year or two -- we had to cancel a cruise.  The deposit had been paid by an American Express account that I had closed in the interim.  They STILL refunded the money to that account and AMEX considered the account to be re-opened.  It took a while for me to get around to making sure they cancelled it a second time.

I have no idea if that is what would happen today ... but it did happen back then.

The card I used for the deposit is a Chase ink Business card. I have a new Chase card now. If they would put the refund on the new card that would work. I think what may happen is Chase would send me a check since I am a current customer. I may call them and ask what will happen and I will report back.

At the time I was told that the refund HAD to go to the card used to make the deposit.  BUT ... as I said this was many years ago, and also it was a personal card, not a business card.  That might make a difference as well.  Good idea to go to Chase and inform them of the situation.

57 minutes ago, susiesan said:

The card I used for the deposit is a Chase ink Business card. I have a new Chase card now. If they would put the refund on the new card that would work. I think what may happen is Chase would send me a check since I am a current customer. I may call them and ask what will happen and I will report back.

I think it will go to the old card and then you can ask for a check or have it transferred to your new card.

On 3/19/2020 at 8:53 AM, susiesan said:

Sorry Susie, You received incorrect information..you will lose admin fee 

Jancruz1